Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Homeless mans rabbit thrown in Liffey

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Lovely to see that the fella that was arrested for it is 18. There's the future of this country, I'm sure this young fella has a bright and productive future ahead of him.

I said it before, this country is going down the jax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

fuck him. fighting with the guys whos saved his ass, ungrateful prick.

Man. I didn't even watch the video and even I know that wasn't the case. Just by reading a comment further down the page it is pointed out that the reason he started to get upset and understandably angry was because the guards wanted to take him to the hospital and he didn't want to leave his dog behind. Ignorance is bliss I guess!

I'm actually pretty upset after reading the OP and checking out the pics on the news article. How can someone pick up a defenceless animal and chuck it into a river? Wtf is wrong with people that they have the mentality to do something like that. The picture of the homeless dude drying off the rabbit in the blanket/ towel brought tears to my eyes. Call me a big baby but man the story cheered me up and made me sad at the same time. :o:)

What a little prick to do such a horrible thing. I hope if he has pets they are taken away from him. Hope he is never to keep animals ever. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

The guy who did it is a well known scumbag, when he was quizzed on the incident he said that the rabbit jumped through the gaps in the bridge. Two American tourists witnessed the events and came forward, explaining to the guards what happened.

He was arrested and charged with a public order offense and cruelty to animals, he is due in court near the end of the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

rossc007 wrote: »
    The guy who did it is a well known scumbag, when he was quizzed on the incident he said that the rabbit jumped through the gaps in the bridge. Two American tourists witnessed the events and came forward, explaining to the guards what happened.

He was arrested and charged with a public order offense and cruelty to animals, he is due in court near the end of the month.

Yep, bailed, even though he probably has previous convictions under his belt... my only worry is that he's going to come back and do something to that poor guy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

It'd be really lovely if someone that was in a position to give that homeless guy a break, actually did.

I cannot understand anyone throwing a defenceless animal into the river. What a total b*stard. What hope is there for someone capable of that? I hope the a-hole gets locked up.

rossc007 wrote: »

It makes me so happy to see people do this. For complete strangers to come forward and stick up for that poor guy when he really didn't have anybody to turn to. It would have been so easy for people to just keep walking and say nothing to avoid any risk of retaliation from that scumbag. Only too often do people take the easy route in cases like this and "stay out of it". Fair play to them.

I noticed in the comments section of that article that people were discussing where they had seen him and that he is a pretty nice guy; treats his pets well despite obviously falling on the hardest of times. Do any of you guys up in Dublin recognise him or see him in passing? Might be nice to get him a few treats/ bedding for the rabbit/ dog, a sandwich and cuppa for himself if anything. Only wish I could.

There's a homeless guy here in Cork who treats his dog better than he treats himself. Always feel so sorry for both of them and regularly throw a bone or pigs ear his dogs way and he really, really appreciates it. :)

Just a thought!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The culprits face will be plastered all over the rags next month when he has to go to court. I quite unusual that he is going to be in court so soon, so hopefully its a good sign. If this man is already a local scumbag hated by the locals, he will now be hated by the nation.

The culprits face will be plastered all over the rags next month when he has to go to court. I quite unusual that he is going to be in court so soon, so hopefully its a good sign. If this man is already a local scumbag hated by the locals, he will now be hated by the nation.

That won't bother this lad in the slightest, in fact it'll probably give him a bit of cred with his scumbag friends.

He probably doesn't even think he has done anything wrong because the judiciary in this country has probably treated him like a victim of circumstance for all of his short, worthless life. We need a three strikes rule in this country and much harsher sentencing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Put him on Facebook and he will be hated by the world. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Really hope this fella gets more than just a fine and a slap on the wrist, people like him don't deserve to exist in a so-called 'civil' society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

January wrote: »
    Yep, bailed, even though he probably has previous convictions under his belt... my only worry is that he's going to come back and do something to that poor guy...

Don't think he will not after being identified, people like this are cowards
    who scuttle away when people stand up to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

makes me so angry, that some people (if you even call them that) can get a kick of less fortunate people, Scum:mad:

BTW some really nice posts on this tread, nice to see lot of people still have good morals and care :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    I saw the rabbit there before as i was walking through town, so cute! :(

thats why he has it, to make extra money. Ive seen him in Stevens green, think he had a small dog, just begging tools for more sympathy. I dont agreee with his rabbit being thrown into the liffey but I wouldnt give him a 'euro for a hostel' because he has a cute rabbit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I have seen this guy on my way home from work most evenings, and its really sad that some idiot threw his rabbit in the Liffey. Homeless people are often targeted like this, as those who do it, feel they can get away with it. Hopefully the scum bag is made an example of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Bullying in its purest form, makes me furious :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

It just beggers belief

com on someone had to say it

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Rowanvella199

I know this man! I see him all the time. That is really horrible it was a lovely rabbit. He has had that rabbit for a few months, and i can always see it being fed, it always looks very healthy! And if he jumped in the river for it he obviously cares for it himself!

Very upsetting:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭Caught

I saw this man before with the rabbit. It's so cute! Bless the poor man. I really hope he's okay. And the rabbit too. I wonder what the dog thought of it all.

I hope the guy who threw it in is happy to know everyone hates him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

thats why he has it, to make extra money. Ive seen him in Stevens green, think he had a small dog, just begging tools for more sympathy. I dont agreee with his rabbit being thrown into the liffey but I wouldnt give him a 'euro for a hostel' because he has a cute rabbit

If you even bothered to try to talk to him he'll tell you he can't stay in hostels because of the animals, or homeless shelters, they won't take him because of his pets.

I really don't think this guy is using them as a gimmick, if that was the case, he'd have left the rabbit in the water and went and bought a new one at the end of the day from Whackers on Parnell St.

What a story. Getting a wetting in a river is not a slight inconvenience for a homeless chap living in a tent, it appears he can't use hostels etc as he has pets. And he didn't want to go to hospital as he had his dog to look after. Fair play to the chap, whatever cards he has been dealt he is an outstanding role model to anyone on how to look after your pet.

As said in earlier, it would be pretty cool if someone who could was able to do the man a good turn in some way.

Big F*** U to all the utter numpties blowing on about how he used the pets as begging aids etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

:( That makes me sad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Hope the guy that threw the rabbit into the river meets an even bigger scumbag in a dark alley, and gets to feel the same fear and despair that the rabbit's owner must have felt when he saw the scumbag try to kill his loved pet.

Amazing courage from the rabbit's owner to just go straight into the river like that. Some might say it was foolish, but that rabbit, along with the dog, might be the reasons that man keeps going every day, and they, as some here already said, are his friends. The fact that his first reaction when his pet/friend was in danger was go headlong into the same danger speaks volumes about the man's character and I hope that his story touches the heart of someone out there with the means to give a man like that a chance to change his life for the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I agree, Kess73. I really hope something good comes out of this for the homeless man.

How many people would risk their own life like that? I daresay that his pets are his reason for living and he didn't even stop to think what he should/shouldn't do.

The scumbag that did it should have his stupid mug plastered everywhere. What he did is unforgivable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Kess73 wrote: »
    Hope the guy that threw the rabbit into the river meets an even bigger scumbag in a dark alley, and gets to feel the same fear and despair that the rabbit's owner must have felt when he saw the scumbag try to kill his loved pet.

Amazing courage from the rabbit's owner to just go straight into the river like that. Some might say it was foolish, but that rabbit, along with the dog, might be the reasons that man keeps going every day, and they, as some here already said, are his friends. The fact that his first reaction when his pet/friend was in danger was go headlong into the same danger speaks volumes about the man's character and I hope that his story touches the heart of someone out there with the means to give a man like that a chance to change his life for the better.

Without trying to sound like a cünt I find it odd that this guy gets these labels of courage attached to him for saving a rabbit. I'm an animal lover myself and I applaud the guy for saving his pet but where is his courage to save himself?

This guy is at the bottom, his life is obviously difficult but perhaps he has never faced up to the issues that have kept him down. I think the real courage is to look inwardly at yourself and identify that fault in your psyche and set about repairing it.

It is easy to put the blame on all the external triggers that have put you in your predicament but the real courage comes from accepting that the one commonality is YOU. You control your own fate and your own destiny, you and you alone.

Like I said I am sure this lad has had a tough life, but he's not the only one. If he could apply that courage and sense of right to rectifying his own problems then maybe he could give himself and his pets a better life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

*facepalm*
    Are there honestly people here who can't see the difference between killing an animal in order to eat it (which serves a purpose) and killing it purely for your own sadistic enjoyment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

It is easy to put the blame on all the external triggers that have put you in your predicament but the real courage comes from accepting that the one commonality is YOU. You control your own fate and your own destiny, you and you alone.

Wow, that's a smack in the face. Most homeless have been let down by the family and system from a young age - probably badly fostered, uneducated, sexually and physically abused, many females are purposely made addicted to drugs etc.

What's he meant to do? Even if he kicked his habits (if he has a drug habit) and saved enough begging for a deposit on a flat he couldn't get it because he has no fixed abode.

Yeah, he should totally man up and just stop being homeless :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Without trying to sound like a cünt I find it odd that this guy gets these labels of courage attached to him for saving a rabbit. I'm an animal lover myself and I applaud the guy for saving his pet but where is his courage to save himself?

This guy is at the bottom, his life is obviously difficult but perhaps he has never faced up to the issues that have kept him down. I think the real courage is to look inwardly at yourself and identify that fault in your psyche and set about repairing it.

Like I said I am sure this lad has had a tough life, but he's not the only one. If he could apply that courage and sense of right to rectifying his own problems then maybe he could give himself and his pets a better life.

Very easy to say all that, but when you are as far down the social ladder as that lad is, it is damn near impossible to get back up without some help.

The simple fact that he has no fixed abode excludes him from so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Ireland's economy is in the toilet. I utterly cringe at people who make statements like these and don't think them through. At this moment, in this country, it is NOT merely 'you' which keeps people down. There are plenty of people who are perfectly able and willing to do something to get themselves out of this situation but there is nothing to do. Decent paying jobs are non existent and rents are sky high.

It's all very well for us here in this thread who live in better circumstances to look down on people like this guy. It could be you tomorrow if your rent is increased whilst your company goes under. Think about that in future before you make insufferably stupid remarks, won't you?

Without trying to sound like a cünt ............

You failed there tbh

RoverJames wrote: »
    You failed there tbh

Yeah maybe. I'd like to commend all the people on this thread who have helped this man get back on his feet. Kudos to you all. Your posts will remain a great source of comfort to him through the winter months.

Yeah maybe. I'd like to commend all the people on this thread who have helped this man get back on his feet. Kudos to you all. Your posts will remain a great source of comfort to him through the winter months.

Can we have a cnut of the week award??

there you go again........

RoverJames wrote: »
    there you go again........

Yep. And I'm right too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

You can but it's going to filthymcnasty, Orando here is a bit out there but you can understand where he's coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

To all those who live in a different reality to the reality this man faces everyday im always reminded of this when I hear some person comment on what he should do in life and cant seem to understand how very lucky they are.

"Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed." Hermen melville.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Did anyone else think it was funny when he flagged down the boat when they were coming to rescue him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

AH at its finest!

• Advertisement

You can but it's going to filthymcnasty, Orando here is a bit out there but you can understand where he's coming from.

Well hes right about it taking courage but the problem is we dont know that he hasnt tried to better his lot in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

For those who think all homeless people are homeless through some failing of their own.

I had reason to spend some time in Dublin with a terminally ill patient, quite a few years ago.

Early every morning, on my way into the hospital, (St. Laurences), I met this old lady, sleeping on the porch.

She never asked for anything, but I noticed some of the nurses giving her food, cups of tea etc.

One of the nurses told me her story.

She was apparently a decent, hardworking woman, who married late in life, and had one child, a daughter.

They owned their own home, and, by all accounts, were very good to the child.
    When the womans husband died, like many of her generation, she was worried that she wouldn't qualify for a pension because she owned her own home. So, she signed the house over to her daughter.

A year or two down the road, the daughter moved her boyfriend into the house, joined him in his drug habit, and when her mother tried to talk some sense into her, she threw her out on the street.

True story.

So don't assume that all homeless people are there through their own faults or failings - they may well be there because of the failings of others.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

I nominate the twat who threw the rabbit in the river:p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

That lad displayed a level of humanity and compassion a lot of us could learn from.

Beggars belief?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Massive respect and admiration for the homeless guy.

Can we start a collection for him? If we all gave even one euro, it might make a difference to him. There are thousands of us...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

annascott wrote: »
    Massive respect and admiration for the homeless guy.

Can we start a collection for him? If we all gave even one euro, it might make a difference to him. There are thousands of us...

Gonna be hard for him to carry all those €1 coins around considering he prob has no bank a/c due to having no address. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

****in scumbag!

Im gona head into Dublin tonight and see if I can find the "Rabbit Man". If he's not too proud, I'd like to help him in some way, either with money or my time.

What a guy, fair play to him. I wish I had his character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

I'd gladly pledge €20 or 30 towards a fund for that man. The problem with homeless charities is they're a bandaid for a bullet would - and often only help junkies who instead of buying their own food would rather buy heroin.

Here's me on the bus home from my ****ty job today cursing my 8.65 an hour pay. At least I have a home and decent clothes on my back.

Setting up a fund would be a very different and much more complex matter alltogether...

Gonna be hard for him to carry all those €1 coins around considering he prob has no bank a/c due to having no address. :P

Well bertie did it without a bank account!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭MaighEoAbu

Bazzy wrote: »
    Did anyone else think it was funny when he flagged down the boat when they were coming to rescue him?

Eh.....no....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement