Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

air pistols

Options
  • 05-07-2011 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hey.Any one know what is the most powerful Single shot spring cocking air pistol that is on sale to day.And what is the best make to buy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

white fox wrote: »
    Hey.Any one know what is the most powerful Single shot spring cocking air pistol that is on sale to day.And what is the best make to buy.

The Target shooting Forum may be a better place to ask.
    Air Pistols are only used by the Target Guys and there are very few shooting air pistol outside of the pony club and TCD/UCD rifle& Pistol Clubs AFAIK

Also accuracy rather than power seems to be more important.

http://airguns-galery.blogspot.com/2011/04/feinwerkbau-p44.html

Might be of interest

• Registered Users Posts: 14 white fox

Thanks for that information Tackleberrywho.Wil go from there.

Thanks for that information Tackleberrywho.Wil go from there.

There could be less than 50 licensed air pistol shooters in the country AFAIK.

Not very popular when you can get a .22lr pistol for the same amount of hassle.

Do you shoot much competitions? Are you a member of a Pistol club?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Tack, there might only be 50 shooting air pistol in ISSF, but there's more shooting air in the pony club than in any other pistol discipline. They just don't get noticed as much is all.

Sparks wrote: »
    Tack, there might only be 50 shooting air pistol in ISSF, but there's more shooting air in the pony club than in any other pistol discipline. They just don't get noticed as much is all.

How many in the pony club who shoot Pistol?
    I know of 1 former Athlete, yet I know a lot in Horse circles

• Advertisement

How many in the pony club who shoot Pistol?
    Hundreds. They had 74 on their international squad alone, and those would have won places through competition.
    I know of 1 former Athlete, yet I know a lot in Horse circles
    Seems you don't know enough Tack. Ask them about their tetrathlon events, and ask the MPAI about theirs; there's more out there than most people seem to realise.

Hundreds. They had 74 on their international squad alone, and those would have won places through competition.

Seems you don't know enough Tack. Ask them about their tetrathlon events, and ask the MPAI about theirs; there's more out there than most people seem to realise.

I am friends with a former competitor tetrathlon competitor who was on the Irish team.......

Plenty I don't know Sparks, all I know is the amount of pistols licensed by DOJ.....
    The amount of restricted, the amount of unrestricted....
    I don't know the amount of pellet guns licensed in the state.
    I still say it's very low....

• Registered Users Posts: 14 white fox

Not a member of any club yet.Just do a bit of target shooting with a Webley lr only.

Not a member of any club yet.Just do a bit of target shooting with a Webley lr only.

You have to be in an Authorised PISTOL club/range to shoot Pistol.
    There are a couple in the country NSE&W but all of them memberships are in the region of €300+

Unfortunately you cannot do that WF. You cannot get a pistol licence for any pistol except for target shooting; and you must be in a club to get a licence for target shooting. And you do require a licence for an air pistol in Ireland, unlike in the UK or almost other country in the world.

• Advertisement

There are a couple in the country NSE&W but all of them memberships are in the region of €300+
    Not all of them. In fact, I only know of one air pistol range in the republic that charges that kind of money for licencing (and they're an air and smallbore range).

Not all of them. In fact, I only know of one air pistol range in the republic that charges that kind of money for licencing (and they're an air and smallbore range).

Well give some details??
    And Not Ranges where you have to be an alumni ;)

We have a list of ranges Tack, it's the first link off the Important threads and Useful information thread...

We have a list of ranges Tack, it's the first link off the Important threads and Useful information thread...

That's not what I asked you
    Where are these clubs that you speak of that are under €300 for a new member that can shoot air pistol??

WTSC, DURC, UCDRC, and every Irish Pony Club tetrathlon club out there.

WTSC, DURC, UCDRC, and every Irish Pony Club tetrathlon club out there.

Sparks, it costs more than €300 to go to Trinners & UCD (several thousand last I checked), not sure about wilkenstown....

And you need a Pony for a pony club.......

So OP
    Unless you are in College in Dublins University's or a past student of same
    Or have a pony, you have to "PONY up" over €300 to join a Target shooting club to fire an air pistol.......

OP
    Get a couple of farmers signatures, buy a .22lr Rifle and Public Liability insurance €60 from IFA Countryside or ~€100 from most NARGC Clubs; and start from there.....

Sparks, it costs more than €300 to go to Trinners & UCD (several thousand last I checked)
    Yup. Of course, you'd be going there for a degree, not to join a club... (the club memberships are €5 per annum and the cost of your ammo as you shoot for DURC and about the same for UCDRC last I looked).

As to WTSC's membership: http://wtsc.ie/frequently-asked-questions/target-shooting/4-target-shooting/3-how-do-i-get-started-in-target-shooting.html
    And you need a Pony for a pony club.......
    Really? I seem to know a lot of people who don't have ponies but are members.
    Get a couple of farmers signatures, buy a .22lr Rifle and Public Liability insurance €60 from IFA Countryside or ~€100 from most NARGC Clubs; and start from there.....
    That's not much use for a pistol though. You can't get into pistol shooting that way.

Can NON trinity or UCD Students join these clubs for €5?

No, just students, alumni or staff. Which is still a few hundred thousand people all over the country.
    And it's not down to the clubs, by the way, they've both asked to get out from under that rule. It's the colleges who set the admission rule.

No, just students, alumni or staff. Which is still a few hundred thousand people all over the country.
    And it's not down to the clubs, by the way, they've both asked to get out from under that rule. It's the colleges who set the admission rule.

So unless you are a student, alumni or staff of them Universities the answer is no.... Which accounts for almost 70% of the Population (OP, Please forgive my ignorance if you attend said Universities)

OP
    Do you, Or Have you; attended either of these Colleges?
    If not, my advice stands fast.

The hassle of getting into Pistol shooting for a complete newbie is not worth it, unless you are going to stick at it.(ie, not a flight of fancy)
    A .22lr Rifle is by far the most popular calibre firearm in the country (excluding shotguns of course)

So OP, Think long and hard about getting into Pistol shooting, be that Air Pistol, or .22lr Pistol.

As unless you are a member of the Uni's above, you will have to pay a min of €300 per year to shoot a pistol.

A .22lr Rifle and scope could be bought for that and €65 insurance per year there after (insurance is not law, but most shooters have it)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

This thread has gone so far off topic that it no longer resembles the OP's original question.

Fact is the OP asked about pistol shooting NOT rifle shooting. If he/she has no land permissions or is looking to do target shooting then the question of range fees is pointless as he/she would have to pay them for a rifle OR a pistol.

So suggesting getting a .22lr rifle when the thread is about Air Pistols is pointless and not what was asked. If the OP shows an interest in .22lr rifle shooting then by all means post suggestions.

To that end either keep all posts/replies in line with the theme of the thread or refrain from posting.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

So unless you are a student, alumni or staff of them Universities the answer is no....
    ...or unless you join an Irish Pony Club club that shoots tetrathlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Pistol and rifle are not the same. If he wants to get into pistol, advising him to shoot rifle is terrible advice, as if he wants to target shoot, then he has to join a club one way or another, and if he wanted to hunt, then air pistol wouldn't have been what he wanted anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I did consider getting a target air pistol but they seem very expensive even compared to .22 lr pistols , added to that the hastle of getting a licence for it , is there no way that the dept of justice could not be lobbied to make licencing of low powered air pistols easier, eg no licence neccessary just an authorisation from the super ?

http://www.edinkillie.co.uk/ecatalog/firearms-air-pistols-c-88_28.html?osCsid=h0gaqlbssfisv2rvd12q642r12

They have been in the past...

That said, my Izzy was bought new and delivered from the US for a total of just over €250. So target air pistols are only expensive if you go top-of-the-line (which no newbie will be able to use to their full potential for at least a year). And face it, you can't get into smallbore rifle for less than eight or nine grand if you go top-of-the-line new for kit...

They have been in the past...

That said, my Izzy was bought new and delivered from the US for a total of just over €250. So target air pistols are only expensive if you go top-of-the-line (which no newbie will be able to use to their full potential for at least a year). And face it, you can't get into smallbore rifle for less than eight or nine grand if you go top-of-the-line new for kit...

They are the only ones i could find online , i'd consider the izh35m .22lr but i don't think they are made anymore .

No, but there are others in its price range, and there's second-hand as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

I would love to get a .22lr Hand gun for target shooting. The only thing is there is a large yearly membership to be paid as you have to join a club and I couldn't find anything cheaper than €400 near to where I live.

Anyway when i get a few Bob together I wil hopefully get around to getting one.

Unfortunatly as I am only a commener/peasant I can't join any of the college clubs for €5.

A lot of the clubs that had waiting lists for membership during the celtic tiger days are now advertising for members, it might be worth approaching any clubs you're interested in and asking can they do easier terms.

• Advertisement

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    Unfortunatly as I am only a commener/peasant I can't join any of the college clubs for €5.
    Don't blame the clubs - I know we tried to change that for years when I was in DURC. We weren't even allowed to let other NUI students be members (some of the WTSC juniors were in other NUI colleges within walking distance and we couldn't let them be members because of the college rules).

Advertisement