Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crackbird?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Went for my 3rd trip today and it was as good as ever.

Soy and garlic chicken is excellent - juicy with a lovely tasty coating. Our sides were slaw (very nice and light) and croquettes (heavy and dull). Sauces were chermoulla and burnt lemon whipped feta (amazing stuff - must make my own).

I like the new venue but I hadn't reaslied that the previous tenant Maloti had closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

dudara wrote: »
    Soy and garlic chicken is excellent - juicy with a lovely tasty coating. Our sides were slaw (very nice and light) and croquettes (heavy and dull).
    I agree completely. Soy and garlic chicken was great, as were the chicken brochettes. Croquettes could have come from the deep freeze section in your local supermarket. Potato salad was slightly better, but still unremarkable. Nice atmosphere, good service and music. Meal for two, with two lemonades and three beers came to €44, which would put it in the price range of Nandos or TGI Friday, and IMO it stacks up very well against those types of establishments.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Nom can't wait to be home and go back here! I'm a drooling on the keyboard thinking about the cous-cous and lemonade! Not to mention the soy-garlic chicken!!

Last time I went for the Habenero dip and holy moly was it hot! Joe himself even warned us, but we were feeling bad-ass. Delicious, but definitely hot, you'd only need a small bit!

Forgot to mention, when I was there last week, Dylan McGrath (of Michelin Mint fame) was beside us tucking into some tasty chicken (possibly checking out the competition). Interestingly, his chicken wings (from the Rustic Stone) are cheaper, and also free-range.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Forgot to mention, when I was there last week, Dylan McGrath (of Michelin Mint fame) was beside us tucking into some tasty chicken (possibly checking out the competition). Interestingly, his chicken wings (from the Rustic Stone) are cheaper, and also free-range.

They wonderful Are how do I book Crackbird hopeless at twitter do I just walk in many thanks I advance , want to bring my mistress there Sat night.

• Advertisement

Hootanany wrote: »
    They wonderful Are how do I book Crackbird hopeless at twitter do I just walk in many thanks I advance , want to bring my mistress there Sat night.
    You can just walk-in. There will likely be a queue, but it seems to move pretty quickly. The maitress d' seems to have a bloody good memory (takes no notes and seems to get everyone into the restaurant in largely the right order), and will serve you drinks outside while you wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭amandausa

i'm intrigued the food looks delicious! why did they close the first time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

It didn't close, originally Crackbird was opened as a "pop-up" restaurant, temporary, 12 weeks only.
    it proved so successful during these initial 12 weeks that Jo decided to open it up in a permanent spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

went here today for the first time, remembered reading about it here, chicken will never taste the same again. delish. soy garlic chicken, I could eat this forever. good value for money, good beers also, great to see them supporting Irish craft brewers 8 degrees rather than the usual muck..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Crackbird is closing on Sunday 22nd SAD FACE.

• Advertisement

Anyone tried Pyg restaurant up the road (another recent pop-up restaurant). The value was really good, even if the Tuna was well over-done. Really nice meal apart from that error. Lovely setting in Powerscourt Townhouse too, though it was very quiet last Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Anyone tried Pyg restaurant up the road (another recent pop-up restaurant). The value was really good, even if the Tuna was well over-done. Really nice meal apart from that error. Lovely setting in Powerscourt Townhouse too, though it was very quiet last Friday night.

That's no small error:eek:

olaola wrote: »
    Crackbird is closing on Sunday 22nd SAD FACE.

I'm not 100% sure but I think it's only closing for a revamp...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

tfak85 wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure but I think it's only closing for a revamp...

Their last two tweets on the matter were....

CrackBird @CrackBIRDdublin 15 Jan "only 7 more sleeps till the chicken gets it. we flock off on 22nd"

CrackBird @CrackBIRDdublin 11 Jan "the accountants are wrecking my head that we are not shouting about the fact WE FLOCK OFF IN 10 DAYS time"

No mention that it's for a revamp

That's no small error:eek:
    Very true. I was still impressed that I got all of the Tuna and calamari I could eat on a bed of french beans and baby potatoes in a lovely Italian sauce for €12. I'm hoping that it's because they are relatively new that the Tuna was so over-done (I had asked for medium). Starter (shared) plus two cocktails, two main courses (one large, one small) + one side-dish, plus a beer and a coffee, for €50 and small change. Will probably go back. Menu.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Their last two tweets on the matter were....

CrackBird @CrackBIRDdublin 15 Jan "only 7 more sleeps till the chicken gets it. we flock off on 22nd"

CrackBird @CrackBIRDdublin 11 Jan "the accountants are wrecking my head that we are not shouting about the fact WE FLOCK OFF IN 10 DAYS time"

No mention that it's for a revamp

Went last night - as delicious as always. We asked, and it's defo closing, but he's opening something new in its place. Not another Jo' Burger - but it's a 'surprise'.

olaola wrote: »
    Went last night - as delicious as always. We asked, and it's defo closing, but he's opening something new in its place. Not another Jo' Burger - but it's a 'surprise'.

Oh right, I'm surprised to hear Crackbird itself is closing, though I have to say Jo'Burger is my favourite of the three..

I do think it is people like him that will start to pull this country out of recession, he just keeps going, opening places and employing hipsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Oh right, I'm surprised to hear Crackbird itself is closing, though I have to say Jo'Burger is my favourite of the three..

I do think it is people like him that will start to pull this country out of recession, he just keeps going, opening places and employing hipsters.

Who runs it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Joe Macken. Also owner of Jo'burger.

Joe Macken. Also owner of Jo'burger.

UPDATE! My sis in law is having lunch in there today - they said it will open up somewhere else. Phew!

• Advertisement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ5aEhGuBYk

This pretty annoying video reveals the fact that Crackbird re-opens on Dame St on the 26th, it's funny, I remember Joe Twittering something about "something happening in Mermaid" a few months ago, i wonder if that's where their moving too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

This pretty annoying video reveals the fact that Crackbird re-opens on Dame St on the 26th, it's funny, I remember Joe Twittering something about "something happening in Mermaid" a few months ago, i wonder if that's where their moving too...

Oh, that's interesting. I saw builders working on the Mermaid 2 days ago. Hmmm...
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Bigtalker

I went with my husband to crackbird before it closed last week and was so dissapointed!

We got the chilli chicken croquettes, chicken wings, potato balls and Jalopeno 'sauce' (chopped up peppers). For the price of the food I was VERY underwhelmed. Service was so slow, we were squashed on a table with a group of over excited and painful girls. The food is expensive for what you get (12 euros for chicken wings starter portion and could have been made at home easily). The chicken is not free range or in anyway special. The staff are a bit nonchalant too.

Will not be back there! However....

The week previously we went to skinflint dublin. This is a pizza pop up restaurant and we got the #tweatseats. The food here was REALLY nice. We left stuffed and enjoyed every bite!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

the video gives the address as 60 Dame St, which is where Fans is/was ?

http://www.locationary.com/place/en/IE/Dublin/Dublin/Fan's-p1023193736.jsp

the video gives the address as 60 Dame St, which is where Fans is/was ?

http://www.locationary.com/place/en/IE/Dublin/Dublin/Fan's-p1023193736.jsp

Yes, I realised that yesterday, should have double checked the address before posting!

Bigtalker wrote: »
    I went with my husband to crackbird before it closed last week and was so dissapointed!

We got the chilli chicken croquettes, chicken wings, potato balls and Jalopeno 'sauce' (chopped up peppers). For the price of the food I was VERY underwhelmed. Service was so slow, we were squashed on a table with a group of over excited and painful girls. The food is expensive for what you get (12 euros for chicken wings starter portion and could have been made at home easily). The chicken is not free range or in anyway special. The staff are a bit nonchalant too.

Will not be back there! However....

The week previously we went to skinflint dublin. This is a pizza pop up restaurant and we got the #tweatseats. The food here was REALLY nice. We left stuffed and enjoyed every bite!

Get the chicken! Not the fluff in the menu. It's ALL about the chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Coming into on the 77a this morning and Crackbird are indeed moving into Fan's on Dame Street.

They have the sign up over the place now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Yes, they moved into the former Fan's.
    Had lunch there today for the first time, MY GOD they were fantastic! How anyone can have an entirely bad experience there, I just don't get it. Probably just wasn't your day.
    My husband had half buttermilk chicken -- they were unbelievably moist & seasoned nicely.
    I had a dozen of habanero & honey chicken wings which, with the provided lime squeezed on to them, were tasty & juicy.
    We shared a generous portion of slaw between us.
    I downed the soda mint lime & ginger lemon for my husband. Again, served generously in jam jars.
    Staff were very attentive and friendly.
    I could see myself going back every week just to try the rest of the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

How much is the lunch menu is cheaper during the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

How many times will this place close down and reopen...

And when will people realise its a total swindle to keep the place in peoples minds!

"Did you hear crackbirds back open! We'll defo have to hit that **** up soooonn"

"FLOCK! Crackbirds closing in 10 days - We need to get involved!!!"

repeat Ad nauseam

Advertisement