Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weak Wireless Signal

Options
  • 04-07-2011 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I don't know much about wireless connectivity and have an issue you may be able to help with.

On Vodafone home phone and BB package. 7Mb/s DL speed.
    However wireless connection is very weak upstairs in the house and just about OK in the living room downstairs.

We need wireless connectivity for a Lenovo G550 laptop, an IPhone 3GS and a Samsung Galaxy S.

Our router is a Netopia 2247NWG.

Is there a better router I can buy that will give us a better Wireless signal upstairs?
    If so which one would be recommended.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

First thing to try is install wifi analyser on your phone from the Android market and check what channels are being used nearby. Most routers use either 1, 6 or 11 by default, change if there's other devices nearby using the same channel as yours.

There is no stronger router, its a lie if any router claims this, go faster stripes. Other than that your best option is to run a cable and add another wireless device upstairs. There are also homeplugs with wireless transmitters too, they can work well depending on the situation, I'll post a link when I find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭G1032

Thanks Pog
    Here is a screenshot from my SGS.
    So am I using channels 2 - 6?? If I change to channel 14 could this help?
    Edit: My default channel is 7. I don't get an option to change to channel 14 (only channels 1-13)

31219433.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

G1032 wrote: »
    Thanks Pog
    Edit: My default channel is 7. I don't get an option to change to channel 14 (only channels 1-13)

31219433.png

You can't use channels above 11 or any devices set to Usa standards won't work (you could try to see does it exclude any)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

G1032 wrote: »
    Thanks Pog

31219433.png

Thats pretty crowded alright - not sure if theres too much you can do there tbh......
    You might get a tad less interference on channel 13.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭G1032

Thanks guys for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

I'm resurrecting this thread so hopefully some one can help.

I have a netgear rangemax wireless-n dsl box. The internet connection on all devices is slow. These include two lap tops, iphone and a Samsung Galaxy, irrespective of the location in the house.

The modem/router is in the living room (beside the TV) where the telephone port is.

What can I do to improve my browsing speed? It is annoyingly slow. Will the homeplugs work in my siutation or is there something else?

BTW, I tried the wifi analyser and it indicates that there is no other networks in the area or on the same channel. Neat app as well.

finisklin wrote: »
    I'm resurrecting this thread so hopefully some one can help.

I have a netgear rangemax wireless-n dsl box. The internet connection on all devices is slow. These include two lap tops, iphone and a Samsung Galaxy, irrespective of the location in the house.

The modem/router is in the living room (beside the TV) where the telephone port is.

What can I do to improve my browsing speed? It is annoyingly slow. Will the homeplugs work in my siutation or is there something else?

BTW, I tried the wifi analyser and it indicates that there is no other networks in the area or on the same channel. Neat app as well.
    The internet connection being slow may not be as a result of a weak wireless signal.
    (Also as an FYI - while you may have an N Rated box, the network will not operate at N rated speeds unless ALL devices connected to it are N Rated - however this would not impact on perceived internet speed unless your broadband speed is above 25-30 meg)
    You need to determine how what speed of internet you are getting to the box first.
    What I would do, is connect a laptop to the device directly via a network cable. Then go to www.speedtest.net and post the results here.
    This would indicate the speed of broadband you are getting to the device itself.

Thanks Kippy

The ping is 58ms, download speed is .87mbps and upload speed is 0.11 mbps.

This is off a wireless connection.

Thanks Kippy

The ping is 58ms, download speed is .87mbps and upload speed is 0.11 mbps.

This is off a wireless connection.
    Thats pretty slow however it's not what I asked you to do.
    What speed of broadband are you paying for?
    What speed are you getting when you use a cable to connect the laptop to the router?

IF you are only paying for 1-4 meg broadband and IF that is what you are getting when you check over a wired connection browsing MAY appear slow, expectially when you have a number of devices connected and PARTICULARILY if you have no control what someone is doing on the other devices.
    However to rule in/out this being a wireless issue you would need to advise what you are paying for then verify via a direct wired connection what speed you are getting to the router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

you need to check your bill and see what plan you are on. then take a laptop and plug it into the router using an ethernet cable and do a speedtest and then compare the results with your BB Plan

Thanks guys....I am in the process of upgrading my broadband. It is still the same package from when first connected, 8 years ago!

Thanks guys....I am in the process of upgrading my broadband. It is still the same package from when first connected, 8 years ago!
    That would explain the perceived "slowness".

Advertisement