Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passing on the new VAT rate

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

hardybuck wrote: »
    Might be awkward for brands which have a specific and convenient price, and one which they may have invested funds marketing.

The Eurosaver menu in McDonald's springs to mind. Will the €2 burger now be €1.91 or whatever?

Yep, my heart really bleeds for them.

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Was in a few in the west of the county and there is no change. Not really worth arguing about for a few cents. What was taken off, something like 4 cent in the euro. you would want to be spending a lot of money before you benefit anyway. The governement are making a big thing about nothing for most people that use restaurants.

Well they seem to think its worth keeping in their pockets. The scumbags.

If it shows one thing, if they cut JLC pay that won't be passed on either. Its all just to line their pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

No change in the Ramada Viking hotel for the price of lunch anyway! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Furshure

notice that Irish Indpendent came out a a few weeks ago urging all busineeses to pass on the VAT reduction and throwing their weight behind the whole idea.
    But here's the rub, as far as I can figure it out ....
    The Indo itself cut it's price by 5c which is fine but if you work the sums that is less than the rate reduction. Their daily from Monday to Friday dropped from 1.90 to 1.85 and Saturday edition from 2.20 to 2.15. By any rough calculation they have retained 2c to 3c and based on circulation of about 135,000 per day that will net them an exatra profit of about 20,000 euro per week or over 1m per year. In fact it might be more as they own more than just the Indo and don't know what the reduction in any other of their publications.
    Amazed at their double standards by supporting the idea in editorial but netting 1m profit out of it at the same time !

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 35 langer123

Hey All

Had the urge for some hangover food, so I logged onto Domino's website to feed the craving!!

Straight away I noticed that their prices had not been reduced with the VAT reduction.
    This REALLY infuriated me. As a previous post mentioned, they wouldn't be slow putting prices up if there was a 4.5% VAT increase.

Needless to say, I did not order from them and I will never for as long as I live order from them. I did take a look on the site for somewhere to email them but could not find anything.

I'd ask people to continue to post about Domino's and companies like them that are ripping us off. And boycott such companies of course.

Google will do the rest and get the stories to the top of search results :)

Domino's Rip-off Greed VAT not reduced Boycott!

Vent over!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Anyone who doesn't pass on the Vat change should be named and shamed and the government should fine them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

200motels wrote: »
    Anyone who doesn't pass on the Vat change should be named and shamed and the government should fine them.

They should be named and shamed alright but the government wont be fining them i'm afraid. No obligation to pass it on, they can just say the price of stuff has risen recently and they didnt pass it on to customer.
    We should all of course only use those that passed it on. People might say it's nothing but almost 1 euro is every 20 is better in our pocket than theirs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Gingerman has the same prices as before the VAT rate anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭cowhands

Really hoping the Woodlands hotel are passing it on...getting married there soon and it would save us a couple of hundred :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

... and remember folks we're paying for this 4% reduction by our private pensions being robbed.

What's the bet in a years time with hardly any business reducing their VAT rate the Govt restores the old rate and the companies that didn't pass on the rate ups their prices by 4%:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭eolasguy

Have Storm dropped theirs yet? Haven't got a chance to drop in and check. Want to go during the week but will be pissed if its not dropped :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

bkehoe wrote: »
    No change in the Ramada Viking hotel for the price of lunch anyway! :(

The Holy Cross also hasn't dropped the price of lunches.

Both of these should have had about a 50 cent price reduction and are instead pocketing the difference.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Emilianos hasn't either. Asked and was told because of the Tall Ships being so busy, he didn't get a chance but is printing out new menus next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Sully wrote: »
    Emilianos hasn't either. Asked and was told because of the Tall Ships being so busy, he didn't get a chance but is printing out new menus next week.
    Sounds like more of an excuse, doesn't explain why he couldn't just take the VAT off the price at the end of the meal or something.

Everyone will be using that one.
    "Why aren't ye passing on savings on the new VAT rate?"
    "We're waiting for our new signs and advertisements to be done up with the prices before we change anything."
    *two months later*
    "Yeah still waiting on them new menus/signs to come through."

Sounds like more of an excuse, doesn't explain why he couldn't just take the VAT off the price at the end of the meal or something.

"We're waiting for our new signs and advertisements to be done up with the prices before we change anything."
    *two months later*

It wasn't exactly a shock decision announce midnight before the change. They had plenty of time.

Places are just seeing how many people notice, and if other places are making the change.

And remember, the same places complaining about the VAT are the ones complaining about wages. Fat chance they'd lower the price if they cut wages. With VAT is totally obvious how much the change is. With wages they can hide the change.

*two months later*

Shame there is no body who can enforce it tbh. But yeah, they were given a lot of notice about the VAT change so they should have been prepared.

Sully wrote: »
    Shame there is no body who can enforce it tbh. But yeah, they were given a lot of notice about the VAT change so they should have been prepared.

It comes down to us Sully. The local media won't name and shame potential advertisers, so its left to the heroes of boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

dayshah wrote: »
    It comes down to us Sully. The local media won't name and shame potential advertisers, so its left to the heroes of boards.ie

Until one of said companies complains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Until one of said companies complains.

How could they complain if the truth is posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Benimar

I'm pretty sure that if the VAT rate was going UP 4% they would have had their menus printed on time :rolleyes:

Surely we could have a list of those who have reduced their prices and those who haven't? After all we are merely listing a fact - prices have come down or they haven't.

If companies who haven't reduced prices want to try justify their decision thats up to them, but they surely can't deny whats staring everyone in the face..that they didn't lower their prices.

• Advertisement

I cant see a problem pointing out a fact. Generally its when you post up false accusations about businesses, that we are forced to remove the accusation.

But when a business hasn't dropped the VAT, or at least hasn't dropped the price as per the idea of dropping the VAT rate, then I see no reason why we cant point that out.

Advertisement