Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I make home improvements to the house I'm renting?

Options
  • 04-07-2011 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

I'm looking to get an electric shower installed in the house i'm renting.

Do i need the landlords approval, my guess would be yes?
    Would i have to purchase & pay for the installation myself or is the landlord required to foot some of the bill?
    Anything else i need to know?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I'm looking to get an electric shower installed in the house i'm renting.

Do i need the landlords approval, my guess would be yes?
    Would i have to purchase & pay for the installation myself or is the landlord required to foot some of the bill?
    Anything else i need to know?
    ]
    Yes you need the landlords approval (I take it this is mentioned in the lease) You MIGHT have to pay for it yourself, talk to your landlord and ask them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

You'll have to pay, most likely. But if the current one is not carrying out its duties very well you could argue for a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Ask the L/L to install a new shower, if he says no then ask can you install one.

If that fails break your shower, when a plumber comes in slip him a 20 to say to the L/L that he needs to put in a new electric one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

It will all depend on your landlord. My landlord at the moment has allowed us to make numerous changes to the apartment (even drilling into the walls). We pay for it all (or do it ourselves) on the condition that it can be reversed or it will improve the apartment for the next tenants.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Gandalph wrote: »
    Ask the L/L to install a new shower, if he says no then ask can you install one.

If that fails break your shower, when a plumber comes in slip him a 20 to say to the L/L that he needs to put in a new electric one :)

1 week ban for advocating destruction of private property.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

As said you need permission. I have an agreement with my landlord that I can improve the property without permission, written in the contract. So far I havent had much time, but have cut away trees, trimmed the overgrown garden and ordered decking for out the back. There would be some things I would still ask permission for though, such as what you mentioned, installing something like an electric shower.

Bear in mind the landlord might not want one whether you pay or not, sometimes down to either the electricity power or water pressure, not sure which, having an electric shower that will heat the water itself means the emersion will not work, which is the case in our house and a house we lived in before.

Just out of curiosity- does the agreement stipulate that the 'improvements' (whatever they may be) have to be reversed on vacation of the tenancy and the house returned to its original state? Or is it implicit that any changes can be kept, without the landlord removing them? Decking isn't to a lot of people's liking- some people love it though? Just a thought.

Nope not at all, just that it be tasteful and neutral. As regards to the decking thoughm sure anything would be an improvement on what is out there, the garden looked like it hadnt been tended to in about 5 years, I have spent the guts of 4 or 5 days pulling back weeds and trees, the landlord mentioned he would cut down trees if I wanted but I said I would just do it as I go along. That way it all gets done as and when I have the time.

The ground is all uneven, cracked paving etc so we are getting LL shaped decking around the corner and loose pebbles in the centre, the other side has a flower bed. I think he is just happy to have someone do the works for him to be honest, we chat often enough anyway and he was delighted to hear about the decking being on order, when I spoke about another improvement I was thinking of he asked did I want him to pay towards it and did say that when painting and decorating if I need money towards what is being done just to let him know but I do all these things myself anyway, it would drive me mad to watch anyone else do it so I wont be asking him for a penny. The fireplace is blocked off and I am thinking about maybe opening that up again, its just blocked over with wood and there is a unit in front so if I decide to do that I will of course need to get permission.

To be honest I think we have gotten lucky with this one, we found the perfect house for us in the estate my hubbie grew up in, walk to the kids school etc, the landlord never lived here and since buying the place has had people in and out over the last few years whereas we want long term and I would say he is happy enough to get people that will stay and are comfortable with the neighbours, a couple of previous tenants caused hassle with the neighbours before you see.

Cool- you do seem to have landed on your feet nicely with that one!
    Where in Lucan are you? I grew up there- back when it was a little village :)

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I think he is just happy to have someone do the works for him to be honest, we chat often enough anyway and he was delighted

Of course, you are every landlords dream

And you spent days clearing up the garden for free and when you paint the house you won't be asking for money
    If improvements are to be made it's for the landlord to hire a tradesman or even a laborer for this garden

You don't own a house, he owns at least two and you're doing all this for free. :confused:

It's great you found a lovely house to rent and want to stay long term.
    But one day if you move out you'll get no paypack for this. Even if you buy the house from the landlord it won't be taken into account.

• Advertisement

mikemac wrote: »
    It's great you found a lovely house to rent and want to stay long term.
    But one day if you move out you'll get no paypack for this. Even if you buy the house from the landlord it won't be taken into account.

Sure I have to live here and I dont intend on moving, house is in perfect location for us, (smaccarick we are in agp where he grew up, love it here, know everyone around us etc). I wouldnt expect a landlord to pay for my obsessive decorating:rolleyes: I own the sitting room and playroom furniture and have a terrible habit of getting bored of furniture and changing suites and everytime I do this I need to redecorate, also if I take a pic of my girls that I love and want to hang, if it doesnt match the room I would repaint the room to match the photo so being able to do this without asking is perfect for me. Landlord is happy as he and his wife think there is no way someone who is a photographer is going to be choosing dodgy colour schemes so they agreed to my demands:D

If I am to do up the garden, the decking isnt costing me much, about 250, pebbles will cost me what about 120 for the area to be covered, B&Q have a great offer on so the price of that is insignificant if it means we will be happily sitting in the garden enjoying it for years to come. I spent only 30 euro yesterday and relaid the bedding in the front of the house for that, a few flowers off the cheap stand in woddies left in a bucket overnight to get life back into them and bobs your uncle. Took me 30mns to do it.

There are a couple of other things that I would like done, I would like the outside of the house painted, I will wait until I am here a year before I ask for that and the front garden is tarmac but has holes in it so I would like that fixed but I would say it would be a long shot for the landlord to do it and I wouldnt be spending money on doing his tarmac so I will live with that.

I did ask for the stairs carpet to be replaced 2 weeks after moving in, it was worn and I slipped and damaged my foot quite badly so this the landlord paid for, its not like Im throwing money at him for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

OP

The landlord may be willing to pay half once he is given the receipts. He can claim it back on his tax so it is worth his while. I tend to agree the work with a tenant if they want to make a change. Generally I will pay for all materials but if it is something I wouldn't bother with I would readily pay 50% as I can claim 42% back on tax.
    If you offer to pay the 58% I would be surprised any LL would refuse once it is not a very personal taste change.

If the LL refuses there is really a good chance they are avoiding tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    OP

If the LL refuses there is really a good chance they are avoiding tax

Are you kidding me? Painting a room maybe but installing an electric shower? Plenty of reasons a landlord wouldn't want that done - messing with the mains electricity is not for the faint hearted. It also involves putting holes in walls.

As a landlord (fully tax compliant) I'm happy to agree to cosmetic improvements within reason but an electric shower would be a no-no. The house is rented as seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

athtrasna wrote: »
    Are you kidding me? Painting a room maybe but installing an electric shower? Plenty of reasons a landlord wouldn't want that done - messing with the mains electricity is not for the faint hearted. It also involves putting holes in walls.

As a landlord (fully tax compliant) I'm happy to agree to cosmetic improvements within reason but an electric shower would be a no-no. The house is rented as seen.
    He isn't installing it himself so once it is s proper tradesman I would have no problem with it. Don't see why it would be a problem as a LL myself. The property will be improved at little cost. Each to their own I guess

Advertisement