Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Akelarra, San Sebastian

Options
  • 04-07-2011 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭

Im not just gloating (well maybe a little :o)

Im off to San Sebastian in the Basque country this Friday. Just to treat ourselves we have booked a table in this 3 Mitchelen restaurant.

http://gastronomyblog.com/2010/06/04/akelarre-san-sebastian/

Has anyone ever been there?

Ill let you all know how we got on when I come back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

very very jealous. San sebastian is top of my to go to list.
    Do you mind me asking, how are you travelling there??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

foodaholic wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking, how are you travelling there??

Return flights to Bilboa with Airlingus, about €350 for the two of us.
    Car rental from Hertz €200 for the two weeks (we plan on seeing Biarritz, the Rioja region for some wine tasting and the Pyrneese.
    Rented a beach side apartment for €900 for the two weeks.

Cant bloody wait, there are 4 Mitchelin in San Sebastian and Im told that even the cheapest greasy spoon would beat any Irish restaurant hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Just showed the OH your post so maybe he will take the hint ;)

foodaholic wrote: »
    Just showed the OH your post so maybe he will take the hint ;)

Ryan air fly to Biarritz too, its closer to San Sebastian than Bilboa and cheaper. The dates just didnt suit us.
    The only thing is that the weather is a little hit and miss, its not guaranteed sunshine and high tempatures like the south of Spain. Bound to be better than the west of Ireland at the moment, I have the fire lit most nights!

This is the website that I organised the accommodation through;
    http://www.rentalia.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Hi, in Biarittz at the moment on hols and we've visited both San Seb and Bilbao. I was in San Seb before but could not get over how lovely Bilbao was. We had a really wonderful day there yesterday. All around The Guggenheim was very nice and we'd a lovely walk along the river to the old town(Casco Viejo) then back on the tram. The old town was very quiet from 2pm until after 6pm with not much open.

I loved the Pinxtos in both.

Enjoy!

• Advertisement

nc6000 wrote: »
    Hi, in Biarittz at the moment on hols and we've visited both San Seb and Bilbao. I was in San Seb before but could not get over how lovely Bilbao was. We had a really wonderful day there yesterday. All around The Guggenheim was very nice and we'd a lovely walk along the river to the old town(Casco Viejo) then back on the tram. The old town was very quiet from 2pm until after 6pm with not much open.

I loved the Pinxtos in both.

Enjoy!

Thanks.

Yeah, we are planning a trip to Bliboa and especially the Guggenheim. I cant wait to do a tour of the bars having a Pinxtos and a glass of Rioja in each :D

The Pamplona bull run is on next Tuesday and im threatening to take part, herself might put the foot down though. The Jazz festival is on in San Sebastian the following week too. I just hope the weather is nice.

I think the Pamplona bull runs start on Thursday until the 14th and are on each morning at 08.00.

I think the Pamplona bull runs start on Thursday until the 14th and are on each morning at 08.00.

I have a bit of a dodgy back. Imagine the face on my doctor if i landed in with a sore back and told him i hurt it during the Pamplona bull run.

I dont think herself will allow me anyway due to the treatment of the bulls once they get to the ring.

Oh yeah, whats the weather been like in Biarritz nc6000?

I'm thinking of heading down myself to give it a go on Thursday, not sure yet if I will.

Weather here has been very good so far. Weekend before last was very hot (40+) but it has been in the mid to late twenties since then with the odd cloudy.

Most agreeable so far.

• Advertisement

I'm thinking of heading down myself to give it a go on Thursday, not sure yet if I will.

I can see the headlines now, "Two Paddies gored by Spanish bulls"

Have been watching some Spanish TV channel broadcasting live from Pamplona, looks like great fun being had.

We're going there tomorrow. Will need an early start to make the 8am run.

I think this San Sebastian thread has been well hijacked.

Advertisement