Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adoption search

Options
  • 04-07-2011 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

just wondering if anyone can help me i started to search for my birth parents a couple of yrs ago got news that my mother was deceased my mother has three other children of which the adoption agency has tried to contact but letters came back to the post office no longer at this address my fathers name is on my file but the adoption agency refuse to contact him until they find someone who can verify that he is my father have thought about applying for my original birthcert dont know where to go from here any advice would be welcomed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MaryMagdalene

Hi Ger use the tracing guides at the top of this page for tracing guides. From other reports it doesn't appear too difficult to get your original birth cert. Hopefully my reply might bump this up and someone who has gone through this might see it and be able to give you more help. Good luck in your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ger97

mary thanks for ur reply was`nt sure if i had the post up right as im new to all this i took it upon myself to ring the aa to apply for my orginal birthcert they were so helpful said it should nt be a problem and gave me some good advice so ill be going down that route to start thanks again for ur reply

• Registered Users Posts: 21 emma11811

Im in the same boat as you ger ,my bm also died and i too have 3 brothers/sister whom i trying to trace ive writen to the adopition agency over two years ago and still havnt heard anything

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

Hi Emma,

As MM said you can use the stickys and if your in dublin, this should be fairly easy thing to do if you have your non identifying information. When you have your cert, you could look for your BM's death cert. This might give a relatives name if she died at home- husband or child, or you could jumpt straight into looking for a marriage cert for her. When you have her married name, its then that you could look for her childrens birth and even marriage certs depending on their age. If you want to do this, print off the stickys and bring them with you for reference.

If you've no identifying information then contact the adoption agency who handled your adoption (the adoption authority can give this information to you if your not sure).

Best of luck and be sure to let us know how you get on or need anymore help!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- sorry for the lack of replies!

First off the traceguides are here

Follow the first of the guides (the one for adopted people).
    Once you have your original birthcert- you will have your birthmothers name and date of birth- which will make it a relatively easy task to find your siblings original birthcerts.

As you may have gotten letters back along the lines of 'not known at this address'- the next part of the equation could prove time consuming.

1. In the case of girls- check for marriage certs with matching details (helpfully marriage certs also have the address of where the person intended to reside after marriage- so its a far more uptodate address)

2. Moving away from official certs altogether- the electoral register is a very useful, but time consuming, way of trying to track someone down (the library in the Ilac centre holds records for the entire country or local registers can be viewed in any local library or Garda baracks)

3. A very useful source of information for people who have moved- are retired postmen....... :D

Anyhow- please do checkin with any questions you may have, and we'll do our best to help.

Best wishes,

Shane

• Advertisement

Thank you all so much for your advice

hi ger
    our stories seem to be very simlar what home were you adopited from if you dont mind me asking

Advertisement