Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we keep Keane

Options
  • 04-07-2011 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

everyone seems to have Robbie top of the list of players to leave with Jenas. I'm beginning to think he might be worth keeping.
    I'm assuming a proper line-leader will be bought. If so, let crouch go, and one of defoe or pav. This would bring in £20+ millon. Robbie would be a good back up for VDV, who will not be playing all our Europa League/LC games. If VDV is having the attack built around him, we need a similar player in the squad- we have one.
    I thought Robbie was showing real appetite and sharpness in the Ireland games at the end of the season. I know the opposition was rubbish, but after a nightmare 18 months since Paris, when he was Spurs first choice striker, scoring goals for fun, and on the brink of leading ireland to the aWorld Cup, his recovery may be complete come the new season.
    His wages mean that he would take a massive pay-cut to leave. We might end up subsidising his wages, as well as taking a rubbish price for him.
    He's just about to turn 31, and he has at least 2 good seasons left. I know he can walk in 12 months, but if we do well and qualify for the CL, he would probably stay if we still wanted him.
    Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

i would personally play reobbie keane ahead of pav or defoe in EVERY match. i think his overall play is so much better. even when he is haviing a howler(which has happened lets be honest) he offers more than either of the above. defoe is a goal scorer plain and simple. but when he doesnt score his team contribution is nil. pav.... not a great goal scorer but a scorer of great goals, if that make sence. pretty similar to defoe except he can win a header and can score from nothin but miss a sitter.

i love seeing robbie in a spurs jersey but unfortunitly his best days are behind him i feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I have been one of robbies biggest fans down the years. He has done great for Spurs, but unfortunately his time is up at the lane. He will be sold for 3/4 million, and i hope he does great wherever he goes. Great pro, great to have around the dressing room, and a tallaght man too :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q8HR9iuIGc

sing song in brickies the weekend of my stags a couple of years back, sorry for poor quality, there is a better version but cant find it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkQamFZA93M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

are you seriously asking this question? he should never have been brought back from liverpool. His form in the last 3 months even before he went to anfield was awfull for us. Lets not pretend he is by any means a benifit to us, if we got 4m for him it would be a steel for the club. GREAT player in his day, who ruined it all by going to anfield when he had found his home at the lane...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I think he played a part in rescuing us from the dire position we were in after the Ramos fiasco, supposed to be a strong personality in the dressing room and very welcoming of new players.

His partnership with Berbatov was dynamite. I’d like to see him find a new club, he’s still capable of double figures. Anfield ruined him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Overall in his time at Spurs he was in a different class to our other current strikers. But I think it's time for him to move on. At his age he needs to start every week and thats not gonna happen at WHL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

No. Past it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

good luck robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I would love to see him back to his best for us just for one season as I think he's going to be remembered for pissing it away going to Liverpool. The Calender year of '07 I don't think I have seen a better player at the lane in the flesh.

His partnership with Berbatov was so good it deserved to win a league.

I think he might go back to wolves at a cut price if Doyle goes and I'd love to see him knock in 20 goals for them or whoever.

If the rumors about his private life are true and it blows up I can't see it happening for him though.

He was prob my first real hero in football and I wish him the best but I'd rip anyones hand off for £4m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

ziedth wrote: »
    I would love to see him back to his best for us just for one season as I think he's going to be remembered for pissing it away going to Liverpool. The Calender year of '07 I don't think I have seen a better player at the lane in the flesh.

His partnership with Berbatov was so good it deserved to win a league.

I think he might go back to wolves at a cut price if Doyle goes and I'd love to see him knock in 20 goals for them or whoever.

If the rumors about his private life are true and it blows up I can't see it happening for him though.

He was prob my first real hero in football and I wish him the best but I'd rip anyones hand off for £4m.

brilliant post

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

Interesting talk of Jol coming in for him. Good for Robbie and good for Jol. I would wish him all the best.

Personally Id prefer it to happen when we have a lethal, powerful finisher in the bag but I can see this happening.

Looking forward to taking bookies money on first scorer if it does happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Something tells me that Robbies £50k+ a week is going to need to be off the books before we go in for the next guy.

Advertisement