Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Homeless mans rabbit thrown in Liffey

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Was reading yesterday that he's got a job interview next week for a full time position working in an animal shelter in Tipp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Was reading yesterday that he's got a job interview next week for a full time position working in an animal shelter in Tipp
    It's a long way to Tipperary. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

I actually cried a bit when I read that link to the Herald. Lilly and Barney, how absolutely adorable. Two beefy scumbags set their staffies on my whippet and I about a year ago and I defended her to the last, with a scar to prove it. Good luck to him and his (hopefully) new job in Tipp, maybe if there was a fund set up to help him with a deposit on a place down there it might make his transition easier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

To play devils advocate,

Could have been staged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Tehachapi wrote: »
    Scum! Moral outrage! etc.

*Goes off to enjoy chicken/bacon dinner*

Smug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Rants in my pants

Sefirah wrote: »
    I'd save my rabbit from the Liffey, but I'd be afraid the batteries would be fooked anyways :(

Having thrown many a sex toy into the liffey I can safely say most do not float...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Stories like this just makes me weep for humanity.

I'd love to see the culprit waterboarded to make them feel how the rabbit felt. Then have their mother waterboarded and make them watch so they know how the poor man felt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Downlinz wrote: »
    Stories like this just makes me weep for humanity.

Spare a tear for Rabbitity too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

Homeless man is win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

How can a homeless person be able to have a pet anyways sure how would they be able to feed them and look after them sure a homeless person doesn't have money for food and shelther for themselves let alone animals. What is wrong with this country? homeless people are not cared and protected and animals not being looked after are not being protected

See the first minute of...

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Laura_lolly87

I was in Dublin today and saw this guy. I gave him a bit of money and asked if the rabbit ( Barney) was ok. He said he is but very nervous lately and got really scared when they were crossing the bridge last night. His dog (Lily) is a lovely quiet little thing as well just lay there and let me stroke her.

He said his getting an award at 11 o clock on Tuesday. A lot of people came over and said fair play to him while I was there. He seems very confused by all the attention his getting but a lovely guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Giant rabbit throws homeless man into the Liffey?

Now this I gotta see!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Yup,went up to him today.Couldn't stay long to talk as I had a train to catch but gave him some money and asked after the rabbit and dog. Seems like a nice guy, the pets were nice too

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Jim Stark

Just an update on this guy; he was actually approached by a non-profit organisation the other day that works around the city.
    They offered to take him into a shelter, to be cared for, with meals, and all necessary healthcare taken care of, and the man actually broke into tears, telling them how grateful he was, and how they were saving his life, and the non-profit worker said, 'Sorry sir... we were speaking to the rabbit'.

Jim Stark wrote: »
    Just an update on this guy; he was actually approached by a non-profit organisation the other day that works around the city.
    They offered to take him into a shelter, to be cared for, with meals, and all necessary healthcare taken care of, and the man actually broke into tears, telling them how grateful he was, and how they were saving his life, and the non-profit worker said, 'Sorry sir... we were speaking to the rabbit'.

:rolleyes:

Any truth that the chap has gotten a job on a farm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

RoverJames wrote: »

I heard he got a job with a animal welfare crowd ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I heard he got a job with a animal welfare crowd ?

did he? i really wish him all best. i doubt even if 5% of people i know would do such a thing...

a person who mindlessly jump from the bridge to save a rabbit cant be bad man. he is just low on luck i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Jesus. Just read this now. I'm actually pretty upset by this whole thing. The prick who threw the rabbit in, and the devotion shown by the homeless guy.

I'll be the first to admit I don't give much time to homeless people, but this has made me think twice. This chap has shown more balls here than I've maybe ever shown. Respect is due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Beggar's belief. (cmon people, six pages I read through expecting to see that).

It's a really sad story on many levels. Sadly, I'm not convinced that he'll be working this job he has been offered in 6 months/6 years but fingers crossed.
    Fair play to the chap, whatever cards he has been dealt he is an outstanding role model to anyone on how to look after your pet.

Let's not go overboard, while I have a massive amount of sympathy considering that he is homeless and that these animals are his only companions, these animals obviously have to live rough too, 24 hours a day and through sub zero winters and all.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Fair play to him for what he did.

What wall is he going to hang the award on though?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 whereismysheep

Yeah maybe. I'd like to commend all the people on this thread who have helped this man get back on his feet. Kudos to you all. Your posts will remain a great source of comfort to him through the winter months.

Whos to say no one form here is going to help him? To be honest my heart has been warmed by the possitive reaction thsi has recieved. I see far too many people in this country just disregard others, and have seen people do this and worse to animals and 'pets'.
    I ahve seen thsi man around a good few times over the last 6weeks or so, and have been trying to catch him to talk to him, was becasue of his pets and how good they looked considering the homless factor, but now i want to talk to him even more as its quite clear he loves these two pets he has. And yes, i am goign to help him, I amy not be able to give him a house, but if i can make sure that one day a week he has food, then fine, thast what i'll do.
    I have nearly ended on the streets a handful of times, not from a substance abuse problem, but just purely not being able to afford to live. And if i can help even in a small way i will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

He was offered a job working with animals and a place to stay by a farmer in Tipp, he was grateful for the offer but turned it down because he said he has a partner and a family in Dublin and doesn't want to leave them. Read it in the Limerick Post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    He was offered a job working with animals and a place to stay by a farmer in Tipp, he was grateful for the offer but turned it down because he said he has a partner and a family in Dublin and doesn't want to leave them. Read it in the Limerick Post.
    Homelessness is usually a symptom of another problem, so that's not all that surprising. I hope he gets himself sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Catriona D

This man's namce is John Byrne - I really admire him for his commitment to his animals. Despite being homeless he looks after them very well. He was on Henry St today and I gave him some food for the dogs (as then he will be able to eat his own) and a few quid and I encourage everyone who sees him to do the same. There is a long wet winter approaching and it is awful being homeless in this type of weather, please think of this everytime you moan about getting wet when you are on your way to work. John did not take the job as it was in Tipperary and he has a girlfriend here in Dublin who he cares very much about.

Catriona D wrote: »
    John did not take the job as it was in Tipperary and he has a girlfriend here in Dublin who he cares very much about.

So he chose to remain homeless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

So he chose to remain homeless?

Maybe his girlfriend has a brilliant job

Boombastic wrote: »
    Maybe his girlfriend has a brilliant job

He should propose to her, maybe he could move in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

He should propose to her, maybe he could move in.

Mightn't be room for all the children and pets:)

He says that although he is pleased with the offer, Tipperary would be “a bit far” as he has a girlfriend and three children living in Ballyfermot

and the old lone parent allowance would be under review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Strange to turn down a roof over your head and a job:confused:

Strange to turn down a roof over your head and a job:confused:

Unless he's getting homeless allowance, is staying in a shelter and it pays for some addictions he may have. A job may only pay a little more and take time away from the addiction.

People have to be willing to change themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Don't bump old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement