Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Indoor Bike for Tri's

• 04-07-2011 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi Guys, I know this may sound silly but I need to do my training for triathlons indoors in my house mostly - i just did athlone sprint in good time so motivated!! (2 more in August) . I have 2 small kis and no room to store my bike anywhere so keeping in my parents.....so I want an indoor one. I am willing to spend on it up to 600...I dont want a turbo trainer as the kids will be pulling at the bike etc - i want a good sturdy indoor one that can replicate what I need to be doing on the road. Is this silly and I am being daft, can you do this indoors? Or can anyone recommend a good indoor exercise bike for me and 3 days training a week.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Kats76 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I know this may sound silly but I need to do my training for triathlons indoors in my house mostly - i just did athlone sprint in good time so motivated!! (2 more in August) . I have 2 small kis and no room to store my bike anywhere so keeping in my parents.....so I want an indoor one. I am willing to spend on it up to 600...I dont want a turbo trainer as the kids will be pulling at the bike etc - i want a good sturdy indoor one that can replicate what I need to be doing on the road. Is this silly and I am being daft, can you do this indoors? Or can anyone recommend a good indoor exercise bike for me and 3 days training a week.
    Thanks

There doesn't seem to be any indoor bikes that truly replicate cycling. They're all a little bit sit up and beg.

A turbo trainer would be the best answer if you could find the room for your bike and they are reasonably sturdy once the bike is locked in. it also gets you used to riding your own bike using the exact same muscles and would cost less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Kats76

yeah begining to think that given lack of reply! there doesn't seem to be any indoor bikes designed specifically for tri training...supose makes sense but I am too limited for space so will just have to get a good indor racing bike and hope for the best!! thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Kats76 wrote: »
    yeah begining to think that given lack of reply! there doesn't seem to be any indoor bikes designed specifically for tri training...supose makes sense but I am too limited for space so will just have to get a good indor racing bike and hope for the best!! thanks

I don't get the space restriction thing - a turbo trainer takes up significantly less space than a full-size indoor bike. I do understand your concerns about the kids pulling at it, but wouldn't an indoor bike have the same problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I have one of these and they are very good. You will never be able to fully simulate cycling indoors but this comes pretty close as you can ride any courses from around the world and the power brake simulates the various climbing gradients.
    Oh and i have 4 young kids and i have no problems with them tinkering with the bike as its a solid piece of kit with the bike attached.

Demo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Kats76

hi thanks for replies - there is no way a top qualirt spinning bike (which is what I am interested in) would take up as much room as my bike on a stand. I have a very specific space that would fit a good spinning indooor racing bike but not the other. Just need to find one now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭gottarun

You could watch out for liquidation sales from some of the gyms that have closed down or approach a gym equipment supplier and ask about ex demo models of spinning bikes.

Advertisement