Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Education Grant and Postgraduate Study

Options
  • 04-07-2011 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

A friend told me earlier that you can only get the County Council Grant for 3 years of a postgraduate degree. I've been trying to research it but can't find out about this anywhere. Does anybody know if this is true? I have to be registered for 4 years with my studies so I'm screwed if it only lasts 3 years.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's 4 years.
    When you say you "can't find" information about it, where did you look?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lilsis

Well I was on citizens information and I downloaded the accompanying notes and it wasn't there, it's just about how to fill in the application form. There was another thing called conditions but it wouldn't open for me. I was also on student finance but it wasn't very helpful at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Faust1

I've been awarded a college assistantship worth just under €7,000 but I also just received my grant renewal form. On it there is a section about other income/awards. I'm just wondering, will I loose my grant now that I have been awarded the assistantship from college?

I'm in year two of my PhD. and I need every penny as I have lots of bills (I'm a mature student in my 30s).

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lilsis

I'm not really sure what an assistantship is, is it like a student stipend or scholarship? Anyway as far as I know as long as it's under €16,000 you should be OK. Although they'll probably ask you loads of questions about it and be really awkward but I know you can get funding up to €16,000 and still be OK so then your €7,000 should be OK aswell as far as I'm aware.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Faust1

@lilsis - thanks for your reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Just as a follow up to this, you can have up to four years of funding for Post-graduate study, from a council grant, providing that your initial registration is for four years. I registered initially for a three year PhD, and when I attempted to claim for a fourth, they blocked it due to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

scriba wrote: »
    Just as a follow up to this, you can have up to four years of funding for Post-graduate study, from a council grant, providing that your initial registration is for four years. I registered initially for a three year PhD, and when I attempted to claim for a fourth, they blocked it due to this.

Hi

This is probably a silly question. Does the 4 year rule apply to all postgraduate study? Say you do a masters and then a PhD. Would you get the 1 year masters and then 4 years for the PhD, or 4 years total?

Cheers.

Advertisement