Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle 3g vs wifi only?

Options
  • 04-07-2011 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

I am looking at buying a kindle off of amazon (.com I guess). Just wondering does the free 3g work in Ireland atm or is it only with AT&T. The price difference is enough to make me think about it although if it was free 3g it would seem very attractive.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

it's still free and it works in ireland...it's not all that useful but handy when not in a wifi spot, but chances are you won't be buying books on the fly anywhere there is not a wifi connection available.

I got my GF the 3g version for xmas, don't think she's used the 3g feature once.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Darkphenom

Mactard wrote: »
    it's still free and it works in ireland...it's not all that useful but handy when not in a wifi spot, but chances are you won't be buying books on the fly anywhere there is not a wifi connection available.

I got my GF the 3g version for xmas, don't think she's used the 3g feature once.

yeah I don't think i would get the 3g one. I had this idea of browsing the net anywhere for free but it seems that there is not a great web experience on the kindle. I will go for wifi only since i can probably find wifi most of the time when travelling and I will mostly buy books at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

Get the 3G version; for the few extra quid, you can download books wherever you want and browse the web abroad for free. Boards Mobile looks fine on it, as does Facebook Mobile.

That said, my screen broke after 4 months and I'm still waiting for a replacement for the past month!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

The 3G is grand for mobile sites but not really on full sites. It'll still work but takes longer to load and some are little more difficult to move around the page. You can also only open one page at a time.

The 3g works fine in Ireland and is suppose to work it a lot of places around the world.

Advertisement