Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scottish Independence

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

irishh_bob wrote: »
    Yours and the post above are absolute tosh in my experience which was a lengthy one the Scots could not have been more friendly I had no problems with any of them now to be fair you will get morons and idiots from any country we have them here but please don't try and tarnish a whole nation because I can tell you stories about our own island if we are going down that route I personally thought the thread was about independence

well you would say that , your a rangers supporting unionist who happens to live in donegal

You really need to get your facts right I don't happen to live in Donegal it's where I am from
    You say I am a unionist could you tell me how you know this

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I don't know much about the political ins and outs about Scottish independence as I like most of the others (I think) who think they know it all, are Irish.

So I'm not going to speak for Scottish people, all I'll say is my Father who is Scottish is very much against it, his general view of SNP and its supporters are that they are like the same nationalist bunch you find in most countries, they care less about jobs, eduction etc and get all emotional about kilts and thistles.

Nationalism has always been the tool to beat down the dimwitted working classes, I'd have hoped in the 21st century we could have started to rise above it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,202 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

most scotts are unionists as will prove the case in any referendum

like has been said in after hours , irish people have this completley baseless idea of scotland and how its politics and charecther is almost idential to our own , this is completley untrue , the only scots who have anything in common with irish people are celtic supporters and those of irish ancestry , the majority of scots are very similar to the unionists who live in northern ireland , staunch presbyterians who ( truth be told ) are dour , conservative and not all that gone on us irish , nowhere outside of northern ireland will you experience more anti irish prejudice than in scotland , take it from me

btw , if i was english , id be itching to get rid of my grumbling neighbours to the north , aint going to happen though

also , if i was catholic and lived in scotland , i would vote against independance , a catholic minority in an independant scotland has much to fear , vast majority of catholics in scotland are opposed to independance , they know the english are not bigots

Oh my, what ignorance

I have found Scots to be the most selfless, helpful people I know. Yes, you will find a number of knuckle draggers who are anti-Irish as well as anti-English but they a very much a small minority and if it was not anti-Irish, they would soon find another group to be against

There is no chance that Scotland will become another NI

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I don't think Scotland with become another NI either, but that doesn't mean that sectarianism is not an issue in Scotland.

djpbarry wrote: »
    I don't think Scotland with become another NI either, but that doesn't mean that sectarianism is not an issue in Scotland.
    Yes it is no one is saying its not but it's a very small percentage compared to NI when I go back over I mix with people of all religions and none this garbage they don't talk to each other is just that garbage. Every country in the world has sectarian or racial issues to deal with its all matter of degree

• Advertisement

There is no denying that. It is no where near as bad as irishh_bob is making out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Oh my, what ignorance

I have found Scots to be the most selfless, helpful people I know. Yes, you will find a number of knuckle draggers who are anti-Irish as well as anti-English but they a very much a small minority and if it was not anti-Irish, they would soon find another group to be against

scotland is not infamous for its sectarianism for nothing , even decent scotts are a dour bunch with a cynical world view , you like them , fine , not everyone does

Oh my, what ignorance

scotland is not infamous for its sectarianism for nothing , even decent scotts are a dour bunch with a cynical world view , you like them , fine , not everyone does

Now you have answered ADIGs question could you answer the one I put to you

...even decent scotts are a dour bunch with a cynical world view...
    Meaningless generalisations are meaningless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

well you would say that , your a rangers supporting unionist who happens to live in donegal

Being a unionist he's hardly in a minority is he?

• Advertisement

Batsy wrote: »
    Being a unionist he's hardly in a minority is he?

Why are people assuming I am a unionist

If I were a Unionist in Donegal I would be very much in the minority

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Lets stop the silly generalisations please and get back OT

Cheers

DrG

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

A lot of England still seems to think they are a great power

We are a great power (in the union). Check the wiki page for "Great Power" and the United Kingdom is there.

that they still have their empire.

Who thinks we still have our empire?

I learned very little of the British Empire as a child in England. The only time it ever came up was in comments such s "Britain used to have an empire".

That the Commonwealth means something.

The Commonwealth does mean something.

In reality their government is sharing aircraft carriers with the French

That was due to a global economic recession I believe? It makes sense for neighbouring nations with relatively good relations to cut spending amongst their militaries, work together and save money as a result.

France and the UK have the third and fourth highest military expenditures in the world. We're both doing fine.

and the currency is sinking slowly.

As opposed to the Euro?

Take one look at the debt crisis. France and Austria just had their credit ratings downgraded.

Do you honestly think Britain should join the Eurozone?

Perhaps if Scotland leaves they will realise that they need the EU, that they benefit from it. That they have to cooperate rather then stall.

Who knows.

Why should the UK become subservient to unelected Eurocrats? Does it not bother you that Ireland was effectively cheated into full integration?

I definitely think the future for European nations is under a union but the current system is failing.

Dr Galen wrote: »
    Lets stop the silly generalisations please and get back OT

Cheers

DrG

I am all for that mate but if I am being told not asked if I am a unionist I would just like a reply as to how he knows this

For the record I am not a unionist and not everyone who supports the football team I do is
    Sorry if I am out of line here

Jorah wrote: »
    Why should the UK become subservient to unelected Eurocrats? Does it not bother you that Ireland was effectively cheated into full integration?
    It bothers me when people spout nonsense about "Eurocrats".

It bothers me when people spout nonsense about "Eurocrats".

Why? Because you want Britain to continue slavishly doing whatever the unelected Eurocrats want us to do, no matter how detrimental it would be to our economy and national interest?

A letter in the letters page of today's Daily Mail:

Unlucky 13, Alex

pan5.jpg

Next year would seem to be an ideal time to hold the Scottish independence referendum, it being the 500th anniversary of the Battle of Flodden.

In September 1513, a huge, well-equipped Scottish army invaded England (many Scots seem conveniently to forget Scottish invasions of England were as common as English invasions of Scotland).

The Scottish king, James IV, planned to take advantage of the fact that the English king, Henry VIII, was in France with his best soldiers.

But it all went horribly wrong. A hastily gathered English army destroyed the Scots at Flodden, leaving James IV among the dead.

If he hasn't already done so, this is definitely a date Alex Salmond should pencil in his diary.

Alan Phillips,
    South Woodham Ferrers, Essex.

Yep, I am hearing Mr Salmond is taking Mr Philips advice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Jorah wrote: »
    We are a great power (in the union). Check the wiki page for "Great Power" and the United Kingdom is there.
    *snigger*

Aaanyway I fully support Scotland in its bid for independence, even max devo, and look forward to the day when we can all welcome them to the community of free nations. We have a lot in common with the Scots and I love the accent too. ;)

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    *snigger*

Aaanyway I fully support Scotland in its bid for independence, even max devo, and look forward to the day when we can all welcome them to the community of free nations. We have a lot in common with the Scots and I love the accent too. ;)

what have we in common with scots ?

• Advertisement

what have we in common with scots ?
    Pale hides, red hair, and great big a great sense of humour. Obviously there are also local language similarities and generally liking the cut of one anothers jibs.

Pale hides, red hair, and great big a great sense of humour. Obviously there are also local language similarities and generally liking the cut of one anothers jibs.

i see you,ve fully bought into the myth

No, its true, we aren't called the blacks of Europe for nothing.

You really have a problem with Scots we get it
    Pity you can't answer a simple question as easy as you can slam the scots

Batsy wrote: »
    Why? Because you want Britain to continue slavishly doing whatever the unelected Eurocrats want us to do...
    Yes Batsy, that's exactly what I want.

Aaanyway I fully support Scotland in its bid for independence, even max devo, and look forward to the day when we can all welcome them to the community of free nations.
    Oh for goodness sake - let's not pretend the Scots are not "free".
    No, its true...
    No, it isn't. Scotland and Ireland have far less in common than Irish people are prepared to admit. I would suggest that England and Ireland have more in common than Scotland and Ireland.
    ...we aren't called the blacks of Europe for nothing.
    The only people who refer to the Irish as "the blacks of Europe" are the Irish (while they label actual black people as "Nigerians", regardless of their nationality).

No, it isn't. Scotland and Ireland have far less in common than Irish people are prepared to admit. I would suggest that England and Ireland have more in common than Scotland and Ireland.
    The only people who refer to the Irish as "the blacks of Europe" are the Irish (while they label actual black people as "Nigerians", regardless of their nationality).

+1

bar celtic supporters and those of irish ancestry , the majority of scots are similar to the unionists who live in northern ireland and us irish have absolutley nothing in common with them bar the colour of our skin

financially prudent , dour in personality , brutally honest and blunt in language

financially prudent , dour in personality , brutally honest and blunt in language
    That really isn't what I meant at all. I quite like Scotland - I'd quite happily live in Glasgow. But, generally, I feel more at home in England or Ireland than I do in Scotland. But that’s just me.

+1

bar celtic supporters and those of irish ancestry , the majority of scots are similar to the unionists who live in northern ireland and us irish have absolutley nothing in common with them bar the colour of our skin

I take it you have this on sort of loop you really are very tiresome

Still waiting on an answer Bob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

*snigger*

Free nations?

You insult every nation in the world under harsh dictatorships when you insinuate Scotland is somehow not "free".

Of course you support Scottish independence. Not for the reasons of Scotland being better off for it however. Your reasons are a lot less mature than that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement