Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Certain Games Crash My System - Any Advice?

Options
  • 04-07-2011 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

Most games seem to run on my system but so far two I've installed crash regularly. ARMA II and now the new Medal of Honor. With ARMA II I can at least get some game time in, it might be 5 minutes or an hour but with MOH it crashes almost as soon as it starts up.

Other games I have installed such as Just Cause 2, Bioshock, NFS: Shift, Company of Heroes, Flightsim X, Crysis, Oblivion, Frontline: Fuels of War, Half Life 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, Tropico 3, Unreal Tournament 3 all run fine. I could play them for hours and hours without any issues.

All hardware and software is up to date so I really can't figure out what the problem might be.

I'm running the following:

Intel Q9300
    Corsair 4GB of XMS DDR-II 800Mhz Ram
    Asus P5E Deluxe Mobo
    Sapphire HD4870 512MB
    Windows 7 64bit
    Logitech G15 (the orange version)

I've attached two screenshots of common artifacts I'm getting with the first being the most common by a considerable margin.

Can anyone shed any light on what may be causing this? It's really frustrating to have some games which don't run and it makes me wonder which future purchases may/may not run on the computer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

F&*k it!!!! Downloaded and installed Battlefield 2: Bad Company last night and the same thing. I'm going to start a process of elimination tonight. First thing will be to check the memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

run prime 95 torture test for a few hours.

lmimmfn wrote: »
    run prime 95 torture test for a few hours.

Thanks, I'll give that a go later tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

I had something similar ,

Every time I tried to play Dirt 2 , I got freezes / lockups .
    It could be anywhere from just launching the game to half way around the track .

Other games played fine , Crysis , metro 2033 demo etc , but Dirt 2 just wouldn't work at all .

It turned out to be faulty ram chips on my graphics card ( a Powercolor PCS HD 5750 )

It was replaced under warranty , and I've had no problems since .

ninja 12 wrote: »
    I had something similar ,

Every time I tried to play Dirt 2 , I got freezes / lockups .
    It could be anywhere from just launching the game to half way around the track .

Other games played fine , Crysis , metro 2033 demo etc , but Dirt 2 just wouldn't work at all .

It turned out to be faulty ram chips on my graphics card ( a Powercolor PCS HD 5750 )

It was replaced under warranty , and I've had no problems since .

Sadly my HD4870 is well out of warranty. How can you tell if the RAM chips on the card are faulty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Sadly my HD4870 is well out of warranty. How can you tell if the RAM chips on the card are faulty?

In my case , I was getting random freezes and lockups , especially when trying to play Dirt 2 . ( I had no such problems when using a different card )

The ram chips on the card would get too hot to touch when the game loaded .
    Underclocking the card helped , but in the end I rma'd the card ,after giving a full description of the problem to both Powercolor and Komplett .

Here's a link to a thread I started about it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056022996

I have had no issues with any games since changing the card .

Hope this helps .

Edit -
    The screenshots you included look like the display on a friends laptop that had a fried gpu .

Advertisement