Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passing on the new VAT rate

• 04-07-2011 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Anyone been to any cafes or restaurants that have passed on the Vat decrease?

I suspect that most wont pass it on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Espresso are anyway....saw a sign in there yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

With the weekend that was in it, it was very difficult for places to get everything in order in time. Most places will probably be okay tomorrow. Deals (such as Wine and Dine, and early birds) will remain the same price as they're part of a promotion. Pain in the hole getting menus reprinted too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Bodega are passing on the reduction. I'm sure most places will do it as it's a good way for them to advertise and attract customers by showing off their reduced prices.

It's not just restaurants either. Hairdressers, cinema, hotels rooms, loads more, full list here: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/rates/rate-changes-jobs-initiative.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Mc Donalds are as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

It's not just restaurants either. Hairdressers, cinema, hotels rooms, loads more, full list here: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/rates/rate-changes-jobs-initiative.html

Has Storm?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Has it fcuk.

(i love that expression)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

dayshah wrote: »
    Has Storm?

Nope and I am going to say it to them when I go to cinema next week.

I bet the excuse will be oh we reduced the prices by 20% already. They have not prices have always been €9.80 after 5pm and €7.80 before. All they are doing is advertising the €7.80 price as a new reduction - by saying 20% discount on tickets before 5pm. To me I would read it as 20% off the €7.80 and a load of other people I know also thought that at first.

I know they have a new prices for movies before 1pm but very rarely do they have movies on at that time. Mostly kids films.

I like Storm cinema and generally have no problem with them but I will now if they do not pass on the VAT.

libra02 wrote: »

I bet the excuse will be oh we reduced the prices by 20% already. They have not prices have always been €9.80 after 5pm and €7.80 before. All they are doing is advertising the €7.80 price as a new reduction - by saying 20% discount on tickets before 5pm. To me I would read it as 20% off the €7.80 and a load of other people I know also thought that at first.

I know they have a new prices for movies before 1pm but very rarely do they have movies on at that time. Mostly kids films.

I like Storm cinema and generally have no problem with them but I will now if they do not pass on the VAT.

That's bad form. Anyway unless you have kids, or are a paedo, who really goes to the cinema before 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Didn't think the vat reduction applied to cinemas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

centra on the quay are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

mikeym wrote: »
    Didn't think the vat reduction applied to cinemas?
    Check the link above.
    Supplies of goods and services at the new 9% rate:
    • the supply of food and drink (excluding alcohol and soft drinks) in the course of catering or by means of a vending machine (See footnote 1)
    • hot take-away food and hot drinks
    • hotel lettings, including guesthouses, caravan parks, camping sites etc
    • admissions to cinemas, theatres, certain musical performances, museums, art gallery exhibitions
    • amusement services of the kind normally supplied in fairgrounds or amusement park services
    • the provision of facilities for taking part in sporting activities by a person other than a non-profit making organisation
    • printed matter e.g. newspapers, brochures, leaflets, programmes, maps, catalogues, printed music (excluding books)
    • hairdressing services (Note: beauty treatments:- for example, facials, massages, nail treatments, tanning or sunbed services etc., remain liable at the 13.5% rate).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Can't see the vending machine guy that supplies my job reducing his prices. He's already selling us crisps for 70c with "part of a muti-pack, not for sale separately" on the back.

the supply of food and drink (excluding alcohol and soft drinks)

Erm, so I wonder which drinks are covered? Juice and water, or are they soft drinks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

KFC did not seem to have

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Nor have Domino's or Pizza Hut.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭DjBryn

Its only a 4 1/2% reduction on services Spend a ton save 4.50 brill

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

DjBryn wrote: »
    Its only a 4 1/2% reduction on services Spend a ton save 4.50 brill

So your quite happy for the retailers to pocket an extra 4 1/2% profit from you so. All these extra 4 1/2% wouldnt be long about adding up.

The facts of the matter here are, if VAT was increased by a percent or two it would be passed on immediately, therefore a reduction should work on the same basis.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Assume there is nothing that can be done about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

libra02 wrote: »

That's bad form. Anyway unless you have kids, or are a paedo, who really goes to the cinema before 1?
    *Raises Hand*
    I usually like to get in an early showing of the new release before work. I'm fairly sure I'm not a paedo....

If they don't reduce the ticket prices, I can actually understand it. They don't set the prices, the film companies/head office do. The cost of the popcorn deal in there atm though, are a ****ing disgrace even before the new rate. I made them aware of my opinion when I went in and the two lads behind the counter agreed, but there was notihng they could do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

If it's a locally run shop, bring it up with them.

But for the love of god, DO NOT go in shouting the head off to some poor boy/girl behind the counter because the head office of their company hasn't reduced the price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Sully wrote: »

Of course there is. Boycott the thieving swines.

@ Mitch
    okeydokey :D
    But Storm has no excuse (though I accept its set by head office). The distributors may set a price to sell, but they don't set the VAT rate.
    Sully wrote: »

Yep, name and shame. I hope this thread gets picked up by our buddies in the local papers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

@ Mitch
    okeydokey :D
    But Storm has no excuse (though I accept its set by head office).

In that case its worth e-mailing them perhaps
    http://www.stormcinemas.ie/contact

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Subway haven't passed on the rate yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Might be awkward for brands which have a specific and convenient price, and one which they may have invested funds marketing.

The Eurosaver menu in McDonald's springs to mind. Will the €2 burger now be €1.91 or whatever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

hardybuck wrote: »
    Might be awkward for brands which have a specific and convenient price, and one which they may have invested funds marketing.

The Eurosaver menu in McDonald's springs to mind. Will the €2 burger now be €1.91 or whatever?

Local McD's has passed on the savings. I imagine eurosaver menus are deals and they don't necessarily have to pass that on.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭DjBryn

Are the parking charges included, councils pass them off as services...

Ive asked 3 times so far and have been given BS responses about using the extra take for more hires etc.

Its nonsense, the vat reduction has nothing to do with the costs of goods and shouldn't be treated as such. The reduction should automatically pass on.

No one is doing it, the Govt will just put it back up - wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I used to drink a large Cino in the coffee shop next to Superquinn at least six times a week up to a month ago, until he went from €2.75 to €3.30 overnight!ffs and looked in this morning and he did not reduce it so he has gotten a +20% increase on his coffee in a recession! needless to say I let my feelings be known and have not been there since.Thats €9.99 per litre ..... for coffee not petrol

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Anyone been to any cafes or restaurants that have passed on the Vat decrease?

I suspect that most wont pass it on.

Was in a few in the west of the county and there is no change. Not really worth arguing about for a few cents. What was taken off, something like 4 cent in the euro. you would want to be spending a lot of money before you benefit anyway. The governement are making a big thing about nothing for most people that use restaurants.

Advertisement