Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Homeless mans rabbit thrown in Liffey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Whoever did this is a complete b*****d. Something similar happened in Limerick last year. An elderly man who plays the tin whistle on the street (not actually homeless AFAIK but anyway) had a Jack Russell who he was devoted to. He was there one day when a couple of scumbags just grabbed the dog and ran off with him. Poor old man was heartbroken. He was on local radio and newspapers appealing for the return of the dog as he said he was his best friend. I'm open to correction, but I don't think he ever got him back :(

He was sold in a curry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭BickNarry

Tehachapi wrote: »
    If it's the animal's welfare which concerns people, there really isn't a huge world of difference when you think about it. Meat eating isn't necessary any more so it's a selfish luxury. If someone like me can be vegan for many years and in great health it just proves this. Before you reply - THINK for a moment about what you are saying.

Would you have a bit cop on?

I'm pretty much vegan, but just stop hijacking this thread. If you can't see that meat eating and the intentional causing of pain and suffering towards an animal and its owner for amusment are different, then I really do worry about you.

This is After Hours, not a place for you to house your agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I deffo think we should set aside an island for these scum like these and let them live/rot on the island in any way they want .

cool name to post content ratio

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

What a cruel, heartless thing to do.

This guys pets are probably the only stable, loving friendship in his life, and for him to witness this must have broke his heart. Fair dues to him for rescuing it.

Story made me think of this pic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If this thread was about a beggar being thrown in the river it would have been locked after 5000 people thanked post number 2 for saying "good".:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Was that Ross Kemp in the rescue dinghy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If this thread was about a beggar being thrown in the river it would have been locked after 5000 people thanked post number 2 for saying "good".:(

As i said there probably less jokes if an boardies said a scoob had thrown their iphone into river.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

January wrote: »
    Fúcking disgrace that someone would do that to a poor defenceless animal and hope he's charged with animal cruelty...

I hope he's not. A charge of animal cruelty, unfortunately, tends to carry a minimum sentence. If he gets caught, they should charge him with anything that will stick at all that will get him the largest sentence possible. Fucker!!!!

Tehachapi wrote: »
    If it's the animal's welfare which concerns people, there really isn't a huge world of difference when you think about it. Meat eating isn't necessary any more so it's a selfish luxury. If someone like me can be vegan for many years and in great health it just proves this. Before you reply - THINK for a moment about what you are saying...

So long as what is being sympathized is the companionship between the homeless man and his rabbit - rather than the welfare of the animal itself then I'm fine with that.

Sympathize with what the man went through having his pet being taken from him by some sadistic bastard. Sympathize with what that poor creature went through being ripped away from what it was comfortable with and fucked off a height and into what must have been pretty cold water. Then try to acknowledge the depth of cruelty that was needed for somebody to take a person's innocent pet away from them and throw them into a river. This isn't something to be compared with animals being killed for their meat (which I'm not necessarily condoning). This is a completely different issue, and drawing parallels between the two is pointless, other than to push your own agenda.

If you became a vegan because you love animals and you don't want them killed to feed you, you show an amazing lack of sympathy for this rabbit and what was done to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

That's just heartbreakingly cruel to do that a) to an animal and b) to someone who is clearly down on their luck and holding onto the few things in life that keep them happy.

A million curses on the black hearted pathetic excuse for a human that did it.

This man clearly loves his dog and rabbit and they're his little family and they stay together, to think it's funny or cool to harm an animal in such a frightful manner and to want to cause a person distress is just beyond comprehension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

I seen a polish mans trousers thrown in the liffey...

on the boardwalk by eden quay.. he was chatting o a load of scumbags and pretended he was going for a swim, took off his trousers and stepped on the rail and then laughed and proceeded to go back and sit down, and as he was about to put on his trousers they decked him, grabbed his trousers and shoes and threw them in the river...

wouldv'e got more intterest if i just left the first line...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I just hope the scumbag had a hard life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Toerag imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

WTF? Sicko, the poor creature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭ronano

Poor rabbit :(

I am sorry for the guy and all but i don't think a rabbit should be living on the street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Sweatynutsack

The thread title would read better this way
    "Homeless rabbit throws man into liffey" :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The homeless guy seemed to have a go at the rescue crews near the end of the video, I wonder what that was about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Somehow people on this thread have begun to start warren with each other.

I hate myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Somehow people on this thread have begun to start warren with each other.

I hate myself.

Thats what happens when people gets a set in each other

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Awh:/ I seen this guy the last day, him and a woman walking down Henry Street, the woman with the dog and the rabbit perched on the man's hand happy as Larry:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Instead of hares for coursing we should use the likes of this scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Stinicker wrote: »
    The homeless guy seemed to have a go at the rescue crews near the end of the video, I wonder what that was about.

They were taking him to somewhere else away from his dog who was on the other side of the bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

By any chance was it a Rampant Rabbit:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

The world would be a better place if the arseholes who did this were found dead in the morning in whatever hole they crawled out of.

This incident is disgusting from both a point of view of animal cruelty and just being an utterly worthless ****-stain to someone who's clearly down on their luck.

I'm sure if the perpetrators are ever caught the usual hand-wringing about them coming from a disadvantaged area and having a hard-life will be brought up and they'll get a slap on the wrist to add to their previous convictions and they'll be sent on their way to commit bigger and better heinous acts. This country is completely going down the ****ter and the scum will outnumber the decent people in a few years because there's no incentive not to be a scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I've chatted to him, he's so nice and seems to just keep himself to himself. He actually bought that rabbit from a pet shop. I gave him a few quid, I've never seen him bother anyone for money though.

Hearing about this made me so upset, like all a person has in the world is a couple of animals and is willing to risk his life for a pet rabbit. God, that's just mind blowing. So sad that life can be so harsh to people, but also touching how selfless someone can be and absolutely ****ed up at how callous and unfeeling someone else can be.

Why would you do that to someone? :( I'm just glad they're all ok.

Maybe out of this homelessness can be seen with a little bit more understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ball

Next time I see a homeless guy in town with a rabbit, I'm giving him my spare change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

xoxyx wrote: »
    They should charge him with anything that will stick
    Theft
    Endangerment
    Disruption of Public Order
    Animal Cruelty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

This bastard will get commuity service and a fine, at worst, sad as it is to admit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

This bastard will get commuity service and a fine, at worst, sad as it is to admit.

Hairy Japanese bastards.

This incident is disgusting from both a point of view of animal cruelty and just being an utterly worthless ****-stain to someone who's clearly down on their luck.

I'm sure if the perpetrators are ever caught the usual hand-wringing about them coming from a disadvantaged area and having a hard-life will be brought up and they'll get a slap on the wrist to add to their previous convictions and they'll be sent on their way to commit bigger and better heinous acts.

I agree. The person they did this to has probably had a hard life too, but he has compassion and has shown how much he cares for the things in his life.

There is no excuse for the behaviour that led to this video. There is no justification for what was done. I understand the justice system that we have, but creeps such as these who don't act like humans shouldn't be given the right to avail of such a system as they are not part of humanity. I don't like to say it, but I hope somebody who speaks their language finds out what they did and acts accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Disgusting. It actually sickens me to think that someone could do this. Does anyone know if the rabbit was ok?

Fair play to the guy jumping in after the rabbit and I'm not surprised that he was trying to get back onto the bridge to get his dog. The rabbit and the dog are probably the only constant things in his life.

seanor3 wrote: »
    Theft
    Endangerment
    Disruption of Public Order
    Animal Cruelty

Exactly. Thanks seanor - I wasn't sure exactly what he could be charged with, but I knew there must be more to it than animal cruelty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Maybe it was one of those killer rabbits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

The world is full of sick individuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

that makes me so sad.

he risked his life for something clearly so precious to him, and other people find that funny? Disgusting.

I hope the man, the rabbit and the dog are all okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ererer

did the rabbit have a lead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

This is a disgustingly sad story, how could someone be so sadistically cold hearted to do this to the mans pet, one of the only things he probably holds dear in his life, the terror and bravery he must have felt when the rabbit was taken from him.

A person who could do that to an animal, to another human being, is not human at all, they are twisted. Seriously hope the scumbag that did this gets what he has inevitably coming to him.

That man has shown more love and care than what you'd see from any other member of our society, rich or poor. I honestly hope his future is brighter as he deserves one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

lol at the responses here any other day of the week on AH and hes fodder as a freeloading bum wasting state resources, give him a rabbit and hes a hero for our times.
    fuck him. fighting with the guys whos saved his ass, ungrateful prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mahou

This is a disgustingly sad story, how could someone be so sadistically cold hearted to do this to the mans pet

Ah come on, it's a happy story that doesn't happen all the time, throwing a rabbit into the Liffey is horrible but the owner hopped in and saved it. It could have been a sad story but the hero of the day did what he had to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

lol at the responses here any other day of the week on AH and hes fodder as a freeloading bum wasting state resources, give him a rabbit and hes a hero for our times.

You have to admire his courage though,selflessly putting his life on the line to save his pet.What a lovely heart warming story even if there a negative start to it and a slightly negative end.Takes the positive's from it people!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Wow I read somewhere that the guy actually lives in a tent,
    you'd think with all the ghost apartments lying around they could house this guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

That lad displayed a level of humanity and compassion a lot of us could learn from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Never was a user name more appropriate. Your comments might be relevant to some in AH but not all - comprende?

Since you can't work out what was going on, I'll spell it out for you. What little belongings the lad had were left behind on the street when he jumped in. He clearly remonstrated with the rescuers not to take him away from the area. Perhaps if you had as little as he probably has, you might understand his position.

Eh - I don't think you mean to be a troll, but you have surely missed the point.

Nobody's lauding this guy for being homeless (nor are they condemning him). The point at issue is that some prick decided it would be funny to take a living pet from somebody and throw it in the Liffey, and the person whose pet it was cared enough to go in after it. It highlights the fact that there are absolutely wicked people out there who act callously (without, I hope, realising the damage they are causing - cause I'm assuming whoever did this was too stupid to think their behavior through - but maybe I'm being too kind to them). It also shows the aftermath to some gobshite's actions.

And, having watched the video, I don't think the guy was particularly fighting with the people who saved them. Have you not watched the rest of the video? He was standing on a little bit of land, waiting to be rescued, after some very unexpected and uncalled for events. There were way too many people around making noise and taking pictures, and he could be excused for not being used to that kind of situation. He was picked up, and he wanted to go back to his dog, who he had to leave behind to save his rabbit. He didn't go OTT, and, anybody with compassion would have a bit of sympathy for why he acted the way he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lesserspottedchloe

an example of the kind of situation where I would lose my head and kick the **** out of that guy-I wouldn't care if he was built like mr.T and I'm little or that two wrongs don't make a right. A pock-mark on the face of humanity that should be hit with every charge that can be even slightly justified :mad:.. as to the man that rescued his rabbitt friend, I can only hope there's some justice in the world and good karma comes his way. There's too many 'baddies' and not enough 'goodies' in this world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I can't believe someone would do that to the poor rabbit, there is no excuse for that. I hope the man and the rabbit are both okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Aoifey! wrote: »
    I can't believe someone would do that to the poor rabbit, there is no excuse for that. I hope the man and the rabbit are both okay.

I just imagine how much I love my pets and If I was homeless and had that happen to me, some people might think I am over reacting but the people who did this are messed up in the head and should be jailed for life.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

That seal down at the other bridge would have rescued the rabbit eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

What a sick, f*cked up world we live in.

The justice sytem won't deal with the scumbag, but if there's any compassion around, the corpo or some benevolent soul will give the homeless guy a roof over his head & somewhere safe to keep his pets.

(Preferably without any fanfare, cos yes, I know that could lead to a spate of homeless people buying rabbits, but ffs, we should be able to show a bit of humanity in clearly genuine cases of the unfortunate being sh*t on. )

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement