Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny businesses that have passed on the VAT decrease

Options
  • 04-07-2011 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

I was going to start a thread to name and shame the few that haven't passed it on...however, it seems from what I have seen though that most businesses around town don't seem to have reduced prices accordingly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

mick kk wrote: »
    I was going to start a thread to name and shame the few that haven't passed it on...however, it seems from what I have seen though that most businesses around town don't seem to have reduced prices accordingly.
    They don't have to tis up to them. Maybe some places are using the spare cash to take on an extra employee, can hardly shame them now can ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

It was made clear that the decrease in VAT should be passed onto customer. I will enquire next time making a hair appointment, word will get around who is complying with the suggestion.

femur61 wrote: »
    It was made clear that the decrease in VAT should be passed onto customer. I will enquire next time making a hair appointment, word will get around who is complying with the suggestion.
    Should be and have to be are completely different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Until the summer holiday season is over they'll probably hold onto the difference, however once they have to start competing again it will be an extra weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

well, the whole point of it was to help businesses reduce prices so they could boost sales. if they don't pass it on, then government will put it up again. If the vat decrease had been an increase, prices would have been up midnight on the night of the change as occurs on budget day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Should be and have to be are completely different

So they lobby to have such a cut and then want to keep the extra when its cut in order to keep profits up.

I understand your argument for "they could employ somebody with the money" but tbh its bull**** as they can't employee a person if they are not getting the business in the first place. The cut was introduced to drive business and only works if they pass it on.

Also if we take your argument across the board then surely all business should just up prices and that way they can pay more employee's with that extra intake....see what I mean its flawed.

Companys that chose simply to absorb the benefit instead of passing it to their customer's in order to encourage more customer's to do business with them deserve to be named in public

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

mick kk wrote: »

went for dinner in marble city today and they've passed on the cut.

went for a dinner which normal costs €10 and got 30 or 40 cent change. Was easier to just give the 10 before no small ****e back!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

went for dinner in marble city today and they've passed on the cut.

went for a dinner which normal costs €10 and got 30 or 40 cent change. Was easier to just give the 10 before no small ****e back!

Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

ft9 wrote: »
    Seriously?

ok so it was said a little tounge in cheek :P but still from a businesses point of view its alot more difficult for them to have to carry so much change now were as before the prices even meant they would need less change.

The main point though is that they have passed on price reductions to the customer though.

Maybe they can round prices down if change is a problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I bet the cut will get reverted. And then the business won't absorb the increase, but pass it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Clubhouse Hotel are anyway (and have the signs up patting themselves on the back, but sure I guess why not! :D)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Clubhouse Hotel are anyway (and have the signs up patting themselves on the back, but sure I guess why not! :D)

I'd rather every business has signs up and passes on the decrease then saying nothing and just keeping the extra amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'd rather every business has signs up and passes on the decrease then saying nothing and just keeping the extra amount.
    Agree totally!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Mug shot in james st haven't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The Watershed have!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Barbers in Newpark still charging €13.50 as they did before.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

hi5 wrote: »

Thanks for sharing this. I usually get my hair cut there and was planning to do so this week. Think I'll take my business elsewhere.

Does anyone know of other barbers in town who have passed on the VAT reduction to their customers?

Theres a barbers oppisite the side door to Village Inn, beside Boylesports. €10 for a cut, not sure if that price is a reduced price or not as im a relatively new customer, but still very good value imo. Friendly and professional, plenty of parking too.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Grapevine haven't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Shocking the amount of businesses that haven't. The whole point was to boost sales without costing the business a cent. Yet some couldn't be bothered passing it on. Pity, i''ll do my best to avoid those that haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I wonder will the powers that be use the fat stacks coming in from the new household charge to reduce commercial rates? A far more equitable and sensible way of fostering business, methinks.

They will in their collective hole do it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Seems the cinema have, was in there last week at around 20 to 7, two tickets for 13.40 or something like that!

DerryRed wrote: »
    Does anyone know of other barbers in town who have passed on the VAT reduction to their customers?

Brother Barbers in Callan haven't passed on the VAT decrease

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

hi5 wrote: »

Was in there at the weekend and they have passed on the VAT. Now charging €11.

DerryRed wrote: »
    Was in there at the weekend and they have passed on the VAT. Now charging €11.

Sounds like they went even further than the 4.5 % vat cut there. No harm, they were charging more for a haircut (often quite a bad one if you the owner dude) than many city centre places in the middle of Newpark. Had stopped going there myself.

I got my hair cut for 6 euro by yer one between gamestop the cinema

I got my hair cut for 6 euro by yer one between gamestop the cinema

Which one is that? That's cheapest by a mile in KK...

Advertisement