Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modems for Windows Server 2003 Fax

Options
  • 04-07-2011 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

Can anybody recommend a couple of external modems, preferably usb?

I have two lines. I read in a couple of places that some people had driver configuration issues when using two modems of the same make and model. Has anybody experienced this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Tomtata

Why don't you go with a Email to Fax Service from Blueface.ie

€10 per month

I have it for 6 numbers 1000+ faxes in the last couple of months - Very reliable and cheaper than eircom line rental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

I had a look at blueface a couple of years ago when they didn't do number porting.

Had another quick look just now. It seems only pdf and text files can be faxed. We would fax many filetypes. I don't like the idea of having to convert first.

Yes that's true - pdf & txt is a limitation.

This one works well: http://www.multitech.com/en_US/PRODUCTS/Families/MultiMobileUSB/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Pdfcreator, print first in to PDF and then fax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

The MultiMobile looks like a nice little device. The integrated usb might not work for me as I have to use the front ports of a rackmount machine so the cabinet door might put pressure on it. Was looking at these:

USB2.0RightAngleAdapterCables,AtoB_CS.jpg

PdfCreator looks promising.

• Advertisement

For that USB modem you would need something like this

31uBHKUmh9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-Degree-Adapter-Male-Female/dp/B000QY0NVG/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1309853121&sr=8-8

PDFcreator is good but I prefare CutePDF writer, also office 2007 onwards had the save to pdf option by default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I gave up in using USB modems due to the fact that they create virtual COMs ports and some applications not being able to work with them.

I end up installing PCI modems,using COMs as per Device Manager and all worked ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Mr Chuckles

shayser wrote: »
    Can anybody recommend a couple of external modems, preferably usb?

I have two lines. I read in a couple of places that some people had driver configuration issues when using two modems of the same make and model. Has anybody experienced this?

Have used an external serial MultiTech MultiModemZDX Data/Fax, with sbs2003, rock solid. Had issues with usb modems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭francois

I agree regarding USB modems I use an ancient external US Robotics, works perfectly for faxing

Advertisement