Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any decent free to play MMOs?

Options
  • 04-07-2011 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any suggestions for free to play MMOs?
    Obviously a fee-paying MMO is better, like WoW. I've tried it and I did like it but it's a bit expensive when you're a broke student :)

I've tried Allods, Perfect World, Flyff.. they're the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Installed Runes of Magic but I think I'll have to go at it again because the graphics are all weird on it

I've liked S4 League the most so far. I see that World of Tanks is popular here but I'm not sure it'd really be my type of game. Any suggestions welcome anyway, it's hard to find unbiased reviews from people!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

wayhey wrote: »
    I see that World of Tanks is popular here but I'm not sure it'd really be my type of game.

It's free, it's accessible, it doesn't require large commitments of time, trying it can't hurt and there's already the 45 member strong boards.ie guild going.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

age of conan just went free to play.
    lord of the rings online is free to play.
    I think anarchy online has a free client, with more expansions you pay for.

If you have steam I think there's a "free to play" section, or am I dreaming? ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

EL_Loco wrote: »
    age of conan just went free to play.
    lord of the rings online is free to play.
    I think anarchy online has a free client, with more expansions you pay for.

If you have steam I think there's a "free to play" section, or am I dreaming? ;)

Steam already has the section up.

Age of Conan is a big download though, nearly 5 gig just to play the starting Tortage zone. And something like 20+ gigs for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

+1 to LOTRO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Havent played LOTRO since it went F2P but it was a great game when i played it way back when.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

Spear wrote: »
    Steam already has the section up.

Age of Conan is a big download though, nearly 5 gig just to play the starting Tortage zone. And something like 20+ gigs for the rest.

essh, didn't know that. Only listed the others as OP said world of tanks wouldn't be his thing, but I'd echo your recommendation, it's instant action, good pvp stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Warhammer Online is free to play as far as I know.

I bought it when it came out. Serious missed opportunity, pity.

Dermighty wrote: »
    Warhammer Online is free to play as far as I know.

I bought it when it came out. Serious missed opportunity, pity.

It's not, you can play up to rank 11 only as an "endless trial".

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭jamiemc

Hi,

If you've signed up for Allods EU, then you can also try Dragonica with the same account which is a sidescroller. Also, there's been a ton of stuff added to Allods since it launched officially in May, and there's another expansion coming in the next few weeks.

Jamie
    gPotato.eu

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Black Prophecy - Eve type space game.. Not got too far in it yet, but its good fun.. http://blackprophecy.com/

League of Legends - Everyone seems to love this one. Its a Battle Arena type game. The one downside is that games seem to take 40-60 mins for ther 5v5.. which is a pain when you want a quick 10 min levelling fix while waiting for something else.. http://www.leagueoflegends.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Saw Steam advertising Forsaken World yesterday, F2P.

I started Champions Online yesterday, quite enjoyed it.
    The different ways to dress up your character are amazing, I spent about half an hour simply designing my char.

Gonna wait for City of Heroes, it's supposed to be superior to CO and will go F2P in september.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,167 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Well if you can wait a while Guild Wars 2 is gonna be free to play and is looking pretty sweet so far

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Welease wrote: »
    Black Prophecy - Eve type space game.. Not got too far in it yet, but its good fun.. http://blackprophecy.com/
    Black Prophecy is actually surprisingly good. It looks amazing as well. Seriously, it's probably the best looking space game out there. Only just started it, so i can't comment on depth of quests, pvp, or anything really, but it's definitely worth a shot.
    Jelle1880 wrote: »
    The different ways to dress up your character are amazing, I spent about half an hour simply designing my char.

Shame about the rest of the game though.
    VinLieger wrote: »
    Well if you can wait a while Guild Wars 2 is gonna be free to play and is looking pretty sweet so far

You will have to buy the game though. Not a problem for what's looking like the most promising MMO in development though.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

Kiith wrote: »
    Black Prophecy is actually surprisingly good. It looks amazing as well. Seriously, it's probably the best looking space game out there. Only just started it, so i can't comment on depth of quests, pvp, or anything really, but it's definitely worth a shot.

is it f2p? if so what kind of MT's are there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Gneez wrote: »
    is it f2p? if so what kind of MT's are there?

yes, it's f2p..

MT?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

Welease wrote: »
    yes, it's f2p..

MT?

err, microtransactions, how the company makes their money, what I mean is, is the playing field level for people who don't pay, or are those people limited to what they can do if they don't shell out a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Need a free MMO to keep me going till star wars comes out. I'm thinking LOTRO or AOC. Whats peoples reccomedations between the two?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Greylor

Need a free MMO to keep me going till star wars comes out. I'm thinking LOTRO or AOC. Whats peoples reccomedations between the two?

I'm actively avoiding 3rd person MMOs atm so that I'll be ravenous when Star Wars comes out :P

As for LOTRO vs AOC....it depends on just how cut back AOC is for the f2p people. I heard that it's quite drastic (like you can't take part in sieges in late game...which is kind of the bread and butter of the game).

But if it's only much later in the game that the cutbacks become noticable, I'd say go for AOC. It's got some nifty and different concepts (combat system + fatalities etc) that give it a novelty factor that lasts longer than most MMOs, which is perfect if you're just biding your time until Star Wars comes out. And lets not forget...boobies are always appreciated.

LOTRO is a very solid MMO, but it did get a bit too dull and grindy for me after about 15-20 levels or so. But ya, it's high value for a f2p MMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ger Walsh

wayhey wrote: »
    Has anyone any suggestions for free to play MMOs?
    www.astroempires.com

Astro Empires is a MMOG (Massive Multiplayer Online Game), which you can play in your web browser.

Is a space strategy game in real-time, where you play in a huge universe with thousands of real players.

You build bases, space fleets, research new technologies, form alliances, fight epic Battles, and much more!

if you interested , you can play it for free , or pay for some added features and ditch the advertising .
    Also if your interested , I may be able to get you a "idle" account on the fenix or gamma servers there. ( PM me if you want one )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Greylor wrote: »
    I'm actively avoiding 3rd person MMOs atm so that I'll be ravenous when Star Wars comes out :P

As for LOTRO vs AOC....it depends on just how cut back AOC is for the f2p people. I heard that it's quite drastic (like you can't take part in sieges in late game...which is kind of the bread and butter of the game).

But if it's only much later in the game that the cutbacks become noticable, I'd say go for AOC. It's got some nifty and different concepts (combat system + fatalities etc) that give it a novelty factor that lasts longer than most MMOs, which is perfect if you're just biding your time until Star Wars comes out. And lets not forget...boobies are always appreciated.

LOTRO is a very solid MMO, but it did get a bit too dull and grindy for me after about 15-20 levels or so. But ya, it's high value for a f2p MMO.

I used to subscribe to AoC and the F2P is a great chance to have some serious fun! The classes available are pretty good classes in their own right although when you see a Tempest of Seth or necro in full slaughter mode then you'll want one.
    Hope this breeds some life into AoC, it's pretty much better than any MMORPG around. I was actually thinking or resubbing, I've got 6 lvl 80 chars in various bits ot raid gear and there are no more fun or unique characters in any MMORPG around. The Bear Shaman and HoX for me are bloody brilliant, but not for newbies.

Sieges have never worked well in AoC so forget them.

So now to the bad points, there are some real scumbags playing this game, combat takes quite a bit of skill, expect a lot of hot key mappings -this is not a point and clicker. Expect to get ganked pretty much at any stage during a game, you can be fighting 5 mobs and someone will just run up and gank you for the pvp points (personally I wouldn't expect anything else from a world based on Conan), there are PvE servers around but really what's the point ^ ^.

Played some LoTR but twas kinda boring tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Id say AOC before LOTRO, i found LOTRO a snoozefest tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Dcully wrote: »
    Id say AOC before LOTRO, i found LOTRO a snoozefest tbh.

AoC is very grindy once you leave the noob area tho and the expansion made it worse imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Not at all, U just join a grind party at 40 and you're 80 in 2 days, hardly a grind now is it? I do realize there was a bit less content for 60+ but the fixed that with some new 60+ maps.

For free this is an absolute gem of a game with back stabbing, public flaming and all the other thngs that make a PvP server so delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

I'd agree with the comments on AOC before Lotro simply for the fact that with Lotro you will quickly come to a point were you will be stuck and have to hand over money. But I would also add that you would probably enjoy Lotro a lot more and may even be happy to hand over a few quid to progress a bit further...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭IQDENIED

Soz if mentioned already.. Dungeon & Dragons Online Free2Play although not as many feature as premium i.e. less char slots ...

probs wuda played this more if havent invested so much time/money/sweat/blood/tears into wow!

Advertisement