Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy art supplies?

Options
  • 04-07-2011 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

My niece loves Anime and I'd like to buy her some art/drawing supplies. Can anybody suggest somewhere (preferably online) that I could buy something for her?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Probably get a better response in the Arts & Crafts forum - moved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Please give a look at this thread which is stickied a the top of this forum - has a huge list of suppliers both online and shops in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Lynfo

Thanks for the reply, I've had a look through the thread you linked, however I believe Anime can require specific tools/pens to draw and can't find anything there.

Can this be moved back to Anime/Manga?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

A4 Art supply near NCAD in Dublin sell the deleter nibs, brushes and inks used for creating comics. You can get some nice start packs for the nibs that will give you a pen holder and a selection of nibs. The G-pen is a very good all round nib that can take a fair bit of abuse. The maru nibs are good for small detail but honestly depending on her age/drawing level your best to just get the standard pen holder and G-pen nib.

They also sell the deleter microns and brush pens as well as the Pental brush pens {which I adore] and a range of the copic brush pen but I'd avoid them as the tips are rubbish. They sell the deleter ink as well but make sure to check the number on the side of the ink pot as they look similar but have very different properties. Off the top of my head I can't remember which is which - pretty sure 1 is standard water proof, 2 is matt etc but I'm not in my studio so can't check. It can be hit and miss what they have in stock as they order direct from a Japanese wholesaler which is costly so they don't order massive amounts. Don't bother with the comic book ruled pages, they are a waste of money but the deleter sketch books are pretty nice.

If your looking to buy online the two best options are AKAdot or DinkyBox Dinkybox have a couple of good starter packs ranging from £15 to £25....just noticed Dinkybox have the deleter ink chart on their site.

Edit: just re-reading your post OP when you say 'Anime' do you just mean anime style drawings and Japanese comic books or do you mean actual animation as that would be very different to comic books.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

O'Sullivan's and Reads would generally have good prices on marker pens.

Honestly though, you can learn to draw with anything; e.g. mechanical or simple pencils & Sharpies.
    And get her a GENERAL book about drawing bodies & stuff, they're generally more helpful than "anime-specific" books (but not as pretty!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Lynfo wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, I've had a look through the thread you linked, however I believe Anime can require specific tools/pens to draw and can't find anything there.

Can this be moved back to Anime/Manga?

My apologies, i'm not too clued up on drawing anime or manga :/ seems you've got some replies here though, hopefully they'll be of assistance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Lynfo

Thanks so much for the replies, I got her a nice starter set and a G-pen, hope she likes them!
    Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

There's a Promarker set specifically tailored towards anime drawing, it's pretty good too. You can buy them online.

:)

Advertisement