Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holland set to boot out Polish immigrants who can't find work after 3 months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

LighterGuy wrote: »
    well, a few things,

1, had you pegged 20 mins ago ;) You're not debating. To ask question after question until i stumble so you appear "correct" ... sadly for you I got the answers :)

2, you're twisting ;) and not very good at it.

3, to "debate" what you just said ;)
    its funny, before recession we had this thing where if anyone was on the SW for a long period of time they'd get thrown off. And they were nationals.
    So in essence you are pretty much saying its ok for someone to stay for as long as they want on the SW?

I'm not I fully agree with you regards SW tourists, to be honest it should be a requirement that a person working in any country, should have enough of the language to be able to get by in that country. SW should not even come into it.

Re : Point 3, fair enough, I'm actually not saying that but what I am saying and I thought it was pretty clear, you have the same rules everywhere, so as you say, a non national should not be on welfare for more than a year( your length of time) but that rule would have to apply through out the EU including the UK :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

If you look at ire welfare site with its publications,its increases in rates for dolers when country was booming and when plenty of jobs where available ..

2003 rate- http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW19_03/Pages/sw19_sect6_03.aspx

2007 rate- http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW19_07/Pages/sw19_sect6.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

OPENROAD wrote: »
    ....but what I am saying and I thought it was pretty clear, you have the same rules everywhere, so as you say, a non national should not be on welfare for more than a year( your length of time) but that rule would have to apply through out the EU including the UK :)

Thats the thing the Dutch are trying to be crafty on this one ;) ... by saying "non dutch speaking" they're not saying "polish" ... but lets be honest if you, me or average english, spanish or french guy went over to Holland we couldnt speak a lick of Dutch. But you'd probably find out english speaking people would not be viewed the same. Probably some spiel about how "english jobs" are plentiful in Holland. So english "speakers" are welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

google is your friend:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ash-cloud-crisis-exposes-welfare-tourists-2245558.html

in that aritcle is says it dropped by 3,500. But I also read another article saying how the figure is much higher than first reported. Also, there was another article which, well was common sense, saying how people were signing on for other people.

From the article you linked.
    "With this figure of 3,515 there is a certain number of people every signing day that do not show up because they forget to attend," said a department spokesperson.
    "They may be unwell, they may have taken up employment or a holiday, so that 3,515 would include those people as well.
    "A certain number of those 3,515 would also have come back on later in the week and their payment continued as normal."
    But the spokeswoman said the week of the ash-cloud crisis did show an increased number of absentees.
    "It's increased on other weeks but it's not huge," she said.

So its not even 3,500. We can discuss the "other article" when it turns up.
    Thats the thing the Dutch are trying to be crafty on this one wink.gif ... by saying "non dutch speaking" they're not saying "polish"

Yay for the crafty xenophobic right wing party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

How about we just kick out all the racists from all over Europe and give them their own country ? THat'll work won't it ?

Some of you seem to have real problems understanding the basic functioning of the EU

Oh look, it only took 4 posts for someone to play the race card. Not a record, but close. :rolleyes:

I would be in favour of this personally. I dont think its too much to ask or 'racist' that you should expect an immigrant to actually be of benefit the society they are trying to integrate to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Nothing wrong with what they are proposing. It will be good for the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I don't understand all the fuss over this... This is exactly what EU free movement rules state anyway. Anything up to three months is condition free. Anything over three months are you're subject to:

1. either be engaged in economic activity (on an employed or self-employed basis);

2. or have sufficient resources and sickness insurance to ensure that they do not become a burden on the social services of the host Member State during their stay.
    The Member States may not specify a minimum amount which they deem sufficient, but they must take account of personal circumstances;
    or be following vocational training as a student and have sufficient resources

3. and sickness insurance to ensure that they do not become a burden on the social services of the host Member State during their stay;

4. or be a family member of a Union citizen who falls into one of the above categories.

So, in effect, the Dutch are just following EU rules. So again, what's the fuss about?

EU Free movement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

It's all a lie.....the dutch want them out to keep all the hookers and drugs for themselves the selfish bastards:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

How is this legal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    How is this legal?
    it's their country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭katiebelle

I have no problem with polish people in general. I do think though that if more resources were devoted to deporting illegal immigrants and catching welfare cheats that it would solve a lot of the problems faced by EU countries. Welfare cheats can originate from any country including those native to the country.

I can understand why they feel such drastic measures are needed though.
    Ireland would never get away with doing something like this we owe too much money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

You could be damn sure if the national language became a requirement they would pick it up a lot quicker than any of us did and put us to shame with it.
    Ah yeah, them polish are a great bunch of lads. Not like us dumb dumb paddys...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

; edit wrong thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

How about we just kick out all the racists from all over Europe and give them their own country ? THat'll work won't it ?

Some of you seem to have real problems understanding the basic functioning of the EU

i can't see how its racist,
    there are many many hard working foreigner's in ireland , some of whom have since lost their jobs , and thats fari enough .

but then there are those both EU and non-eu whom have come here to sponge off the state ................we simply cannot afford these
    it should be a case of "get what you give" , offer nothing to the state .....get nothing in return.....other than your flight outta here ,
    makes absolute economic sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

You could be damn sure if the national language became a requirement they would pick it up a lot quicker than any of us did and put us to shame with it.

Ireland's national languages are English and Irish. So get off your tayto-crisps toting, guinness-swilling high-horse. Our "ability" to speak English is one of the only things the country has got going for it at the moment.

I wonder how many Polish homes were built with euros earned in the Irish economy. Meanwhile they crowded out the Irish rental market and house prices soared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Ireland's national languages are English and Irish. So get off your tayto-crisps toting, guinness-swilling high-horse. Our "ability" to speak English is one of the only things the country has got going for it at the moment.

I wonder how many Polish homes were built with euros earned in the Irish economy. Meanwhile they crowded out the Irish rental market and house prices soared.

There is a massive difference between earning and sponging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Whatever about booting them out when they cant get work.its the bastards like that cow who threw boiling oil over that guard,they should be deported straight away.any foregin national that commits a crime should be deported.end of story.

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Whatever about booting them out when they cant get work.its the bastards like that cow who threw boiling oil over that guard,they should be deported straight away.any foregin national that commits a crime should be deported.end of story.

I have to agree with this one. Poor guy was only doing his duty. Its also a pity we cant deport our own Irish criminals :D That would be a really good result !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

crazygeryy wrote: »

No point on doing that, they will only end up sneaking back into the into the country disguised as someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭flutered

roadbridge the construction company is now well established in poland, it can hire any one that they like with the proviso that 60% of the workforce are polish nationals, that would seem that the eu laws can be got around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

How about we just kick out all the racists from all over Europe and give them their own country ?

Silly guy. There's already an Ireland :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

No point on doing that, they will only end up sneaking back into the into the country disguised as someone else.

Considering there is fcuk all immigration control in this country, you'd be right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Give our social welfare system a reality check and this won't be an issue. Speak to a Polish person. Ask them why they stayed here after losing their jobs. The answer I got from many Polish people was based on the generosity of the system. Polish people don't create the problem that people have. Our system created the problem. If it wasn't so generous, many wouldn't stay on here. They would prefer to be in their home country. Our social welfare bill is huge because successive Governments ramped it up to a level that a recession hit country simply cannot afford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Give our social welfare system a reality check and this won't be an issue. Speak to a Polish person. Ask them why they stayed here after losing their jobs. The answer I got from many Polish people was based on the generosity of the system. Polish people don't create the problem that people have. Our system created the problem. If it wasn't so generous, many wouldn't stay on here. They would prefer to be in their home country. Our social welfare bill is huge because successive Governments ramped it up to a level that a recession hit country simply cannot afford.

yep , and want did dickhead kenny say about the pending dec budget "no cuts to social welfare" , so he like those before him has buried his head in the sand

Not sure they are here just because its a good social welfare system. I know many polish people girls especially who stay here because they have more personal freedom. Poland is still a very conservative country in many ways.
    My friends sister came here recently and did not want to go back home. At home she was the eldest daughter and just expected to stay home and look after her parents. She had a life here. She did go home at the end of her holiday btw . I felt sorry for her.

Nodin wrote: »
    So its not even 3,500. We can discuss the "other article" when it turns up

I imagine you are referring to the average percentage of people forgetting to turn up...Ok, do you have any article to give an average figure of people who "forget" to turn up?

and 2,
    if you are unaware of current social welfare "tricks" you really should open your eyes more. Especially before having an attitude of "i only believe it when I read it" ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Our social welfare bill is huge because successive Governments ramped it up to a level that a recession hit country simply cannot afford.

Plus the fact that 300k people have lost their jobs and landed on the labour in the past few years has helped push the cost skywards.

I imagine you are referring to the average percentage of people forgetting to turn up...Ok, do you have any article to give an average figure of people who "forget" to turn up?

I suppose we might as well cut to the chase.
    Reports that the recent Icelandic ash cloud prevented non-Irish nationals from flying into the country to sign on the dole have been exposed as an urban myth by the Department of Social Protection.

It had been suggested that an increase in the number of 'no shows' at social welfare offices in April and May was evidence of 'welfare tourism' with foreign residents unable to jet in to claim their payments. But figures supplied to the Sunday Tribune show that if anything there were fewer 'no shows' for the week ending 18 April, when airport closures were at their height, than when they were operating normally.

Just over 3,500 people failed to sign on the live register in the period ending 18 April when airports were closed, just 2.3% of the 151,000 who were due to sign on.

The number of no shows in the week ending 21 February, when the ash cloud was not a factor, was 3,311, which represents 2.2% of the 152,000 due to sign on. The percentage of no shows in March was 3.9%, the figure for May was 2.2% and the figure for June was 2.5%. "There was no significant difference ... compared to weeks where the volcanic ash was not a factor," a department spokeswoman explained.

In July 2008 then social welfare minister Mary Hanafin changed the system so that all new claimants have to attend their local post office weekly to get paid. Pre-July 2008 claimants are still paid into their bank accounts and so do not have to turn up.
    http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2010/jul/11/volcanic-welfare-tourism-exposed-as-urban-myth/
    and 2,
    if you are unaware of current social welfare "tricks" you really should open your eyes more. Especially before having an attitude of "i only believe it when I read it" ...

I believe that scamming goes on, because people are involved, and where theres people, theres bound to be a few chancers. What I don't believe is the sweeping generalisations and unsourced crap that passes for facts on the subject.

I believe that scamming goes on, because people are involved, and where theres people, theres bound to be a few chancers. What I don't believe is the sweeping generalisations and unsourced crap that passes for facts on the subject.

I know what you mean, there will always be blowing things out. Especially within the media. But its also the subject matter. You can never really have solid facts who scams. As they keep their heads down while doing it. Rightfully so on their part.

But hey, if someone can get away with it... why not. Its the governments fault. Our SW is too giving. But within saying that we're in recession. Old ways of if you were on it for a while you'd get kicked off are gone. Not much jobs out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

But hey, if someone can get away with it... why not.

That's the attitude that got Ireland to its present state I imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

tenchi-fan wrote: »

So, those god damn Poles dared to earn money and use it well rather then splurge it on holidays, booze and big cars? How dare they!

And, by being here, they caused the property bubble? And there was me thinking that it was people willing to spend half a million on a 2 bed terraced house in Crumlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

msthe80s wrote: »
    I have friends who moved to France and Holland to work many years ago,and all made effort to learn French/ Dutch- no big deal,it was necessary for their employment.

We are too tolerant here perhaps?

During the boom, we had EU/non EU nationals coming here to work,we couldn't get enough of them,and -maybe- we overlooked the fact they didn't speak English because they worked hard?
    Granted,most of them made the effort to learn English.Some however,didn't learn it, lost their jobs during recession,and now sit at home wondering why they can't find work- hello- it helps to speak the lingo,no?
    I have a Polish friend who is frustrated that some of her friends here don't make the effort to learn eng- it becomes a greater issue when their kids go to school and have to learn both eng& irish-nightmare.

-and my friends kids (polish) have the best grades in the class for irish language, how about that?
    Also, all Irish emigrants in Australia and US are lucky they dont have to learn any language over there, because I dont think you are that good at learning languages to be honest. I've met only 3 or 4 people here who could speak some Irish (basic) and maybe two fluent! Expect more from yourselfs first, its though enough to live in a foreign country!

I am just wondering what you would do if you were born in a Country where you cant earn enough money even working 50 hours a week...

Are you aware minium and the most popular wage in Poland is about 400- 500eu a month!??? Petrol is more expensive or the same price, Ikea furniture (just for example) are exactly the same price, food is almost the same!
    Think -what would you do? Would you stay in your own country and live miserable life?
    Before I came here over 6 years ago I was working in a book shop like eason -I used to earn there 700zl per month. 1eu is about 4PLN, so that makes about 175eu a month! I didnt have enough money for food.
    Sorry for coming here and working hard all those years!
    It takes a lot to start new life somewhere else. Its huge stress, its frustration and its loneliness. Specially if you are educated and you have to listen to your boss who is usually not.
    Think twice before you will blame all foreigners for coming here, because you never know where you will have to go to have a better life.
    People who are here only for social benefits are minority and even know I know mane who lost their jobs, but were able to find new one fast.

softmee wrote: »
    -

Are you aware minium and the most popular wage in Poland is about 400- 500eu a month!??? Petrol is more expensive or the same price, Ikea furniture (just for example) are exactly the same price, food is almost the same!
    Think -what would you do? Would you stay in your own country and live miserable life?
    Before I came here over 6 years ago I was working in a book shop like eason -I used to earn there 700zl per month. 1eu is about 4PLN, so that makes about 175eu a month! I didnt have enough money for food.
    Sorry for coming here and working hard all those years!
    It takes a lot to start new life somewhere else. Its huge stress, its frustration and its loneliness. Specially if you are educated and you have to listen to your boss who is usually not.
    Think twice before you will blame all foreigners for coming here, because you never know where you will have to go to have a better life.
    People who are here only for social benefits are minority and even know I know mane who lost their jobs, but were able to find new one fast.

I dont want to argue here but my niece lived in Poland for a while with her polish boyfriend. She never stopped talking about how much lower the cost of living was over there. She went with all her savings as she was viewing this as an extended holiday and took leave from work for that. She was amazed at how far her money went. What happens to your country if all the educated young people leave for greener pastures ??? This is what we in Ireland are trying to prevent our young educated people from doing. We desperately want them to have a future here.
    We all have to listen to bosses educated or not. An education does not mean you are better than your boss I'm afraid and guess what ?? Irish educated people have to listen to bosses too and many are more educated than their bosses.
    I dont like your comment about maybe us having to leave to find a better life elsewhere at all. I could answer it but doubt it would be useful. No one is actually complaining about people who work and put something back into the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

So when are we going to take the millions of Irish back - let's see our population is booming at a ridicules rate, we have truly mucked the whole country up, our attitude still seems to belong to the Ku Klux Klan judging by the majority of posts on this thread, we suffer from complete blindness and downright ignorance as we head back off in our thousands flooding the UK and any other country that will have us again with begging cap in hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

We could also set up an seperate "utopian" state with fully open borders which allows anyone who wishes to enter and stay as long if they like (actually bothering to find work or integrate with the native population being completely optional for any would be immigrant), perhaps even set up regular direct flights to and from Lagos.

It would be interesting to compare how the two economies and societies are coping after a few years...
    what "societies"??? what "economies"??? :rolleyes:

the racist bunch would probably end up as a single, sad and narrow minded pr1ck surrounded by a few of his closest friends and family, constantly fighting with everyone around. any other person would be an "alien" and as such would have to be "kicked out", etc.. hence no business, no trade, and eventually a gradual disappearance.

as for racists in general
    racists are so stupid, that they can't event point at what they are fighting against. all they have are empty slogans, lot of bullsh1t, pompous speeches and miraculous plans to heal every problem - which usually (and accidentally?) is based on getting rid of everything/everyone that's different to them. it might be the skin colour, nationality, religion or whatever else you wanna pick.

does "being an alien" include living/being born in another house? or street? or county? maybe town or country? or even a continent? when i ask "who gave you the fukin right to decide" they start talking well known bollix about their fathers/uncles/grandfathers dying for something, etc.etc... pathetic load of crap. even more pathetic, that they have done fuk all themselves, but shamelessly want to be part of the history and claim rights to the past events they haven't even witnessed.

katiebelle wrote: »
    I dont want to argue here but my niece lived in Poland for a while with her polish boyfriend. She never stopped talking about how much lower the cost of living was over there. She went with all her savings as she was viewing this as an extended holiday and took leave from work for that. She was amazed at how far her money went. What happens to your country if all the educated young people leave for greener pastures ??? This is what we in Ireland are trying to prevent our young educated people from doing. We desperately want them to have a future here.
    We all have to listen to bosses educated or not. An education does not mean you are better than your boss I'm afraid and guess what ?? Irish educated people have to listen to bosses too and many are more educated than their bosses.
    I dont like your comment about maybe us having to leave to find a better life elsewhere at all. I could answer it but doubt it would be useful. No one is actually complaining about people who work and put something back into the country.

I doubt your niece had to pay rent or any bills. I wouldnt go anywhere If I could only have a normal life back in Poland, but unfortunately I couldnt.
    Dont worry nothing will happen in my country as there is many many educated people over there and not everyone will leave.

"No one is actually complaining about people who work and put something back into the country"

-so in your opinion we should only work here and have no rights or support if we loose a job yes?

I also forgot to mention that many Polish people I know (including myself) are active tourists, so we also leave some money in your BB's, hotels and pubs and we often invite our families here and they spend their money too.

-oh and soon my landlord will have like a quarter of his house mortgage paid thanks to the money I pay him every month!

-oh and soon my landlord will have like a quarter of his house mortgage paid thanks to the money I pay him every month!
    wise people know it already - fools won't understand no matter how many years you spend trying to explain.

it's a good day for a bit of cycling. enjoy the evening ;)

I doubt your niece had to pay rent or any bills. I wouldnt go anywhere If I could only have a normal life back in Poland, but unfortunately I couldnt.
    Dont worry nothing will happen in my country as there is many many educated people over there and not everyone will leave.

"No one is actually complaining about people who work and put something back into the country"

-so in your opinion we should only work here and have no rights or support if we loose a job yes?

I also forgot to mention that many Polish people I know (including myself) are active tourists, so we also leave some money in your BB's, hotels and pubs and we often invite our families here and they spend their money too.

My niece rented an apartment and did have to pay her bills same as anyone else.
    If some educated people did not leave then they were able to have a normal life in Poland but somehow you were not ?? Ok You certainly don't seem to have job satisfaction here though. There are lots of Polish people here using their degrees and education here you know. I worked under one. Its not a problem across all the polish community. One of my doctors is Polish.

You are putting words into my mouth. I never said at any stage that polish people should not be entitled to support. I don't believe that at all. Nor do I believe that Holland should deport people after 3 months of unemployment. I have polish friends who have been here 8 years. If they lost their job then they should not be deported . They have their lives here. Many people do however milk the system and that's what I have a problem with. That's people of all nationalities including Irish people . You yourself admitted polish people do this but they are in the minority. I did not suggest this you did. I have many polish friends I have no problem with the Polish community here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Could Ireland do the same here if Immigrants here can't get work and fail to speak Irish. :p
    Nope, all activists here are left-wing so the more non-nationals, minimum-wage earning, union members we have here the better!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

if there was an eu standard welfare that every single eu citizen paid the exact same amount of tax into, then itd be find to have foreigners coming over and claiming. however, the fact is that many people take advantage of the countries who pay the most welfare, fleecing their tax payers of money that should have been kept within the country and is instead being sent abroad.

if you dont pay tax in a country then theres absolutely no reason for you to get welfare from them, its simple

katiebelle wrote: »
    My niece rented an apartment and did have to pay her bills same as anyone else.
    If some educated people did not leave then they were able to have a normal life in Poland but somehow you were not ?? Ok You certainly don't seem to have job satisfaction here though. There are lots of Polish people here using their degrees and education here you know. I worked under one. Its not a problem across all the polish community. One of my doctors is Polish.

You are putting words into my mouth. I never said at any stage that polish people should not be entitled to support. I don't believe that at all. Nor do I believe that Holland should deport people after 3 months of unemployment. I have polish friends who have been here 8 years. If they lost their job then they should not be deported . They have their lives here. Many people do however milk the system and that's what I have a problem with. That's people of all nationalities including Irish people . You yourself admitted polish people do this but they are in the minority. I did not suggest this you did. I have many polish friends I have no problem with the Polish community here.

So what you are trying to proof by saying its so lovely in Poland according to your niece?You said yourself it was kind of holidays for her. Of course costs of living are cheaper, but not that cheap that you can have a normal life for 300eu per month! Maybe I wasnt able to live there because I was only just over 20 years old and I had no father and my mum couldnt help me either? Its easy to go there with few euros in your pocket and say life is cheap but its compelety different story if you have to earn some money there. Your niece would't be so happy if she would have to- belive me.
    Also part of my post about uneducated boss was about my first two years in Ireland.

My friend moved back to Poland after living here with her husband for 3 years. She is a dietitian with a degree from good university. She found job after one year of looking and she earns about 400eu a month -she is responsible for the food in the big hospital!!! If she wouldnt have apartment bought by her parents some time ago, she said she wouldnt make it and she would come back here.
    There are wealthy people in Poland like everywhere, but the average standard of living is much lower. You can buy a car here for your monthly wages. The same car would not only cost more in Poland but also there are very few people who would buy it for only montlhy wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Chinasea wrote: »
    So when are we going to take the millions of Irish back - let's see our population is booming at a ridicules rate, we have truly mucked the whole country up, our attitude still seems to belong to the Ku Klux Klan judging by the majority of posts on this thread, we suffer from complete blindness and downright ignorance as we head back off in our thousands flooding the UK and any other country that will have us again with begging cap in hand.

Ffs this thread is about people emigrating and claiming social welfare and not learning the local language :rolleyes: Polish people are still welcome to work in Holland also Irish people speak English and would not move to the UK for there social welfare. So how does us heading to the UK to work, where we speak the language have anything to do with some Polish people going to Holland not knowing the language or working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Chinasea wrote: »

thats not the point of it at all

i emigrated to canada a couple of years ago. i dont get any welfare if im out of work because i havent been here long enough or paid enough taxes to qualify. im fine with that. it should be the same in every country in the world. you shouldnt get any form of welfare without having first put in the time and money to deserve it, whatever country you're from or whatever country you're living in

Helix wrote: »
    thats not the point of it at all

i emigrated to canada a couple of years ago. i dont get any welfare if im out of work because i havent been here long enough or paid enough taxes to qualify. im fine with that. it should be the same in every country in the world. you shouldnt get any form of welfare without having first put in the time and money to deserve it, whatever country you're from or whatever country you're living in

-and this is the way it is here in Ireland. You have to work 2 years I think to be entitled to any social payments!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Helix wrote: »
    if you dont pay tax in a country then theres absolutely no reason for you to get welfare from them, its simple

You are complaining about a problem that doesnt exist.

EU citizens (other than irish/UK) cant just walk into the country and claim Jobseekers benefits. They have to be in Ireland for >3 years or making the appropriate PRSI contributions.

• Advertisement

generally speaking, someone who is caught and proven social welfare fraud should be banned from the country for life.*

kicking out of eu citizens /regardless of nationality/ unable to find employment within 3 months is ridiculous.

* what needs to be done with thousands of pyjama-wearing and dole-sponging irish scumbags is yet to be discussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

My brother moved to Norway about 9 years ago and it was mandatory that he learn Norwegian, I think his employer subsidised it.

I'm not sure if his employer stipulated that he had to learn the language or if that's one of Norway's imigration laws.

He attended night classes and became fluent after a couple of years, but I think it's a good approach.
    It may work here if there were incentives for employers but the downside to that is you would likely have employers simply hiring mostly non English speakers to maximise any attached benefits.

Speaking about language I can also add, that when I was living in Germany for a year my employer send me to free german classes - twice a week for one and half hour. When I came here I was asking around and there was nothing like this provided by anyone. I think its a pity, it would be great help for many.

Speaking about language I can also add, that when I was living in Germany for a year my employer send me to free german classes - twice a week for one and half hour. When I came here I was asking around and there was nothing like this provided by anyone. I think its a pity, it would be great help for many.

That would require an entire mentality that is absent from - and indeed alien to - most Irish employers.

That would require an entire mentality that is absent from - and indeed alien to - most Irish employers.

It was actually provided by German government I think, but I know employers do it too sometimes in different countries.

• Advertisement
Advertisement