Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullying ...??

Options
  • 04-07-2011 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I just hope people can confirm whether bullying is actually taking place, or is it my imagination.

I am training in an accounting firm, along with another girl.
    All I want to do is get up, go to work, work and get paid and go home, like everyone else .

Lately, the girl bosses me about, and tells me what to do, I bit my tongue for a number of weeks, then I stood up for myself and said something, and she related the message that the boss was telling her to review my work.

She went into the boss and complained, she had a detailed discussion with the boss over an hour, then I was called in and he said he would like us to get on - and spoke to me for liternally 2 mins.

What was said to be was shake her hand and go for a few beers, I just nodded and he never asked for my opinion on the situation.

So I put out my hand, the girl came in, waiting deliberately for a nodd and shaked my hand.

Now she still reviews my work, and I cant say anything, if I get a job from her, I do it say nothing then tell her it done as if to hand it back with whatever changes she wanted. She gets smart then saying give it to the boss.

She abuses the phones, she messes around on the internet and the boss doesnt even know about it.

Every morning, I am in first, last to leave.
    It has been said not directly to my face, but by her why don’t you leave. He doesn’t want you here.

Since February ever time the boss is not in work, if he decides to take a week holiday, he will suggest that I take a week off.

I don’t mind taking a week off, but is he trying to get at something by this?

Lately every letter or job I do, the boss changes it, and I keep a record of all the changes by photocopying the letter. then I hand it up. I pass it to the secretary to send it on headed paper. She goes into the boss with it; the boss goes it all wrong, with the door wide open.
    He gets the secretary to change it. But he wont tell me directly.

The secretary and the girl are good buddies now, and they hide there mistakes each one covering there own behind, so example the secretary lost a clients cheque recently and she said when the boss door was closed that she was awaiting for me to give her the cheque, I overhear it briefy and confronted her. She just dismissed it saying like “oh Dear”.

She rang the client and as quite as a mouse said something that I couldn’t overhear and the client sent another cheque into the office.

I had the file beside my desk, she took the copy of the original cheque off the file and replaced it with a copy of the new cheque.

I said nothing because I didn’t actually catch her doing it. I only discovered it a few days later when I looked at that file for some reason.

Everything that is filed in the wrong place, the boss takes an attitude against for it, even though I didn’t do it.

One other thing I wish to point out, I have exams to get, so when I am not busy, I ask the girl for work and email the boss looking for work.

If there nothing coming I take out my books to study or review files for jobs that are expected to come in.

I understand that small companies are in serious financial trouble, and I know that my boss doesn’t like me studying, but if I have nothing to do, I would rather be productive rather than messing and dosing, has anyone any advice for me?

So for the long rant.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I think this is a pretty clear enough case of workplace bullying. How small is the office OP? I get the impression its a small enough place. I really don't know how you should handle it, perhaps have a word with the HR department? Either way its going to be difficult. I'm one of these people who believes bullies have to be defeated craftfully. Its often a long and painful game but either way its not going to be solved overnight. This bullying seems VERY subtle and would be very difficult to prove. Tread carefully OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,512 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is the girl also a trainee? Does she have any seniority? If she does not, I think you need to talk to the boss and ask why she is reviewing you.

However, I will make one suggestion. I make the suggestion hoping it will be helpful to you, not as a criticism. While your post is very clear and easy to understand, there are a lot of small errors in it. I know you don't need good English to do accounting, but I wonder if the same kind of small errors are slipping into your work. In other words, are you checking your work carefully enough?

If the post had been a letter - and I see you have to write letters - there would be a lot of corrections to be made.

However it would be better if this could be sorted with your boss, evidently he has the last word, there is no point trying to argue with the other girl or the secretary. Maybe you should ask for an interview with him and ask him straight out what the issues are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 teddy99

Denerick wrote: »
    I think this is a pretty clear enough case of workplace bullying. How small is the office OP? I get the impression its a small enough place. I really don't know how you should handle it, perhaps have a word with the HR department? Either way its going to be difficult. I'm one of these people who believes bullies have to be defeated craftfully. Its often a long and painful game but either way its not going to be solved overnight. This bullying seems VERY subtle and would be very difficult to prove. Tread carefully OP.

The office is very small , 10 people are less.
    I have documented everything, but its very difficult to prove alright.
    I have seen legal solicitor and they said they cant help me at all.

I know I have been deliberately excluded.

I now sit there and say nothing to anyone which is not a good sign.
    Just nodd.

I really dont know what to do, I spoke to friends and family, some suggest that it was of my own making, others just say walk away.
    The thing is if I walk away I wont have any income.

looksee wrote: »
    Is the girl also a trainee? Does she have any seniority? If she does not, I think you need to talk to the boss and ask why she is reviewing you.

However, I will make one suggestion. I make the suggestion hoping it will be helpful to you, not as a criticism. While your post is very clear and easy to understand, there are a lot of small errors in it. I know you don't need good English to do accounting, but I wonder if the same kind of small errors are slipping into your work. In other words, are you checking your work carefully enough?

If the post had been a letter - and I see you have to write letters - there would be a lot of corrections to be made.

However it would be better if this could be sorted with your boss, evidently he has the last word, there is no point trying to argue with the other girl or the secretary. Maybe you should ask for an interview with him and ask him straight out what the issues are.

I guess you could say that - my confidence has taken such a hammering.

The only different between the girl and me is the actual exams, otherwise we trained together, however she keep asking me technical questions like vat on properties etc.

I did ask before for a review - i got excuse after excuse, Met you for 5 mins, then delayed and delayed till after lunch. Then he suggested a meeting at 4pm, went in at 4pm, oh my watch stopped come back in 5 mins. It was then 5 pm after everyone had finished work.
    He asked what I want - we had a brief chat, was kinda of hoping that it all would stop.

I Have asked my family and they suggest to get my exams and dont say anything till then.any other advice?

What would you do if you were blatantly excluded?
    For example the firm took on a guy doing a FAS workplace and now he leaving today.
    Firstly I saw a card doing the rounds a few days ago; it was given by one member of staff to another in full view of me. Then the girl was asked to attend a going away meal. I was deliberately ignored.
    This morning the card was surprise left on my desk, nothing said, and then the secretary came up and asked for the card. She said to the other girl you going to the meal – without the question been directed at me at all.
    There so many instances of deliberate exclusion and suggested name calling but not by the boss – what would people suggest?

• Advertisement
Advertisement