Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good beer in Limerick

• 04-07-2011 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

From reading these boards, it seems Limerick is lagging behind other cities when it comes to craft beer. As far as I know there is O'Connell's doing Galway Hooker and Glasshouse has a decent list, not too sure I like it as a place for a drink though. On the off-license side, there's Macs and O'Briens. Anyone know if I'm missing out on anything or is this pretty much it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You're not really missing much. Limerick is very much behind the rest. I'm constantly trying to convince publicans to take new products from me but it's like banging your head on a brick wall.

"If I cant sell it for the same as a pint of bud then I don't want it" is the usual reply. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭bennyob

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheWarrior

The Locke Bar has a good range of Craft Beer, in bottles only mind. Dungarvin beers, O Haras, Adnams innovation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭SnoopyGunner

The Curragower has a fairly good selection, mostly foreign though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

O'Connells just had a beer festival last weekend with the likes of Galway Hooker, Franciscan Well, Carlow Brewing, Dungarvan, Porterhouse and Metalman amongst the attendees. Hooker & Belfast Blonde are permanent fixtures.

I believe O'Connells Annacotty now has a selection of bottled Irish craft beers.

The Locke's Irish bottled beer selection could probably only be bettered if they added Galway Hooker.

We've come a long way since the beginning of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Van Occupanther

Thanks for the replies.

Will have to check out The Locke, years since I went in. Wish more pubs would take a chance on trying out new beers, I often decide not to go out as I'd rather enjoy some good beer at home than drink rubbish in a pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Thanks for the replies.

Will have to check out The Locke, years since I went in. Wish more pubs would take a chance on trying out new beers, I often decide not to go out as I'd rather enjoy some good beer at home than drink rubbish in a pub.

The funny thing is that it's not taking a chance, there is no risk as such.
    When I worked for a speciality beer company we always too back beers that didn't sell whether in date or not so there was absolutely no risk. I imagine most companies would offer the same service, or at least should do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The funny thing is that it's not taking a chance, there is no risk as such.
    When I worked for a speciality beer company we always too back beers that didn't sell whether in date or not so there was absolutely no risk. I imagine most companies would offer the same service, or at least should do.

+ 1 . I'm selling beers to the trade myself and I call Limerick "Operation Limerick" because there are so little customers out there, in my opinion, willing to try something different.

The Salthouse in Galway, I have said it before and will say it again, is the best example for ANYBODY looking to emulate a great business. Limerick needs a "Salthouse". The Locke is trying to offer far too much in one location and sometimes things get lost in translation when it comes to the offering mainly due to how crowded it gets. You cannot get ample opportunity to see passed the line of Heineken, Bud, Guinness etc taps on the bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

I noticed last night that O'Connells have added O'Hara's Irish Stout on draught.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

The off licence in University Court in Casteltroy has a decent enough selection down the back corner of the fridge :rolleyes:but they do stock Brewdog and even have a bottle of Tactical Nuclear Penguin (for 91eur though...)

• Advertisement
Advertisement