Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salad For Lunch

Options
  • 04-07-2011 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    So usually every Monday i make a large salad in a big lunch box to do me for Lunch for the next 4 days. Salad contains lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, onion, cucumber and carrot. Then at lunch I mix this with tuna and mayo.
    I find this very tasty and helps me get my veg and protein intake up.

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a different salad that would also last four days in a lunch box in the fridge?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

You could add a boiled egg or maybe ham or chicken instead of the tuna and mayo.

I love beetroot as well, although it can get a bit messy. And sweetcorn is yum as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Oh, can I leech off this thread hehe!

I'm on a diet at the moment and so eating lots and lots of salads. Very healthy and very yum. I would, however, be very like the OP with the basics of lettuce, cucumber etc. Bought some olives and chillis to spice things up a bit but any other nice combinations would be welcome :)

As the bases I usually use tuna, eggs, chickpeas, quorn or chicken.

Merci!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Add pine nuts, dried cranberries or parmesan cheese shavings. Using an oil based dressing instead of mayonaise is a healthier option.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Nuts.

As problemchimp (/aside - the bigger boards.ie gets the more fascinating the usernames become) stated, pine nuts are great.

Toasted nuts are even better. You can toast nuts in a dry pan over a medium heat for a few minutes, tossing them to ensure no overdone bits, and removing them from the pan onto a cold plate to cool once toasted. Then store in an airtight jar when completely cool and sprinkle over your salads.

Dressing - balsamic vinegar, olive oil, crushed garlic, a tablespoon of mustard, and salt and pepper - mix well. Extremely good over a salad wtih parmesan and toasted nuts. Shave the parmesan off a whole block by using a sharp vegetable peeler, and keep the shavings fine.

Try mixed leaves, and then chop a combination of carrots, tomatoes, celery and onion into like-sized dice. Add toasted pine nuts to that mixture. Toss with leaves and dress wtih garlicy balsamic dressing and top with parmesan shavings.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I use the sharwoods jars for bringing dressing for the salad into work. Twist a small amount of cling film over the lid & jar to further seal the lid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

I had a nice one today. Cold pasta, cold chicken, roasted peppers, black olives, sundried tomatoes and rocket all tossed in a pesto dressing. I think this was basically pesto diluted with some sort of oil.

I don't think this would last 4 days though, that's the only thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

I use much of the above but others not mentioned are scallions, some fat-free cottage cheese, egg mayonnaise (well sort of mentioned) and, maybe, a little tinned salmon. A friend swears by a slice of red cheddar with marmalade spread on it. Haven't tasted it, but no thanks - yeuk!:eek:

Honey and mustard dressing is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Mongarra wrote: »
    I use much of the above but others not mentioned are scallions, some fat-free cottage cheese, egg mayonnaise (well sort of mentioned) and, maybe, a little tinned salmon. A friend swears by a slice of red cheddar with marmalade spread on it. Haven't tasted it, but no thanks - yeuk!:eek:

Honey and mustard dressing is nice.

Cheese + jam/marmalade, while not healthy, is actually quite yum! Jamie Oliver says to put coffee granules, cheese and honey together and see how well the combination works but haven't been that brave yet!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i love kidney beans and butterbeans in my salads and a few olives

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

pajunior wrote: »
    Hi all,
    So usually every Monday i make a large salad in a big lunch box to do me for Lunch for the next 4 days. Salad contains lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, onion, cucumber and carrot. Then at lunch I mix this with tuna and mayo.
    I find this very tasty and helps me get my veg and protein intake up.

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a different salad that would also last four days in a lunch box in the fridge?

I usually do pretty much the same, but I prefer Greek salad : lettuce, tomatoes, onions (or spring onions, depends), avocado, cucumber, olives and feta cheese.

Just add balsamic and olive oil at lunch time, and have some pita to go with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭LadyHeart

I love salad but just cant seem to make any nice ones at home, wherever I go to restaurants they are lovely but sometimes mine just taste like dirt, actual dirt, and its not cos I haven't washed the leaves. I am a good cook so I don't understand as theres no or not much cooking involved in salads.

So does anybody have any nice, foolproof recipes for me? I want to have more salads for lunch when I'm at home.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Merged with other current salad thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭LadyHeart

Nuts.
    Dressing - balsamic vinegar, olive oil, crushed garlic, a tablespoon of mustard, and salt and pepper - mix well. Extremely good over a salad wtih parmesan and toasted nuts. Shave the parmesan off a whole block by using a sharp vegetable peeler, and keep the shavings fine.

That sounds delish, I am defo going to be trying that out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Artichoke hearts. You can get them in olive oil, so keep the jar in work, and put one into the salad when you get in. They are so yummy, though a tad pricey for me.

Advertisement