Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm company suggestions

Options
  • 04-07-2011 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

I had a house alarm installed a good few years ago (easily well over 10years+) by Chubb. I've stayed with Chubb since then for maintenance & monitoring & I've been reasonably happy with the service/support provided. Here's the problem though; I'm currently paying the following each year:

Maintenance (2 services per year): €290.58 plus VAT (i.e. €351.60)
    Monitoring: €253.27 plus VAT…(i.e. €306.45)
    Total per year: €658.05

On top of this the cost for replacement parts are pricey.

From reading some boards posts I'm pretty sure I can do much better than this price-wise, despite successfully asking for a reduction from Chubb (offered a reduction to €490 total or so).

I intend phoning around for quotes but to save me time & to steer me in the right direction can anyone recommend good/reputable/reliable/preferably well established & good value alarm maintenance & monitoring providers?

I assume I can get one company to service it & another to monitor it?

Btw, the system is probably well out-dated by now. I don't have the exact specs but the keypad says Aritech CP-42 on the keypad. The window/door sensors are relatively modern/new (replaced after adding new double glazing to the house). I assume the system itself though can be replaced relatively easily? I'd like remote management/setting of the alarm if possible.

Any help/suggestions/recommendations appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

That is expensive. Shop around if that is the price even with the reduction. This is an old system that could be upgraded easily enough.
    Whichever alarm companys you get they will set up the monitoring for you on the system.
    Do you want to manage the system remotely over the internet or text ? The Signet 220 might suit you if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Shop around and get a few quotes.
    Where are you based

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭olewy

Jnealon wrote: »
    Shop around and get a few quotes.
    Where are you based
    Thanks, I intend to, I was just hoping to save some time by finding out first which companies might be better than others as regards service & costs. My location; north wicklow.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

This thread will give you some guidance re the PSA & the standards.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056242435
    + 1 to the advice on getting a number of quotes.(At least 3) Ensure all call out & do a proper survey & ensure you are quoting like with like.
    I am amazed at the amount of companies still trying to sell HKC 6/10s & the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

For what you are paying chubb per year you could probably get your alarm system upgraded AND the first years monitoring included

• Advertisement
Advertisement