Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build a PC

Options
  • 04-07-2011 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi,

Was thinking about buying a desktop. Checked up some prices on sites like komplett.ie...then I thought why dont I just build one myself. Will this be much cheaper, can I get a much more powerful pc.

I have a budget of 1000, I dont need a monitor, mouse, keyboard or Windows license, I have all this already.

Just want it to be as fast as possible.

Help me out?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Something like this:

Total build cost: €921.41 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €173.55
    ASRock P67 Extreme4 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX €130.55
    HIS HD 6950 Fan GDDR5 2048MB Native HDMI 2xDVI 2xMiniDP €204.99
    XFX PRO750W Core Edition Full Wired Power Supply €75.21
    FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse DEFINE R3 Black Pearl €89.75
    8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9 €54.98
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ) €44.09
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA €17.71
    Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B, CPU-Kühler, für alle Sockel geeignet €33.99
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5") €96.59

-Pretty much the best gaming CPU around, the i7-2600k is wasted money if you don't need hyperthreading. Amazing cooler as well so overclocking will be a breeze.
    -A single 6950 will run pretty much any game out at the moment on max settings. Also the option to get a second one for crossfire later on down the line.
    -Fast SSD. You could get a 128GB as well if you wanted, though that would push you over budget.
    -Quiet, stylish case.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭jack888

Thanks deconduo,

How difficult is this to put together?
    Is it possible to buy the bits from an Irish site, not germany?
    How noisy would this desktop be?

Im curious, how much would it cost to just buy a pc like this outright, and not put it together, how much savings are made?

Cheers for help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

jack888 wrote: »
    How difficult is this to put together?
    Slightly trickier than lego.
    Is it possible to buy the bits from an Irish site, not germany?
    While it is possible, it's not cost efficient. HWV is probably where you'll find the best prices for those parts, sans second hand
    How noisy would this desktop be?
    Not very. The Fractal case has noise insulation installed, and fan controls, so it won't fart out noise unless you have the fans cranked right up when gaming (and even then, it's not overly disruptive).

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭heid

The graphics card would be the noisiest.

This card for me tends to get noisy when you reach 40% fan speed.
    The automatic fan speed is okay if you don't game too much but it never rises to above 33% fan speed which is rubbish as your graphics card just heats up.

The best option is to have a custom fan profile via trixx or afterburner.

I can increase the budget for this if necessary.

Could anyone tell me how much I save buy building my own desktop rather then just buy a similar spec one ready out of the box.

Im curious to know how much money can be saved?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Could anyone tell me how much I save buy building my own desktop rather then just buy a similar spec one ready out of the box.

You're looking at about €1800 for a similar spec PC out of box, using Dell as a benchmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Yeah at a high end spec your looking at a few hundred euro saved by building. Not only is it cheaper, you get better parts, you know your computer better, have the ability to overclock and you can easily upgrade the computer in the future. Plus the enjoyment you get from building the computer yourself.

To me it's a no brainer, building is always better than buying.

You're looking at about €1800 for a similar spec PC out of box, using Dell as a benchmark.

Ok,

i was curious, so I built a dell desktop on their webpage.
    Price came to 1300, looks like very similar specs, with keyboard, mouse, office, operating system and 1 year warentee also thrown in, none of which I need, but prices look very similar considering.

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=d00x8303&c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1&model_id=xps-8300

Included in your system:PROCESSORIntel® Core™ i5-2500 Processor (3.30GHz, 6MB)editOPERATING SYSTEMEnglish Genuine Windows®7 Home Premium (64 BIT)editSYSTEM RECOVERYOS Windows® Recovery Media Not includededitSERVICES AND SUPPORT1 year of coverage included with your PCeditDATASAFE ONLINE BACKUPDataSafe Online Backup 2GB - 1 year licenceeditOFFICE SOFTWAREMicrosoft® Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/ads. No PowerPoint or OutlookeditPROTECT YOUR NEW PCMcAfee® Security Centre - 15 Month Protection - EnglisheditMONITORDisplay Not IncludededitOPTICAL DRIVEDVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD) with Roxio and DVD Burn softwareeditMEMORY8192MB Dual Channel DDR3 1333MHz [4x2048] MemoryeditHARD DRIVE1.5TB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard DriveeditGRAPHICS CARDAMD Radeon™ HD 6950 2GB DDR5 Graphics CardeditKEYBOARDDell™ USB Entry Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)editMOUSEDell Laser Mouse USB (6 buttons scroll) BlackeditSOUND SOFTWARESound : Integrated 7.1 with THX® TruStudioedit

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

That system has:
    -No SSD (+€100)
    -Cheap case (+€60)
    -Cheap PSU (+€40)
    -Stock cooler (+€35)
    -Non-K version CPU, so no overclocking (+€10)
    -Cheap motherboard (+€80)

It does have
    -Windows (-€75)
    -Mouse/keyboard (-€10)

The warranty is only 1 year parts and service, whereas if you build your own each part will have anything from 3-5 years warranty up to a lifetime warranty for some components.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

you could just get the german site to build your pc for you, they charge 20 euro, people on this forum will also do it for you for free. No point in getting a dell
    and lots of those parts are ****ter

• Advertisement

deconduo wrote: »
    That system has:
    -No SSD (+€100)
    -Cheap case (+€60)
    -Cheap PSU (+€40)
    -Stock cooler (+€35)
    -Non-K version CPU, so no overclocking (+€10)
    -Cheap motherboard (+€80)

It does have
    -Windows (-€75)
    -Mouse/keyboard (-€10)

The warranty is only 1 year parts and service, whereas if you build your own each part will have anything from 3-5 years warranty up to a lifetime warranty for some components.

Thanks,
    That helps a lot. I guess Ill have to do some research on the parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Whatever you do, just don't buy a PC out of the box! Build it, or get HWVS to build it if you don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

While were at it... what will you use it for? Your budget may be a grand but there's no need to spend that much.
    For instance, drop the SSD, it does increase performance in terms of decreased loading times, but your average 7200rpm drive will launch crysis 2 / battlefield bc2 in just over a second anyway. Windows 7 boots fairly quick as it is.

Also, although the rest mentioned are pretty optimal on price / performance, I could build a pc for 600 or less that would play everything on pretty close to max settings until DX12 comes out, and then the only reason for an upgrade would be incompatibility with newer games tech.

My current pc I build in 2005. Updated the graphics card once, to a GTX460 Cyclone, and it maxed out battlefield and crysis 1 and 2 on a 5 year old rig with an e6600 and 4gb of mismatched 667mhz ram!

Mister Man wrote: »
    Whatever you do, just don't buy a PC out of the box! Build it, or get HWVS to build it if you don't want to.

Oh, why you say that, price?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Oh, why you say that, price?

Price & the fact they use the cheapest parts they can get away with to make the most profit. Building it yourself, is not only good fun, but is a lot easier then most people would think.
    Knowing all your parts are top quality is great, and not some cheap PSU/MoBo/HDD etc that HP/Dell/Acer use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Mister Man wrote: »
    Price & the fact they use the cheapest parts they can get away with to make the most profit. Building it yourself, is not only good fun, but is a lot easier then most people would think.
    Knowing all your parts are top quality is great, and not some cheap PSU/MoBo/HDD etc that HP/Dell/Acer use.

Exactly, the build deconduo put together is nigh on perfect with quality components, OP, you would be mad to go with an off the shelf PC.

Guys forgive the stupid question,

But what exactly is the purpose of this, http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=46113&agid=1145

I know what everything else does

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

it is a solid state hard drive, basically WAY faster than a normal hard drive, also has no moving parts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

But what exactly is the purpose of this, http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=46113&agid=1145

It's a solid state drive (like a hard drive with no moving parts) that you would install your OS onto as well as a few select programs/games that you might use regularly. Your system would be super snappy and responsive with it. I wouldn't leave it out of a system like you are planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

check out the ssd thread a few posts down

they are much faster than standard mechanical harddrives, but are more expensive

typically a 64 gb ssd will cost around 100 euros (1 terrabyte mechanical drive is about 50 euros)

However people are buying them in conjunction with the mechanical drives
    Windows 7 plus common programs on the ssd (super fast startup and everything from firefox to itunes will open in a second)
    Then larger files, games and films on the mechanical drive

Makes a great all round PC.

• Advertisement

Guys, hope you can help with with a couple more questions about deconduos build.

Im prepared to splash out since I havent upgraded desktop for long time. I was thinking I may just get the i7 processor, to be as up to date as possible. http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=41222&agid=1617
    What you think, is it not worth it ?? its the next upgrade right?

Similarly I am open to other graphics cards, you think its worth paying more?. What is important to me is to have a quite graphics card because I will use tower for work as well as fun!.

I think I will just get the bigger Solid state disk, was thinking just going for this one, http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=46110&agid=1145

One last question!, can I get any computer tower I choose or does it have to be compatible with motherboard or anything, I see some expensive ones, what do these bring extra?

The 2600k is the upgrade of the 2500k but it's not going to show much of a performance increase unless your using it for things like video encoding. For the price the i5 is much better value and is pretty much on par with the i7.

I know nothing about graphics cards. I do know though that the 6970 is better than the 6950 but it's an extra €80.

In terms of the SSD it's up to you what you go for. Personally I would go with the larger one for the comfort of having plenty of space, but 64GB is enough to install Win7 with a lot of programs. Windows 7 will take up about 20GB so depending on what programs you need 64GB can hold the OS + programs with space.

On hwvs(and most other hardware sites) choosing a case that will fit your motherboard is pretty simple. Your motherboard is an ATX so on the left you choose,
    PC-Components > Computer cases > w/o PSU > ATX
    This will give you a listing of all their ATX motherboard compatible cases, you pick your fav.
    There is alot more to consider when getting a case though. Airflow, Space, ease of build and cable management. In order of above.
    To keep all your components nice & cool and to make them last as long as possible good airflow is very important. Depending on how heavily and how much you use your computer, obviously the more use the computer gets the hotter it will be, you need enough airflow to keep the computer cool, hotter computer needs more airflow. But in general you need a few different spots on the case for fans(front, back, top...). A bigger case will obviously allow for better airflow.
    The more space in your case the better airflow you will have(sorry for repeating), you will have more space to add upgrades i.e. another GPU, extra HDD's. And finally the more space inside the case the easier it will be for you to build it.
    Some cases come with some very handy tricks to help you build your computer. Things like Thumb screws instead of needing a screwdriver or having HDD bays that don't require you to screw the drives will all make it easier to build the computer.
    And another important thing(again for airflow(it's very important)) is cable management. Some cases have some very clever things to help with cable management. Things like the ability to put some of the wires behind the motherboard tray to keep the out of the way really clean up your case.

Edit: I forgot to say that the Fractal R3 is one of the top cases on the market atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The M4 128GB should be nice.

The 6950 is a pretty powerful card and you can unlock shaders to get close to 6970 speeds. I wouldn't bother with any more at the moment unless you are running multiple monitors. The prices increase very steeply from there.
    If noise levels are very important, the twin frozr range are good. At over €40 dearer (also out of stock), I'm not sure that it justifies the cost. The fractal design R3 will keep much of the sound in anyway.

IMO the 2600K is not worth the marginal cost as pointed out by Fluffy.

Monotype wrote: »
    The M4 128GB should be nice.

The 6950 is a pretty powerful card and you can unlock shaders to get close to 6970 speeds. I wouldn't bother with any more at the moment unless you are running multiple monitors. The prices increase very steeply from there.
    If noise levels are very important, the twin frozr range are good. At over €40 dearer (also out of stock), I'm not sure that it justifies the cost. The fractal design R3 will keep much of the sound in anyway.

IMO the 2600K is not worth the marginal cost as pointed out by Fluffy.

Noise levels are important for me. Is the first sound card very noisy?, anyone with it know?

Will I also need to buy a sound card?

You won't need a sound card, the motherboard has that built-in.

And I assume you meant is the graphics card noisy not the sound card. Hate when I type what I'm thinking about instead of what I meant :P but I couldn't tell ya.

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    You won't need a sound card, the motherboard has that built-in.

And I assume you meant is the graphics card noisy not the sound card. Hate when I type what I'm thinking about instead of what I meant :P but I couldn't tell ya.

Yes, I meant graphics card!:D

They're usually pretty quiet at idle, but can get noisy under stress. I haven't used one, so maybe someone else can help you. I've seen ones from the twin frozr range and they are very quiet.
    It's a bit cheaper at scan - about €235 delivered. Out of stock there too though.

Okay,

Ive been reading up and parts recommended by decunduo all get great reviews and seem like good quality. Thanks for your advice.

Here is the spec Im gonna go for. Ill prob order this weekend, any extra thoughts are appreciated!. Only thing I am concerned about is if its too noisy. But reading about this tower, it seems to contain noise well.

Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €173.55
    ASRock P67 Extreme4 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX €130.55
    HIS HD 6950 Fan GDDR5 2048MB Native HDMI 2xDVI 2xMiniDP €204.99
    XFX PRO750W Core Edition Full Wired Power Supply €75.21
    FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse DEFINE R3 Black Pearl €89.75
    8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9 €54.98
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ) €44.09
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA €17.71
    Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B, CPU-Kühler, für alle Sockel geeignet €33.99
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD - http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=46110&agid=1145

I do also need a wireless card, any recommendations.

That's a powerful PSU - are you adding a second card? The high end enermax PSUs are very quiet but are about €100 for a 500-600W.

• Advertisement

Monotype wrote: »
    That's a powerful PSU - are you adding a second card? The high end enermax PSUs are very quiet but are about €100 for a 500-600W.

Is it more than I need?, Im prepared to pay more for quiet. Was only planning on one graphics card for now.

Advertisement