Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Homeless mans rabbit thrown in Liffey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Both the saddest and cutest story I've heard recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

How could someone do that.....

Issues there I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Noreen1 wrote: »
    For those who think all homeless people are homeless through some failing of their own.

I had reason to spend some time in Dublin with a terminally ill patient, quite a few years ago.

Early every morning, on my way into the hospital, (St. Laurences), I met this old lady, sleeping on the porch.

She never asked for anything, but I noticed some of the nurses giving her food, cups of tea etc.

One of the nurses told me her story.

She was apparently a decent, hardworking woman, who married late in life, and had one child, a daughter.

They owned their own home, and, by all accounts, were very good to the child.
    When the womans husband died, like many of her generation, she was worried that she wouldn't qualify for a pension because she owned her own home. So, she signed the house over to her daughter.

A year or two down the road, the daughter moved her boyfriend into the house, joined him in his drug habit, and when her mother tried to talk some sense into her, she threw her out on the street.

True story.

So don't assume that all homeless people are there through their own faults or failings - they may well be there because of the failings of others.....

A mate of mine died homeless on the streets of Dublin.

Through no fault of his own either.. Joe (I'm not posting his surname) was a married man with two daughters.

We traveled to Lebanon together and through experiences there Joe came back suffering severely with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Treatment of P.T.S.D. was largely in its infancy at the time, Joe hit the gargle hard - his marriage broke up, he broke up further until ending up homeless.

'There but for the grace of God go I'.

The photo is me (with the shocking red hair) and Joe in Lebanon back in 1988.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Without trying to sound like a cünt I find it odd that this guy gets these labels of courage attached to him for saving a rabbit. I'm an animal lover myself and I applaud the guy for saving his pet but where is his courage to save himself?

This guy is at the bottom, his life is obviously difficult but perhaps he has never faced up to the issues that have kept him down. I think the real courage is to look inwardly at yourself and identify that fault in your psyche and set about repairing it.

It is easy to put the blame on all the external triggers that have put you in your predicament but the real courage comes from accepting that the one commonality is YOU. You control your own fate and your own destiny, you and you alone.

Like I said I am sure this lad has had a tough life, but he's not the only one. If he could apply that courage and sense of right to rectifying his own problems then maybe he could give himself and his pets a better life.

Obviously you've never dealt with a homeless person or have any knowledge of their life and what it entails. To make it back into "normality" (job, home, usual life) they must first be able to get a fixed address such as a continuous hostel bed (extremely hard) or be taken in by a homeless charity and provided accomadation (extremely rare). As soon as this occurs they must find a job (next to impossible considering their background and the current economy) all while going from a situation where they're considered "scum" by society to being a normal fully functioning person.

To say it's incredibly hard it's an understatement.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

disgrace, heard about this guy, glad he got it ok!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Tehachapi wrote: »
    Meat eating isn't necessary any more so it's a selfish luxury. If someone like me can be vegan for many years and in great health it just proves this.

Christ..we should have a national "lets chuck a vegetarian in the liffey day":rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Degsy wrote: »
    Christ..we should have a national "lets chuck a vegetarian in the liffey day":rolleyes:

:p

Vegetable soup. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

A lot of people who were in intitutions mentioned in the ryan report and abusive homes have some form of trauma relating to their experience and many of these became homeless. Imagine telling them people who survived places like that to have courage and turn their life around. Some of these people need help.

:p

Vegetable soup. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

If they werent from Dublin it would be "Thick Country Vegetable"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

I have met this guy several times. At first I was concerned that the rabbit was being kept on the streets, but the full health, curiousity and colour of the rabbits' coat and eyes assured me that 'Bernie' as he had named his bunny was one healthy rabbit.

Indeed, there was a rabbit awareness week launched in Britain a few weeks ago to highlight the plight of bunnies given to young kids who then neglected them. Rabbits are highly sociable animals and suffer from depression when left in small pet shop sized cages, and lack love and company.

However, lettuce is not a good idea as it gives colic to rabbits.
    Having said that, I have not experienced the complexities of abuse, sexual, physical and emotional that too many of the long termers on the street experience. That fella whose dog adored the rabbit, was a very sensitive soul and shaking with anxiety. His animals were and are his life.

It is not my place nor is it my right to ask this man's story. All I know, is that he is someone who is still suffering and has suffered. His pain, if you bother to take the time to talk to him stays with you. This is too much for some people.

But, he is not a cynical opportunist trying to get a few extra buck outta people for havign a cute bunny with him. That much is clear. He loves his animals more than life itself.

• Advertisement

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

We don't have vegetarians down the country, because we fed them to the cattle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Through no fault of his own either.. Joe (I'm not posting his surname) was a married man with two daughters.

We traveled to Lebanon together and through experiences there Joe came back suffering severely with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Treatment of P.T.S.D. was largely in its infancy at the time, Joe hit the gargle hard - his marriage broke up, he broke up further until ending up homeless.

Yeah it's kinda mad how stuff affects folk, I used to work with a guy who served 22 years (I think) in the Army, told me that while stationed in Lebanon he saw 1 fella just get his gun and blow his own brains out :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

There are aspects of this incident I find disturbing.

1. Why does a homeless man need a rabbit?
    2. How come this rabbit is still working after being thrown in the Liffy. My wife dropped her rabbit in the bath for only a few seconds the other day and its f**cked.

Ohh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

It follows the report of a couple of kids setting fire to a pony in England a few years ago. Some utterly weird people out there.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/RSPCA-Anger-After-Pony-Set-On-Fire-With-Petrol-In-Nottinghamshire/Article/200908215361044

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

I'm sorry to here about your friend Aubrey Rancid Cuttlefish. It's hard to believe that someone who served his country like that could be allowed to fall through the cracks of the system, and die homeless on the streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    All I can say is I wish the very worst for any individual who would do something like that.

I couldn't agree more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    I'm sorry to here about your friend Makikomi. It's hard to believe that someone who served his country like that could be allowed to fall through the cracks of the system, and die homeless on the streets.

I don't mean to take away from sentiments towards Makikomi's mate. But Shelter, Britain's homeless/housing charity have listed since the 90's as veterans being the most likely to end up homeless due to difficulties readjusting to life or excacerbatted by Post traumatic syndrome.

It does not take a genius to guess that those who have ended up on the streets have experienced trauma that you and I cannot even imagine.

What makes my blood boil is the arrogance of those who think from their comfy situations that these people just need to think 'positive' and 'grasp the opportunities' available to them. These tossers really have no idea of the reality of the world that exists and circumstances that bind people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

Darlughda wrote: »
    What makes my blood boil is the arrogance of those who think from their comfy situations that these people just need to think 'positive' and 'grasp the opportunities' available to them. These tossers really have no idea of the reality of the world that exists and circumstances that bind people.

Darlughda, At the risk of irking your ire, there is a fella who writes in The Irish Times, who is unemployed, who just needs to "think positive" and "grasp the opportunities". Some people dig their own grave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Nulty wrote: »
    It follows the report of a couple of kids setting fire to a pony in England a few years ago. Some utterly weird people out there.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/RSPCA-Anger-After-Pony-Set-On-Fire-With-Petrol-In-Nottinghamshire/Article/200908215361044

It's not the first case of animal cruelty and I'm sure it won't be the last... sure just look at the bastárds that blew the beak off a swan with fireworks... or the ones who used a puppy as a football...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

January wrote: »
    It's not the first case of animal cruelty and I'm sure it won't be the last... sure just look at the bastárds that blew the beak off a swan with fireworks... or the ones who used a puppy as a football...

You really would wonder what drives somebody to commit acts of cruelty such as those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭investment

I heard the story during the week about the guy who saved the rabbit
    I dont usally give to beggers, but I think we should all make an exception this once as he was very brave. If anyone is passing O connols bridge and you see this guy with the dog and rabbit throw him 20c, I did today and said hello to him and it felt good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

cruiser178 wrote: »
    It just beggers belief

com on someone had to say it

Too late, they already did.

investment wrote: »
    throw him 20c, I did today

20c?

And your username is "investment"..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Seen this chap earlier.

Him and his dog & rabbit seemed in good form so good times all round.

20c?

And your username is "investment"..

Low investment with no obvious return.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 theblueeyz

Ahhhh I was there that day, I had no idea what the big hubbub was! Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Darlughda wrote: »
    I don't mean to take away from sentiments towards Makikomi's mate. But Shelter, Britain's homeless/housing charity have listed since the 90's as veterans being the most likely to end up homeless due to difficulties readjusting to life or excacerbatted by Post traumatic syndrome.

It does not take a genius to guess that those who have ended up on the streets have experienced trauma that you and I cannot even imagine.

Which tossers do you mean and why are they tossers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

That poor man, I was in Dublin on Saturday and saw him :)
    Despite his situation he clearly loves his dog and rabbit.

I hope some day the ass*ole who threw his rabbit into the river gets some payback! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Which tossers do you mean and why are they tossers?

Bunny tossers? Because they toss bunnies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

This guy should now consider trading in his rabbit in for a turtle so at least he won't have to worry about his pet drowning if it gets fcuked back into the Liffey again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭RainbowRose81

Never did i hear such dehumanising things done to others as I did here. The lowest of the low things happen in Dublin than anywhere else in the country. one for every day of the week.

I don't know whats wrong with people who do such evil things but i am not surprised because a lot of people here are hard hearted tough nuts in general but this is beyond hard to hurt a defenseless animal owned by one of society's most vulnerable members a homeless person. Hearing things like this would decrease your faith in humanity.

Posted this in wrong thread earlier. Bit of good news.

Originally Posted by Jake1
    My mate works on O Ocnnell bridge, was there today and this guy came up to us, said he was from an animal charity and he was looking for the homeless fella. They want to make a big deal of him, get press involved and give him a Compassion towards animals award.
    The homeless guy wasnt there,, but yer man said he come back after 6 to look again for him.

Made my day, glad the homeless guy will get a bit of Civic Appreciation

Jake1 wrote: »
    Posted this in wrong thread earlier. Bit of good news.

Originally Posted by Jake1
    My mate works on O Ocnnell bridge, was there today and this guy came up to us, said he was from an animal charity and he was looking for the homeless fella. They want to make a big deal of him, get press involved and give him a Compassion towards animals award.
    The homeless guy wasnt there,, but yer man said he come back after 6 to look again for him.

Made my day, glad the homeless guy will get a bit of Civic Appreciation

I think a roof over his head would be better, but I hear what you are saying.

• Advertisement

I think a roof over his head would be better, but I hear what you are saying.
    Edited: I think a hutch roof over his head would be better, but I hear what you are saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Seen the guy last night on Liffey Street,surrounded by idiots with the article from Sunday rag in their hands, one of the idiots wanted him to sign it.
    I sincerely hope someone does help the poor fella out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

It looks like John (the homeless guy) might be in for some luck.

The owner of an animal shelter down the country is offering him a job! He was touched when he heared of John's bravery and love for his animals.

He's currently trying to reach John through charities.

The Herald did a story on the job offer and also told us more about the man himself.

He's in his late thirties now and has been on the streets since he was FOURTEEN! Seems like the guy came from a pretty ****ed up life and hasn't started shooting heroine like many do. Instead he seems like a pretty sound bloke by all accounts who loves his animals with all his heart.

Link: http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/rabbit-river-rescue-hero-is-offered-animal-care-job-2814016.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

@ 5:39 yore man spits in the Liffey. FFS. Won't be drinkin' out of that anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Augmerson wrote: »
    @ 5:39 yore man spits in the Liffey. FFS. Won't be drinkin' out of that anytime soon.

I think spit would be the least of your worries

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Dean0088 wrote: »

The young lad who did it is facing a charge of being abusive to Gardai as well as animal cruelty.

They should of used the opportunity to beat some manners into him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭investment

For those of you who think I'm a tight ****er for only offering 20c should know if everyone gave him lots of money he might be robbed.Duh

How can a homeless person be able to have a pet anyways sure how would they be able to feed them and look after them sure a homeless person doesn't have money for food and shelther for themselves let alone animals. What is wrong with this country? homeless people are not cared and protected and animals not being looked after are not being protected

How can a homeless person be able to have a pet anyways sure how would they be able to feed them and look after them sure a homeless person doesn't have money for food and shelther for themselves let alone animals. What is wrong with this country? homeless people are not cared and protected and animals not being looked after are not being protected
    Since when do you have to start paying for dandelion leaves. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Sebzy

Very sad to watch the whole event unfold but happy things seem to be working out for the man now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Legend.... to him it was his friend not a rabbit... fail play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Tilt Gone

Since when do you have to start paying for dandelion leaves. :rolleyes:

Budget 2012 so I hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

xoxyx wrote: »
    Eh - I don't think you mean to be a troll, but you have surely missed the point.

Nobody's lauding this guy for being homeless (nor are they condemning him). The point at issue is that some prick decided it would be funny to take a living pet from somebody and throw it in the Liffey, and the person whose pet it was cared enough to go in after it. It highlights the fact that there are absolutely wicked people out there who act callously (without, I hope, realising the damage they are causing - cause I'm assuming whoever did this was too stupid to think their behavior through - but maybe I'm being too kind to them). It also shows the aftermath to some gobshite's actions.

And, having watched the video, I don't think the guy was particularly fighting with the people who saved them. Have you not watched the rest of the video? He was standing on a little bit of land, waiting to be rescued, after some very unexpected and uncalled for events. There were way too many people around making noise and taking pictures, and he could be excused for not being used to that kind of situation. He was picked up, and he wanted to go back to his dog, who he had to leave behind to save his rabbit. He didn't go OTT, and, anybody with compassion would have a bit of sympathy for why he acted the way he did.

You are right I was not trolling- Look whoever threw the guys rabbit in the river was a total cnut for sure, what a bollix- but his behaviour when saved was out of order i think, the rescue guys were only taking him a few hundred yards down the river to another point he would have been back in no time. I have a dog ( a jack russel also, haha ) but i dont cause a fight if i'm kept from him at work or whatever for an extra five minutes. Granted , I know the dude was in a stressful situation

Comments about having a whiparound for the guy ,'give him an apartment' etc I still think are disingenuous to say the least - If he was merely a bloke who hopped in the Liffey a lot of people would have said feck him- eejit wasting the fire brigades time etc, but when a pet is involved peoples perceptions can change drastically. That was my point. Anyway it ended well for all so happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Sefirah

I'd save my rabbit from the Liffey, but I'd be afraid the batteries would be fooked anyways :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

You are right I was not trolling- Look whoever threw the guys rabbit in the river was a total cnut for sure, what a bollix- but his behaviour when saved was out of order i think, the rescue guys were only taking him a few hundred yards down the river to another point he would have been back in no time. I have a dog ( a jack russel also, haha ) but i dont cause a fight if i'm kept from him at work or whatever for an extra five minutes. Granted , I know the dude was in a stressful situation

Comments about having a whiparound for the guy ,'give him an apartment' etc I still think are disingenuous to say the least - If he was merely a bloke who hopped in the Liffey a lot of people would have said feck him- eejit wasting the fire brigades time etc, but when a pet is involved peoples perceptions can change drastically. That was my point. Anyway it ended well for all so happy days.

You havent been homeless since 14 and had a rabbit and dog as your only company.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement