Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build a PC

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

jack888 wrote: »
    Is it more than I need?, Im prepared to pay more for quiet. Was only planning on one graphics card for now.

Its more than you need for a single card, but if you want to get a second 6950 to crossfire you'll need it.

It will never be on more than half load so it should be practically silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭jack888

deconduo wrote: »
    Its more than you need for a single card, but if you want to get a second 6950 to crossfire you'll need it.

It will never be on more than half load so it should be practically silent.

Oh,

Is there any negatives to having a power supply that provides more power then needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

PSU's are most efficient when operating at 40-60% so having a PSU that is more than you need will save money on electricity.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

At low loads the energy efficiency of a psu drops a lot so you waste money.

Couple of more questions!!,

Does all the equipment come with German instructions, since its a German site, can this cause me problems.

Also what about the power supply, is there difference between Irish and German power:?

• Advertisement

Ok, this hardwareversand.de site is a joke. I cant even create an account!>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You can download manuals on the manufacturer's website but most items should come with booklets containing several languages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Ok, this hardwareversand.de site is a joke. I cant even create an account!>

Any particular reason why?

Any particular reason why?

Damn site comes up half in German even when I click English and it wont accept my address, keeps on saying invalid characters.

Ive signed up for Dabs, Komplett, amazon, never had any trouble. ARRRGGGG

Yeah they don't take some characters like á, just drop things like that and you should have no issue.

• Advertisement

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    Yeah they don't take some characters like á, just drop things like that and you should have no issue.

Ive finally got in, but only way I could do it is to leave out my County?

They don't ask for a County :P

Completely not related, but love how active this forum is right now :D

HIS HD 6950 Fan GDDR5 2048MB Native HDMI 2xDVI 2xMiniDP seems to be gone from the webpage?

Is model upgraded?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    PSU's are most efficient when operating at 40-60% so having a PSU that is more than you need will save money on electricity.

That is the sweet spot alright but a good 80+ PSU should be within a few percentage points of its peak effecency (4-5%) at any load above about 20%

So using a 600W PSU where a 400-450W on would be optimal is fairly ok, but a 1200W would be a different story entirely :p

Sorry to keep asking questions but could someone recommend a different power supply and graphic card from my build since the ones suggested dont seem to be in stock

Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €173.55
    ASRock P67 Extreme4 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX €130.55
    HIS HD 6950 Fan GDDR5 2048MB Native HDMI 2xDVI 2xMiniDP €204.99
    XFX PRO750W Core Edition Full Wired Power Supply €75.21

FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse DEFINE R3 Black Pearl €89.75
    8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9 €54.98
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ) €44.09
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA €17.71
    Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B, CPU-Kühler, für alle Sockel geeignet €33.99
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD - http://www1.hardwareversand.de/artic...6110&agid=1145

Also, can I just pay for these with paypal?, I dont want to be using my bank details?
    Also, is there any electrical issues with using parts supplied from germany!!>

THANKS

http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=38017
    or the 800W amazon for €10 cheaper. If you think that you won't do crossfire, you can get a lower rated one.

I think the powercolor 6950 was one of the modable ones.
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=41890

The sapphire one has dirt 3 with it.
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=48530

There'll be no electrical issues. The only thing might be that you get a German plug, so you will need one of those ones that you find in all PCs to plug in. I don't know if HWV supply you with adapters because nobody answered me any time I asked.

Apparently you can use paypal, but get charged an extra 3% although there have been reports a few times that people couldn't use it.

If you are uncomfortable with it, you could try scan.co.uk - their prices are usually pretty good and not far from HWV's, depending on what you are buying.

I dont really understand...

Are all these 6950 cards the same?, or is there differences?

Are all these 6950 cards the same?, or is there differences?

In the actual GPU, no, there is no difference. Only differences are cosmetic and the cooling provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

In the actual GPU, no, there is no difference. Only differences are cosmetic and the cooling provided.

Pretty much this.

There may also be cases where the manufacturer provides the card under warranty with an overclock above it's base ratings but it's generally a small upgrade for more money.

General rule of thumb with graphics cards is to first decide on a model (ATI / Nvidia) and then look for the best cooler (All other manufacturer names). The model can usually be chosen easily as the tech specs give a decent idea of how each card performs, and they're all clearly designated.

Once you have to decide on the version of that card you want, Boards and Bit-tech.net are your friends. A double slot card is not always better than a single slot card, look for coolers with good airflow and low dB ratings if given, and if an average dB rating is given, whether in any official specs or on review sites, add 10 to it for giggles.

I've seen some fans rated at 16dB, where background ambient noise of nothing happening is generally accepted as 20dB. Madness.

hare05 wrote: »
    Pretty much this.

There may also be cases where the manufacturer provides the card under warranty with an overclock above it's base ratings but it's generally a small upgrade for more money.

General rule of thumb with graphics cards is to first decide on a model (ATI / Nvidia) and then look for the best cooler (All other manufacturer names). The model can usually be chosen easily as the tech specs give a decent idea of how each card performs, and they're all clearly designated.

Once you have to decide on the version of that card you want, Boards and Bit-tech.net are your friends. A double slot card is not always better than a single slot card, look for coolers with good airflow and low dB ratings if given, and if an average dB rating is given, whether in any official specs or on review sites, add 10 to it for giggles.

I've seen some fans rated at 16dB, where background ambient noise of nothing happening is generally accepted as 20dB. Madness.

What?

So could anyone point me in the direction of a good cooling 6950

• Advertisement

What?

So could anyone point me in the direction of a good cooling 6950

Well, it's been covered already..
    Monotype wrote: »
    I think the powercolor 6950 was one of the modable ones.
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=41890

The sapphire one has dirt 3 with it.
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=48530

Both great brands with great ventilation.

What do you think of this power supply

Corsair 750HX
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28060&agid=1630

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

It's probably of of the best 750W modular PSUs you can get.

It's probably of of the best 750W modular PSUs you can get.

Eh, do I want modular?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Up to you? It can help with a tidier build with slighty better airflow in your case.

Up to you? It can help with a tidier build with slighty better airflow in your case.

Well I dont know cause I dont understand what it does.

It just means all or most of the cables are removable
    No point in me typing when someone else can talk :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm_2RG61hhk

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

it would make your case tidier cos you can remove some cables but i wouldn't pay the extra cos myself and jsut get the xfx pro for 40e less.

If you're going to spend that much on a PSU, you might as well get the modular golden green.
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=33065

That much money is not necessary though and the non-modular ones will do the job perfectly.

• Advertisement

Monotype wrote: »
    If you're going to spend that much on a PSU, you might as well get the modular golden green.
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=33065

That much money is not necessary though and the non-modular ones will do the job perfectly.

But my understanding is that modular is a lot neater, which I like.

Advertisement