Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer shop / Techie expert

Options
  • 04-07-2011 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Friend of mine is back down in Kilkenny for the summer and has contacted me with a External HD that seems to have died. I cant do much for him over the FB chat :/

Any one know of any really good reliable Computer shops or techies that might be able to revive it? Possibly might need data recovery.....

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

[snip]...

Don't know if the guy upstairs in Quinn computers is still there, hes very good but will charge hefty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

The lads in the computer shop upstairs in Market Cross are excellent and won't rob you. I can't think of the bloody name of the shop though - old age is a dreadful thing. I'll post it when I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

I think the place in the Market Cross could be called Compugeek or something cheesy like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

JoseJones wrote: »
    I think the place in the Market Cross could be called Compugeek or something cheesy like that!

That's it! It just re-entered my memory banks but you'd got there before me. Cheesy or not, the lads are the biz and I'm not even related. If they can fix my iBeast cheaply, they can fix anything. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

Guy upstairs in quinn computers would be my recommendation, he knows his stuff and doesn't bull**** you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

What kind of issues is he having?
    Is it powered by the computer or does it have stand-alone power?

It could be the cable, the power supply or the casing that could be at fault so it might be worth taking the hard drive out and plugging it into a desktop/hard drive dock and checking it that way, especially if he has any friends down this way that knows there way around computers.

If it is the hard drive itself that is dead be warned that data retrieval could be fairly expensive. I'm not sure if any shops in KK have the facilities for data recovery on a dead drive as it normally requires opening the disc in a 'white room' and is far from 100% successful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement