Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running to stay sane

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭ddel

13.3k at MP effort today.

Was very nervous about this due to the poor runs this week and the windy wet weather wasn't going to make things any easier (quicker).
    Anyway - av pace of 4.09 and avhr of 157. Very surprised with this. HR is a slight bit lower than expected and the pace is a good 4/5 secs quicker than I would have predicted - especially considering the gale force winds. The run was easy all the way. Final miles were uphill and into the wind and I still kept the pace at 4.13/4.16 area without it feeling hard.

11.2k easy. Av pace 4.48, avhr 138. Awful weather, gale force winds, stinging rain and a belly full of spuds, pork, pepper cream sauce, ice cream and coffee. Glad it's done.

Going to skip the week or so of taper and go straight to my race report.

Without giving away the ending it's taken me the guts of a week to look at the garmin stats which says a lot!

Pre-race all went well. Restful weekend, body felt good. No niggles, no sniffles. Arrived up on time - toilet break before hand was perfect - all good.

This was very much a case of two separate race stories that converged at about 30k to become a single last chapter!

The first k was a little messy and slow, did a 4.30 and was happy with the ease in and felt good. The next few k were between 4.10 and 4.18 and looking at the stats now it was pretty even as the 18's were uphills and the 10's downhills - all good. Was holding back and felt good most of the way to half. Steep hill at 15k ish came in at 4.23, which was fine. Got to half way in about 1.30.45. Off pace but thought I should have something in the bank - even though it didn't feel great. Up to 30k I drifted out to 4.18/19's and based on the fact there were a few downhills in this phase I was a little worried. Then at 30k the legs lost all power and the wheels came off. Slow painful march with a few 5 min+ k's along the way.

At about 37/38k it was looking like I was over 3.10 and was getting worried the 3.15 pacers might be hot on my heels. Around 40k or so it looked like I could scrape under 3.10 if I could get a few sub 4.40 ks'. I kicked out a 4.41 and knew I'd need to dig deep and dragged out a 4.27 to get myself a 3.09.45. That final k killed me though as my left calf cramped up in the last few hundred, but I could push on, then as I passed the line both hamstrings went into massive spasm. I writhed in pain for mins as the paramedics tried to settle me. My family kindly showed me the clip (sky plus'd) on RTE with Kiernan and Sonia talking away with roars from me in the background. Then a trolly arrives as I hobble away being held up by a paramedic. I don't know how my pride would have taken being trollied away on live tv! Very sobering sight to see yourself on tv so visible unwell.

Overall for a sub 3 attempt this was a massive blow up, but I loved it. The build up, the race, the crowds, the atmosphere, the day itself, the double brandy afterwards, the fun with friends.... A few hours later I was full sure I'd be back to set things straight....

Now, for the facts! The second story mirroring the one above. During my MP runs in training - these were my stats
    15m - 4.12 pace - avhr 160
    13.1m - 4.13 - avhr161
    11m - 4.15 pace - avhr 158

Consistent enough and based on these numbers and feel during the runs I had not wanted to see 170 bpm until half way and my averages during the race should mirror the above.

In reality during the race my avhr to 8k was 160 - way, way to early for such a high figure. By half way my avhr to that point was 166, not the 160/161 I had seen in training. My aim of not seeing 170 until 21/22k did not pan out at all, in reality the garmin shows I hit 171 at 7k! Add in fact my average pace to these points was slower than sub 3, not faster!!! Whereas my training runs were faster than sub 3!

While I saw the HR data (without the average figures) during the race, I put it down to adrenaline and pushed on with a pace close to sub 3 - but not to fast either (or so I thought)!

I decided to try and ignore HR during the race and this was to my detriment. I don't know what happened - nerves, shock of the vastness of the start/day - I haven't a clue. If I had ran by HR only I think the race would have felt way nicer and sub 3.10 would have been easy and I might have slipped under 3.05 - and feeling strong.

Bottom line there wasn't a sub 3 in me on the day.

As with any defeat in sport, it forces you to ask questions you might ignore in a victory!
    > My weight is 12 stone 5 - to heavy. I'm eating to much cr*p and I need to be well under 12 (close to 11.5) for my next 26.2. I got cocky listening to people saying I'd lost weight blah, blah, blah, which I have in the last year, but the last 3/6 months I haven't even with bigish miles. Need to be honest. I need better fuel for my body and need to be lighter!

> I do not race! This was my 3rd race in years and I need to get more races in to get used to pre-race nerves and how to build up to a race.

> I need more miles. The long runs were always tough for me and I need focus on longish runs even in my non marathon phase. I want to be starting at 25/28k for my long runs at the start of marathon training, not 18k.

Funnily enough I wasn't sure what I'd do after the marathon - would I have a focus???

Now, after a kick in the guts I know what I need to do.
    Shorter races - to get used to races and get speed in the legs and enjoy running.
    Build up the miles and keep longish runs every 2 weeks or so.
    Get my food right. Less trash, more variety and basically THINK more about what I eat and when I eat.

The plan seems to be - do a few 10k's, 5k's, 10 milers in the next few months, while maintaining/building miles. Around end Jan/early Feb target a marathon - could well be Kildare and get in way more miles than I did for Dublin.....

Of course - none of this will happen until I can run properly again...

Advertisement