Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pump shower keeps cutting out

• 04-07-2011 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a pump shower in my main bathroom and ensuite - the shower cuts out a lot and when the immersion is on it cuts out all the time and if you move the temperature control higher it will come back on but its so hot it would burn you. Have been told I may need to replace the pumps this is a relatively new house 2 years old and these two showers wouldn't be used as regularly as the electric one but have been in use a good bit in the last 3 months.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong, no point in contacting the builder about it I've already reported him to Homebond about cracks in the house.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

2 year warranty is up. call the showerman:D

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

I have done that but I was just wondering while I wait for him to come out which could be a day or two if there was anything else I could try.

It has been like that since I moved in and he has been out before said he couldn't see what was wrong with it. I rent out the rooms that use those bathrooms only recently so the problem has only been noticed in last few months. I am going to see if maybe the shower heads need cleaning but not holding out that that is the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If the shower cuts out when the immersion is on i imagine its an electrical fault and in that case its an electrician you will be needing. However you can open the shower youself and just check there is no water getting in but i doubt it.

I wouldn't have a clue how to open the shower!!! The pump is in the hotpress. I never thought of an Electrician but probably right if it is the immersion that is causing the problem maybe I'll ask him to come first before the plumber no point in paying for a new pump if that isn't the problem.

Thanks.

shoes34 wrote: »
    I wouldn't have a clue how to open the shower!!! The pump is in the hotpress. I never thought of an Electrician but probably right if it is the immersion that is causing the problem maybe I'll ask him to come first before the plumber no point in paying for a new pump if that isn't the problem.

Thanks.

I thought you ment a pumped electric shower but it seems you mean a shower valve and seperate pump. Perhaps the seals have gone on the pump and are allowing water in to the electrics.

Do you know or can you read the make of the pump in the hot press

• Advertisement

Had someone come and turn down the temperature in the immersion but that didn't make any difference. Turned on immersion left it on for 30 minute then turned on shower fine at first that as we moved the temperature control down to below 35 it cut out again. they are going to come back this afternoon and take another look at it.

Hope its fixable and doesn't cost a fortune, guess it serves me right for not getting it fixed correctly when I first moved in.

so got a plumber who was suppose to be at the house at 11am today - her never showed I waited till 11.30 and had to return to work, tried to call and asked him to call me when he would be coming out, never heard back. Was then chatting to a friend of mine and asked him was he a reliable plumber and it turned out he was suppose to be at his house when he said he would be at mine and he wasn't there either!!

Sorry for the rant just annoyed at the plumber!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I had a similar problem. It turned out to be the heat setting on the immersion. How ever the thermostatic shower valve works. It cut the shower pump off. the water was nearly boiling .

Oh just seen this has already been suggested

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭readmylips

does the same thing happen to both showers?? are they mira? if you run shower, then take the shower head from the holder and tilt it up a bit, does the water stop altogether??
    if so then check the hose from shower unit to shower head...they tend to buckle/melt on the inside, all the while looking perfect from the outside....had a similar problem..bought new stat, got plumber , but no fix, then i changed the hoses , and hey presto..perfek !! plumber was well impressed !!!!!!

Failing that, turn off water and check the filters and the hose inlet/outlet on the pump...might be gunge from tank stuck there...make sure ALL water is off tho !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

+1 Check the filters.

Clogged filters = lower water flow = higher temperature = safety cut-off.

What is the model of shower. or just post pix for more detailed help from folks.

• Advertisement

Plumber arrived 7 hours late but got the problem fixed took a few hours. Thought it might be the filters in the showers so checked those but it wasn't then checked the pipes in the hot press and took apart the cold pipe and there was no cold water coming in, turned out a pipe in the attic had a kink in it and the plumber was saying that no cold water was able to get in so fixed the pipe and a problem was still occuring, so we then put in a new pump as the pump had burnt out on the cold section(?) anyway all is good again and have much better pressure than before.

I have had the plumber who installed the showers out on two occassions before to look at it and he couldn't find any problems but then he didn't go into the attic !!

At least its all sorted.
    Thanks.

shoes34 wrote: »
    I have had the plumber who installed the showers out on two occassions before to look at it and he couldn't find any problems but then he didn't go into the attic !!

At least its all sorted.
    Thanks.

Well done. Dont use this plumber again.

Well done. Dont use this plumber again.

What's worse is I called him last Tuesday and he rang me on Wednesday and said it was a new shower I would to put in and it would cost €250.00 adn he would call out on Wednesday to take another look at it - I'm still waiting for him to call me as to what time he will be out at! At least I decided on Thursday to call another plumber and I haven't had a problem since.

Advertisement