Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science with language electives?

Options
  • 04-07-2011 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Is anyone doing Science with language electives? Specifically Chemistry core with Spanish electives?

Info on UCD website for first year Science indicates 2 electives which can be languages. Can't find any timetables past or present which tells me that core Chemistry modules can be done alongside Spanish elective modules. Can anyone enlighten?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Generally, if you wish to do a language as an elective you will do it with the Applied Language Centre. Their classes are normally carried out in the evening from what I remember i.e. after 1800hrs. Have a look at the ALC website.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 StradBally

Thanks IrishKnight. This approach is similar to that on offer in Trinity.
    I didn't think that it was done in the evening in UCD - I got this answer from my query to UCD -

"It is possible to take up to 2 language electives with a science degree, depending on timetabling restirctions (science core and option modules take precedence.)"

It doesn't give me any more info than the UCD website provides. If the ACL were providing the language electives in the evenings, I would hope that UCD would have passed that info on to me. The ACL does offer an option but if the ACL provides the language electives for science students, don't you think that UCD should publish this on their website for prospective students?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

StradBally wrote: »
    Is anyone doing Science with language electives? Specifically Chemistry core with Spanish electives?

Info on UCD website for first year Science indicates 2 electives which can be languages. Can't find any timetables past or present which tells me that core Chemistry modules can be done alongside Spanish elective modules. Can anyone enlighten?

Hi there, as each year you should have 10 credits that you can assign to electives, you are free to use those credits on anything you want, for example I did a computer science degree and did a module on greek + roman civilisation. In no way related, but something I was interested in none-the-less.

So yes, you can definitely do it, but you will be restricted to just 2 modules per year I think. If anyone else can confirm this it would be much appreciated.

Good luck :)

Thanks Joneser.

The degree structure looks really flexible - more flexible than Science degrees at the other universities. Just looking for confirmation that language electives aren't to be done in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

StradBally wrote: »
    Thanks Joneser.

The degree structure looks really flexible - more flexible than Science degrees at the other universities. Just looking for confirmation that language electives aren't to be done in the evenings.

I'd say your best bet is to contact the Applied Language Centre Directly, it will give you a more concrete answer than any of us here can (unless there is an ALC employee browsing around here :P )

Just send them a quick question using this: http://www.ucd.ie/alc/about_us/about_us_contact.htm

They should hopefully get back to you fairly quick and then you will know for sure :)

• Advertisement

I emailed them earlier today. I'll post their answer if/when i get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Do you want to learn Spanish as a beginner or are you an intermediate? The likes of Spanish Language I a offered by the School of Languages and Literature is taken as an elective by many students.

But nobody here will be able to tell you whether this module (or any module in particular) clashes with your science modules. In general, I think Science students have busy timetables so fitting in electives can be tricky, but many take Arts modules as electives.

I presume you already know, but if you don't you can check out the Spanish modules offered here http://www.ucd.ie/students/course_search.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

My mate did CompSci and did Russian,Japanese and Chinese during his undergraduateship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ExactAli

Hi there,

I hope you've had an answer from the ALC by now.

I'm going into 3rd Year Neuroscience and I studied beginners German (in my first year) and beginners Spanish (in my second year) through the ALC and they give loads of different timeslots to choose from so you can find something that fits in with your timetable (it doesn't always have to be in the evening!)

Hope this helps and good luck! :)

Advertisement