Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zealand - Tongariro Park during Winter?

Options
  • 04-07-2011 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭

I only have a week on the North Island on New Zealand and have heard good things about the one-day hike around Tongariro (Alpine crossing?) but some sites say it's too dangerous in the winter. I will be there in early September 12th - 17th.

Any info or alternatives for a week on the North Island greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

I'll be there then, I'm doing the cape Reinga trip that week and going up to Paihia and taking in a match in Whangarei too.
    I hear the Tongariro Crossing is amazing. It's going to be Spring not Winter so I think it will be fine. I'll be doing it the week after - around the 23rd.
    Also check out Mt Taranaki in New Plymouth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

September will still be winter in that park and unless you are an experienced climber with all the gear or you go with a guide id say you wont be able to do it.
    I did it in Summer (middle of January) and it was cold with terrible visability. Lots of people die in the NZ moutains due to quick weather systems moving from the south, it is not like going for a stroll around the wicklow mountains!

Just be prepared! You might get a break with the weather and be able to do it. Otherwise forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

niceoneted wrote: »
    I'll be there then, I'm doing the cape Reinga trip that week and going up to Paihia and taking in a match in Whangarei too.
    I hear the Tongariro Crossing is amazing. It's going to be Spring not Winter so I think it will be fine. I'll be doing it the week after - around the 23rd.
    Also check out Mt Taranaki in New Plymouth.

Mt Taranaki is a no-go for September unless you have all the gear. For summiting, that is. There are walks around the base which would be fine.

Tongariro Crossing is pretty cool but I'd definitely ring ahead to find out if its doable. Did it in summer and it was easy but it wouldn't take much in winter to make it a killer if you didn't know what you were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

You can definitely do guided trips on it in winter, I remember seeing brochures for it. But obviously it's completely weather-dependent & they won't bring you unless it's a suitable day. You could get lucky though & have a clear dry day.

I did it in late October last year & couldn't have got a more perfect day for it which was lucky for the time of year. Very warm & sunny & no wind. There was still a bit of snow around at that time of year so I'd imagine there'd be a good bit in Sept.

If you get the chance then definitely do it. One of my highlights of all NZ, the scenery was amazing.

Oh gosh thinking I might have to leave the Tongariro Crossing till near the end of my trip based on what your saying guys.
    Do you think if I left it until perhaps the 13th/14th Oct instead of 23rd Sept the 3 weeks would make a difference on weather/terrain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

Yeah you'll have a better chance of good weather if you leave it til Oct. More of the snow will have melted by then anyway which will help too.

It's all down to luck weather-wise on the day really though. It's seriously changeable there. You can get terrible weather even in summer. I did it around the 25th/26th Oct & it was a beautiful day. I know other people who did it in summer & had freezing cloudy weather. It's luck of the draw really. Just keep an eye on the forecast & try pick a day that looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

The killer with Tongariro is the wind which can vary any time of the year. You could easily be blown off a ledge if the wind is up around the 60-90 km/h mark. It's a case of planning the day you want to go and if the weather is bad then just don't do it. We wasted about 3 days waiting to do it only for it to be a wash-out when we finally did and could barely see anything. The day before we did was meant to have been perfectly clear even though it was a miserable forecast....very unpredictable, but worth doing (even though misty I enjoyed the walk)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

jank wrote: »
    September will still be winter in that park and unless you are an experienced climber with all the gear or you go with a guide id say you wont be able to do it.
    I did it in Summer (middle of January) and it was cold with terrible visability. Lots of people die in the NZ moutains due to quick weather systems moving from the south, it is not like going for a stroll around the wicklow mountains!

Just be prepared! You might get a break with the weather and be able to do it. Otherwise forget it.

+1 for all of the 4million kiwis trying to get this point across to tourists!
    Even in the hight of summer our National Parks are lethal! You always need all the right gear!

And yes September is still Winter! The Ski Season is only just (supose to be anyway) kicking off this month. Some of the best skiing is September AND that crossing starts not far from the North Island Ski slopes!

Cheers KiwiPower,I might go Skiing instead as I am a skier. Is there anywhere specific/resort name that I could do it near there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Rezident

jank wrote: »

:eek: fair enough, my mates are into the ice climbing, I'm not after a mountain rescue incident in scotland and I'll be on my own in NZ, so not worth the risk personally.

Any other recommendations for the North Island, I've only got six days there (flying into Auckland) and all I'd planned was Tongariro before heading South.

Many thanks for all the info guys.

• Advertisement

Rezident, I'm staying in the north Island until after the game in Rotorua. HIring a car after the Oz game in Auckland and Heading to Coromandel Peninsula - for the scenery, Gisborne - for the sun rise, Napier - for the architecture and the wine at Hawks Bay, Taupo for the lake and some speed boat type thing that was recommended and then to Rotorua - going to do a traditional night here. Will see what happens re the Crossing and weather permitting. I'll keep an open mind.
    Try looking up wikitravel for some ideas or invest in a lonely planet. Or just look up NZ on there web site.

csm wrote: »
    Mt Taranaki is a no-go for September unless you have all the gear. For summiting, that is. There are walks around the base which would be fine.

Tongariro Crossing is pretty cool but I'd definitely ring ahead to find out if its doable. Did it in summer and it was easy but it wouldn't take much in winter to make it a killer if you didn't know what you were doing.

Im sure you know but just for clarification for others reading this thread. Mt Taranaki is the mountain out on the west coast of the North Island by New Plymouth, where the coast line goes out in a rounded shape to the west. It is definatly very dangerous, due to the coastal weather etc, I remember a group of soldiers dying on this mountain while on a training mission in the 90s. Tongariro is in the middle of the North Island in the main National Park of the same name.
    Cheers KiwiPower,I might go Skiing instead as I am a skier. Is there anywhere specific/resort name that I could do it near there.

www.mtruapehu.com/

This is the website for skiing in the North Island, there are to ski slopes (not so much resorts like in Europe) the slopes are called Whakapapa (pronounced f**k-a-papa) and Turoa. Whakapapa is literally a drive up the mountain road from The Chateau (www.chateau.co.nz/) a famous NZ landmark/hotel and the National Park Village

Rezident, I'm staying in the north Island until after the game in Rotorua. HIring a car after the Oz game in Auckland and Heading to Coromandel Peninsula - for the scenery, Gisborne - for the sun rise, Napier - for the architecture and the wine at Hawks Bay, Taupo for the lake and some speed boat type thing that was recommended and then to Rotorua - going to do a traditional night here. Will see what happens re the Crossing and weather permitting. I'll keep an open mind.
    Try looking up wikitravel for some ideas or invest in a lonely planet. Or just look up NZ on there web site.

Sounds fantastic, am very jelous! Gisborne is like my second home in NZ, done my student days there! Was there for the sunrise on 01-01-2000! :D (But working as a student :()

Even though I grew up on the NI I never got to Coromandel is suppose to be something else all together! Nothing like sitting in the hot pools in Rotorua in the winter! Or walking around the parks looking at boilling mud pools! (Some of the free ones in the town are as good as the tourist ones you pay for.) Just a hint: watch you travel times. Gisborne to Napier 3hours and I new the road well, also prone to landslides depending on weather.

Advertisement