Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scottish Independence

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

djpbarry wrote: »
    The only people who refer to the Irish as "the blacks of Europe" are the Irish (while they label actual black people as "Nigerians", regardless of their nationality).
    Ah no its well known, just like Africans, the Irish have a reputation for having a great big great sense of humour, which they hold in common with the Scots. And if you think I'm saying the British Empire was an example of the greatest case of penis envy the world has ever known, you'd be right!

Fine fine spare the infraction brand, I'll leave quietly.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Ah no its well known, just like Africans, the Irish have a reputation for having a great big great sense of humour, which they hold in common with the Scots.
    First I've heard of it.
    Fine fine spare the infraction brand
    I don't moderate this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Ah no its well known, just like Africans, the Irish have a reputation for having a great big great sense of humour, which they hold in common with the Scots. And if you think I'm saying the British Empire was an example of the greatest case of penis envy the world has ever known, you'd be right!

Fine fine spare the infraction brand, I'll leave quietly.

:D

the scots were right in the middle of the british empire with the english , enforcing it at the barrell of a gun , if you think scots were any less imperilistic than the english , your profoundly ignorant of history

as for the scots having a great sense of humour , dont judge all scots by billy connolly , gordon brown would be more representitive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Jorah wrote: »
    Free nations?

You insult every nation in the world under harsh dictatorships when you insinuate Scotland is somehow not "free".

The entity Scotland cannot decide if it gains independence or not. This will be decided by the UK parliament in westminister which is supranational to Scotland. Therefore Scotland is not "free" to decide its fate. The civil liberties of individual citizens is a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

T runner wrote: »
    The entity Scotland cannot decide if it gains independence or not.

Yes it can. Do your research for goodness sake. The Westminster government will not prevent a referendum on Scotland's status within the union.

England however does not have such a virtue. Doesn't matter anyway because Scotland is staying part of the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

T runner wrote: »
    The entity Scotland cannot decide if it gains independence or not. This will be decided by the UK parliament in westminister which is supranational to Scotland. Therefore Scotland is not "free" to decide its fate. The civil liberties of individual citizens is a different matter.

If they really wanted to raise independence at the Westminster parliament then they would elect more than a mere 6 SNP MPs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 EasyGame

I support their right to vote for independence and receive it if so should be the result of a referendum, however they'd be fools to go for it.

Look where our "independence" has gotten us. Nowhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

djpbarry wrote: »
    Yes Batsy, that's exactly what I want.

Thankfully, though, you are wrong to want that and, even more thankfully, it is not a view that the vast majority of Britons hold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

Jorah wrote: »
    Yes it can. Do your research for goodness sake. The Westminster government will not prevent a referendum on Scotland's status within the union.

England however does not have such a virtue. Doesn't matter anyway because Scotland is staying part of the UK.

Polls are 40 for independence, 43 against. Big change from last Autumns 35:53.

Keep pining.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

Border-Rat wrote: »
    Polls are 40 for independence, 43 against. Big change from last Autumns 35:53.

Keep pining.

There's a reason Salmond is trying to extend the vote to 16 year olds.

It isn't happening. Sorry to disappoint you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Batsy wrote: »
    Thankfully, though, you are wrong to want that and, even more thankfully, it is not a view that the vast majority of Britons hold.
    sar·casm [sahr-kaz-uhm]
    noun
    1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.
    2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

irishh_bob wrote: »
    the scots were right in the middle of the british empire with the english , enforcing it at the barrell of a gun , if you think scots were any less imperilistic than the english , your profoundly ignorant of history

as for the scots having a great sense of humour , dont judge all scots by billy connolly , gordon brown would be more representitive

Scots were right in the middle of it you are correct as part of the UK they had no choice but to obey the orders of their political leaders.

And thankfully the Irish are not judged on you your hatred of the Scots and your inability to answer a straightforward question where you told me what my politics were beggars belief

Scots were right in the middle of it you are correct as part of the UK they had no choice but to obey the orders of their political leaders.

And thankfully the Irish are not judged on you your hatred of the Scots and your inability to answer a straightforward question where you told me what my politics were beggars belief

how i was i to know that the one rangers fan on this island who isnt a unionist just happens to be your good self , easy mistake :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

irishh_bob wrote: »
    how i was i to know that the one rangers fan on this island who isnt a unionist just happens to be your good self , easy mistake :)

You see that is rubbish as well I know a fair few Rangers fans that are not Unionist but at least you answered the question even if it took you some time
    Your assumptions about myself and our nieghbours the Scots are the same so wide of the mark its not true The fact is your right about one thing I don't believe they will vote for full independence but if there is an option for full devolution which would mean many more powers they may vote for that

You see that is rubbish as well I know a fair few Rangers fans that are not Unionist but at least you answered the question even if it took you some time
    Your assumptions about myself and our nieghbours the Scots are the same so wide of the mark its not true The fact is your right about one thing I don't believe they will vote for full independence but if there is an option for full devolution which would mean many more powers they may vote for that

we both have our views and opinions , lets leave it at that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

What way are the Scottish public going on this? Will they vote for their independence?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,202 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

No - too many negative and scare stories from the Unionists therefore people will always vote for status quo when that happens. It amuses me though as the Unionists demand the Nationalists tell them what is going to happen to Scotland in the next 30 years if they are independent. Of course, there is no real answer to that. I always wish the Yes side ask what is going to happen to Scotland within the Union for the next 30 years. It is quite possible that England will vote to remove the UK from the EU which is something that Scottish people do not want... strange days indeed

Better together unless you are talking about the EU!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Bowlardo wrote: »
    What way are the Scottish public going on this? Will they vote for their independence?

From what I've seen in this thread, I wouldn't look for the answer here. (previous post excepted)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

EasyGame wrote: »
    I support their right to vote for independence and receive it if so should be the result of a referendum, however they'd be fools to go for it.

What?

For a baby nation independent less than a century we're doing pretty frickin' terrific all things being equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

First Up wrote: »
    From what I've seen in this thread, I wouldn't look for the answer here. (previous post excepted)

probably right. was just wonderiing would they go for it

• Advertisement

Very unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

As the poster above said, very unlikely.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-25917726

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

A big problem for the yes side is that those who are most inclined (in opinion polls) to vote for independence are also those in the demographic that is least likely to vote.
    I think it will end up somewhere around 60\40 for the status quo. The real agenda will be how the SNP leverages whatever vote there is for independence into more autonomy.
    The "England will drag us out of Europe" argument doesn't really resonate. Scotland needs the English market and English investment much more than it needs France, Germany etc.
    But Cameron's contradictory positions on the two issues are a laugh alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

has the orkney islands being linked with Norway in the past ?

has the orkney islands being linked with Norway in the past ?

Yeah, strong Nordic connections with the Shetlands and the SNP hypes up Scotland's Scandinavian (as distinct from Saxon) heritage.
    But it's a bit too ancient and a bit too academic and tenuous to matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

First Up wrote: »
    A big problem for the yes side is that those who are most inclined (in opinion polls) to vote for independence are also those in the demographic that is least likely to vote.
    hmm, I'm not so sure about that, what demographic do you mean?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

EasyGame wrote: »

That's because we don't have real independence we were ruled by Rome for most of the 20th century now were ruled by Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,255 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Can someone explain to me what the trigger for this desire Scottish independence may be, I.e. what is the core reason(s) behind it.

They speak the same language, religion is not a factor, they have peacefully been unitedfor over 300 years, and eventhough their are cultural differences they are hardly worlds apart in that sphere.

So why a desire now for independence ?

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    hmm, I'm not so sure about that, what demographic do you mean?

Younger and in lower socio-economic groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Can someone explain to me what the trigger for this desire Scottish independence may be, I.e. what is the core reason(s) behind it.

They speak the same language, religion is not a factor, they have peacefully been unitedfor over 300 years, and eventhough their are cultural differences they are hardly worlds apart in that sphere.

So why a desire now for independence ?

There are many reasons - one being we are fed up with a Tory led government in London calling the shots that count. Another perhaps we've just grown up and want our wee bit of independence:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement