Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed on Blank Screen and flashing cursor on new build

Options
  • 04-07-2011 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

As per the title, a computer was built for me with the following specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k
    Cpu Cooler: Arctic Freezer xtreme Rev 2.0,
    Motherboard: MSI P67A – GD65 (B3)
    PSU: Super-Flower Amazon 550W
    RAM: 4GB G.Skill RipJaws-X, DDR3, 1600
    HDD: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200rpm
    Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 Xtreme - 1 GB GDDR5
    Disc Drive: Samsung SH-223C DVD+RW
    Case: Cooler Master 690 II LITE Midi-Tower

Everything went ok with the build and installation of the OS. Computer was booting ok. When I took the computer home that evening, powered it on and a blank screen with a flashing cursor on top left hand corner appeared. Tried several times but failed to boot up properly. Just to note that I can enter into the BIOS and it recognizes HDD, processor, Disk Drive and RAM. What I have done so far (of course with advice from computer experts as compared to me) are the following:

1. I removed all the parts except cpu and cooler then put them back. When I restarted a message appeared that win7 need to do a repair. It went thro the process and then it stated it can’t do repair. Did this twice. When I restarted the third time, a blank screen with the blinking cursor appeared again.
    2. Cleared the BIOS using the button on the outside of the motherboard and also once using the jumpers inside the motherboard. After doing this, I pressed on the “”ON” button several times (with no power on to the computer) to dissipate any current that was left there.
    3. Interchanged the RAM on different slots. Also tried using only 1 stick of Ram at a time.
    4. Checked the HDD on another machine and it was ok. Formatted the HDD on the other machine, plugged onto new machine and tried to install OS again but no joy.

At this point, I’m now stuck after almost a month when the machine was built. Would it be the motherboard? RAM? etc. Just wondering if HWV will accept RMA since it is just over a month when it was delivered.

Just a point to note, there is a message that comes up when it is booting stating no HDD is detected. I googled this but found out it was to do with a marvel adapter that needs to be disabled or something like that. However, it was mentioned that this wasn’t going to affect the performance of the pc as the BIOS can detect all the components.

I also noticed that when I switch on the pc, there is a small pause before it kicks on then there is a long beep followed by 2 small beeps. I presume this is normal.

Any help on this will be highly appreciated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Those beeps after switching it on mean something. I just googled and found this
    http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=86906.0
    Which says,
    1 long 2 short - Monitor or display card error

But I would recommend googling "<your motherboard model> post beeps" or something similar to find out what the beeps mean for your system. The info might also be in the motherboard manual.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    Those beeps after switching it on mean something. I just googled and found this
    http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=86906.0
    Which says,
    1 long 2 short - Monitor or display card error

But I would recommend googling "<your motherboard model> post beeps" or something similar to find out what the beeps mean for your system. The info might also be in the motherboard manual.

Thats for the AWARD BIOS, whereas the G65 has the AMI BIOS. From what I can gather, the 2 short beeps are just the number of USB devices plugged in, though this is just gathered from a quick google. It should be easy to check by unplugging one and seeing if that changes anything.

As for the problem itself, I would do the following:
    -Try installing a different OS such as Ubuntu to see if that works.
    -Try running memtest to see if that gives any errors
    -Check the settings in your BIOS. Make sure it hasn't overclocked your CPU and that your RAM is running at the right speed/timings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Try removing all your usb devices, this happens me with my Ipod plugged in when my pc boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 abk

deconduo wrote: »
    Thats for the AWARD BIOS, whereas the G65 has the AMI BIOS. From what I can gather, the 2 short beeps are just the number of USB devices plugged in, though this is just gathered from a quick google. It should be easy to check by unplugging one and seeing if that changes anything.

As for the problem itself, I would do the following:
    -Try installing a different OS such as Ubuntu to see if that works.
    -Try running memtest to see if that gives any errors
    -Check the settings in your BIOS. Make sure it hasn't overclocked your CPU and that your RAM is running at the right speed/timings etc.

Just to let you know that somebody offered to test my RAM for me. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll know if it is ok. I presume that will also rule out the speed/timing of the RAM (though I must admit I don't know how to check on RAM speed/timimng).

In relation to overclocking, I think the guy tried to overclock the cpu by changing some values in the BIOS. However, the cpu was returned to normal. I don't really know much on such (though I understand what it means). As I stated earlier, I cleard the BIOS several times and once I think I had actually flashed it.

Will try a different OS once I get back the RAM.

Will update on the RAM soon.

Vicxas-The only USB device connected to the pc is the keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 abk

To update you on the above problem. I requested for a motherboard replacement from HWV. Received the new one and loaded everything back. Installed win7 OS and all went fine without a hitch. Hence, motherboard could be the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

abk wrote: »
    To update you on the above problem. I requested for a motherboard replacement from HWV. Received the new one and loaded everything back. Installed win7 OS and all went fine without a hitch. Hence, motherboard could be the problem.

Glad to see it all worked out :)

Advertisement