Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Support

Options
  • 05-07-2011 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey all

dont know if im in right section but sure im sure someone will let me know if im not.

Ok wife left 8 months now and we have 2 years boy.
    i am basically wondering when does a parent have to pay child support.
    i understand when one parent is doing the day to day looking after the child they get the child support. But im the da and its like just because she is the woman she should be getting this.
    For me we both look after our son yes she does have him more but im in work during the day her hours are more flexible than mine so it made sense that she should have him more. not me as i would have to get my folks to mind him.
    but every week i have him at least 4 days a week.
    when its not my weekend i see him during the week so dont get full day with him but cause of work i cant help that.

Do i owe her child support? is this not a joint custody here? are we both not equally looking after our son?

I have no problem in paying if i have to but just doesnt seem right just beacuse shes the woman. i would never let my son suffer and hes been looked after greatly by both of us

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

That is very hard to answer. I think as long as your are dividing every cost in two and both contributing but every costs means accommodation as well maybe ....it almost impossible for you to both have him equally because if that was the case you would have him for 4 full day and nights one week and 3 full days and nights the next......no matter what you do the child has to have one home that he considered his home..... home is the place where he will go to school the place where he will join the under 7 football team etc. .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Yes this in more unusual than most cases.

If you have an agreement in place verbally where you are sharing costs equally then you might not have to give her maintenance.

BUT usually there is one parent who generally buys child's clothes shoes etc and is therefore more eligible for maintenance as they look after day to day costs more.

For example when your son starts school he will more than likely have to stay with your wife more and she will then have more expenses.

This can all be solved if you have an agreement with your ex. If you both contribute equally to all costs then this may suit you both. But you will have to discuss it properly.

Advertisement