Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU fried or nay?

Options
  • 04-07-2011 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭

Ok, so my motherboard fried itself quite hard. Smoke and some charred electronics around one of the processors, definitely written off.

The 8 pin connector on the PSU was fried as well, beyond use. Melted plastic and charred pins. However, the rest of the connectors are fine and it has a second 8 pin connector. When i tried it on a different motherboard (20 + 4 pin connectors) the PSU and mobo seemed to work fine (well, this motherboard was dead previously but still alive enough to light up and power on its proc fan. it did the same with the questionable PSU attached).

My question is this: If PSU responds to motherboard, powers on and outputs power fine is it safe to assume it's ok? Gonna get it tested in a couple of days to make sure, but just wondering what i can expect to be told.

Also: How would i go about removing a dead PSU connector safely :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

My god id put that PSU in a wooden box and hide it with the arc of the covenant....

but in serious mode now, in my experience id disregard that PSU, it could be the cause of the burnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

Aye, i'd be inclined to say the same but for the fact it is a very nice PSU. 1kw with many connectors :o

I'm also rather short on cash...

What make/model is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

Turbo-Cool 1KW SR by Pc Power and Cooling inc.

That badboy has a 7 year warranty im lead to believe.

http://www.pcpower.com/power-supply/turbo-cool-1kw-sr.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

jump the start pins, then multimeter test the rails ftw.

Advertisement