Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big Bale size

• 05-07-2011 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Is there a difference in bale size off different balers. A lot of people say the Fusion makes a bigger bale and is better value price wise. More say Welger. Know a guy whos got a John Deere 578 baler and says theres no difference in size or amount packed in. So just wondering from a price wise value point of view. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

The guy with the Deere would say that wouldn't he;)

Have only ever used Welger bales ourselves and they are rock solid.

People say that Welger and Mchale bales are far bigger but i can't say either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭barryoc1

There is even a difference between the fusion 1 and 2 bales. Fusion 2 are bit bigger and 4 inches wider roughly. Size of bales can depend alot on the power in the tractor and the way the pressure is set on the baler also. I would def say the Fusion bales are the biggest i have ever had. But it is driven with a Fendt 716 so serious amount of stuff being jammed in. The John deere 575 baler didnt make bales as good but it was only pulled with a fendt 514.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

What about the number of knifes, is it possible to run a chopper baler with a reduced knife set?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

between the 3 you mention if operated properly there is very little in it weight wise in similar circumstances with the welgar being the heaviest, then fusion and then JD but you maybe talking as little as 50kgs per bale. having a wiegher on farm comes in handy at times. other makes are well back regards weight

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Alibaba

Thanks for yere opinions lads. A lot of farmers i know swear by Fusion and feel theyre much better value for money. I use a Welger guy myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭barryoc1

Grecco wrote: »
    What about the number of knifes, is it possible to run a chopper baler with a reduced knife set?

Yes it is. Can take out the knives handy enough. Easier on the tractor and baler if every second knife is taken out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Fusion 2 and Welger 245 exact same chamber size.
    http://www.mchale.net/index.php/en_US/CCShop/2/11/4/4/105

http://www.lely.com/en/forage-harvesting/baling/round-balers-with-fixed-chamber/welger-rp-245/specifications_32#tab

Couldn't be bothered checking others as these two should be your only choice, Welger with positive lock and more knives will win:cool:

The man driving will make the difference tho as will wilting, row size and knives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 G.U.R

the lad that used to bale ours ran welgers for years. Then he got a fusion. I think they made a much better bale.
    I'd always rather see the fusion coming in the gate. Actually had both baling one year and when you went into a field of wraped bales you could tell which machine made which. The fusion held its shape much better and was more uniform i'd say. Not much difference in weight though. He's got rid of the welger and running 2 fusions this year.

Also the bales defo have got bigger. 6 rows of bales used to be no problem on our bale trailer. Now it can be a struggle

Who was on here a while back claiming their RP12 was making bigger bales than a F550, baling side by side :pac:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Who was on here a while back claiming their RP12 was making bigger bales than a F550, baling side by side :pac:

Think thats me your referring too...That aint what i was claiming though ;)

• Advertisement

pajero12 wrote: »
    Think thats me your referring too...That aint what i was claiming though ;)

:D
    Close enough;)

Just checked there, RP220 have the same chamber size as todays ones, so a possible explanation for everyone thinking Fusion make bigger bales is more HP needed for them:confused:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

:D
    Close enough;)

Just checked there, RP220 have the same chamber size as todays ones, so a possible explanation for everyone thinking Fusion make bigger bales is more HP needed for them:confused:

Eh no, but we won't disagree. :P

Definitely, contractors are running bigger tractors, But still It all comes down to the row in front of the reel.
    In my opinion every haybob in the country should be scrapped for silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Swinefluproof

pajero12 wrote: »
    Eh no, but we won't disagree. :P

Definitely, contractors are running bigger tractors, But still It all comes down to the row in front of the reel.
    In my opinion every haybob in the country should be scrapped for silage.

+1 If a haybob was to be used for silage then would it be called a silagebob????? Like someone said to me lately "Using a haybob for silage is like using a toothbrush to clean your arse"

Bales depend on the pilot, quality and dry matter content of grass, horses and speed of tractor and the width of the row being picked up

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭countygorey

Was looking at vidon u tube the welger 245 bales seem alot smaller than the 235 bales wat do ye think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭iano93

Are all bales nowadays chopper balers? What length roughly are they set to chop?
    Are any of your contractors baling 20ft swarths?
    I know of one who groups rows after being wilted in 10's ahead of the baler, would seem to make a very solid bale...
    I definitly dont like the quanyity nor structure of rows the haybob produces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭iano93

Are all bales nowadays chopper balers? What length roughly are they set to chop?
    Are any of your contractors baling 20ft swarths?
    I know of one who groups rows after being wilted in 10's ahead of the baler, would seem to make a very solid bale...
    I definitly dont like the quanyity nor structure of rows the haybob produces

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭valtra8150

welger and mchale balers are the exact same. before the f550 was made mchale were getting there pickup reele from welger in a factory in turkey or some where round there and that factory went bust and mchale went over and baught that factory and now makes the f550 out there but also sullied parts for the welger baler. when mchale were macking there balers they were supposed to of copyed some of the welger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Where we are located, its nearly impossible to judge which bale is best because vritually every contractor in a 5-10 mile radius uses Mchale 550s or fusion! In my opinion though, the size of the bale is more to do with the man on the tractor, and the horse power of the tractor. 5/6 years ago, our contractor used a Krone Round Pack (Was always happy with the bales), one winter we bought a few bales that was made from another contractor running a round pack, with a simmilar HP tractor. they were all buns!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I never owned or operated a round baler, but it always appeared to me that any of them could be set or 'doctored' to suit.......... the contractor.

I can only talk about my own experience. Before the modern balers came around, I found the RP200's to make an excellent bale for me, powered at the time with Zetor Crystals.

In recent years I've had bales of hay baled with a fusion that sagged within a few days. Although baled silage baled by the same baler made good silage, I thought it was the wrap that kept them together. I wouldn't let the experience make me tar all fusions with the same brush. I think they're a good baler. I do reckon however that the contractor was scimping on the net. I could be wrong.

I was so peeved with the fusion hay bales that I switched contractor the last time I made wraps. He ran 2 modern Welgers on Case MX's. Bales were wrapped with a Mchale wrapper. Within a few days I helped a neighbour to draw his bales who had got the lad with the fusion. It was much easier get in around the fusion bales than the Welger with my carrier. That was the 'acid test' for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Muckit wrote: »

I do reckon however that the contractor was scimping on the net. I could be wrong.

It is more likely that he was scrimping on power and not packing it tight enough so that he could have more bales for you. A good bale won't sag no matter if there is too little or too much net on it.
    I was so peeved with the fusion hay bales that I switched contractor the last time I made wraps. He ran 2 modern Welgers on Case MX's. Bales were wrapped with a Mchale wrapper. Within a few days I helped a neighbour to draw his bales who had got the lad with the fusion. It was much easier get in around the fusion bales than the Welger with my carrier. That was the 'acid test' for me.[/]

Glass half empty/half full situation. Fusion bales could be easier to get in around because they hadn't sagged, whereas the welger bales might have sagged.

Its only my opinion, so it doesn't count for a lot. My contractor still uses a Welger RP200 with twine, but only charges €2.50 per bale. My T5050 with double bale carrier can handle 2 bales from a McHale F550 a lot easier than it can handle 2 bales from my contractor's welger.

Its all down to the driver and the baler settings IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

there are so many variables to contend with when talking about the best bales, these are:
    • Age/Condition of baler
    • Tractor Horse Power
    • Operator experience
    • quality of sward (hay bob vs conditioner)
    • Dry matter content
    • number of knives used
    • quality of crop (stalky first cut/leafy second cut)

all these effect the quality of the bales produced, so its hard to pick the best bailer!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

bale size is all down to the man using it and the volume of crop and speed, the sooner we change to paying by weight or per acre or some other system the better especially straw, just a few points the best bales we have had were from a man using a welger one year never been bettered since, but he doesnt bale anymore also i have heard the lads drawing the bales around the country say the welger is better because of the locking on the tailgate? the bales are the same size all the time and load better, mchale wouldnt be far behind either, krone was the worst,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Attie

never owned or operated a round baler, but it always appeared to me that any of them could be set or 'doctored' to suit.......... the contractor.

Muckit
    Ye hit the nail on the head there.
    long years ago got a neighbour to bail with a Welger the bails were all wasted 5 acres gone disaster :eek: oh by the way rappers were very thin on the ground so we used bags.

The next year another neighbour who had a Krone and was not afraid to use her. she was belt driven made my bales but asked him to put as much in bale as he could the result was we could not get the bales into the bags had to get them wrapped t'was mighty stuff.

Take to long to tell all the story but some of the wrapping got ripped of and about 3 lay not used for a couple of years and just to tidy the place up decided to feed them to stores out side in March, cut the rest of the wrapping of to discover waste on outside of bale 4/5” but middle good so setting bale partiality on the ground pulled the middle out of it and every bit was eaten.
    Not hard to work out who baled for me from then on.

I’m told their are new breed of belt bailers out there that can make 6×4/5 round bales this would be a saving on wrap,net, transport and feed out if feeding numbers, today’s tractors would not have a problem handling them anyone know of or use the like :confused:

the only way you could determinate which bale is bigger is in the same field same day then switch balers and with the same tractor and driver and revs and pack them to the same on the clock then you might have a chance but it would still be hard

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Swinefluproof

I've been baling for 18 years and have used Welgers, John Deeres and Mchales. I currently have 2 McHales and to be honest the only reason I have them is because they take grass much quicker than anything else I had. If you have a good driver you will get good bales. If you have a guy that wants to be seen driving around the place at a rate of knots you will have bad bales. My F550 would be used on anything from 110hp to 150hp and will have the same quality of bale once you take into account that you need to slow down (or rev up) for a lower hp tractor.
    Weighing bales, as somebody suggested earlier, will only work if you have a number of different balers in the same field at the same time. It is very seldom that you will have the same weather conditions, dry matter content of grass or grass quality in any 2 fields on different days.
    I have found out however over the years that one of the biggest deciding factors in bale quality is the sward that is being picked up. I have baled after 8 ft conditioners, 10 ft conditioners, 10 ft doubled with a sward belt, a raked row and the dreaded haybob. A raked row will always come out on top IMO. Most of my customers want me to rake now because they see the difference it makes. Not only have you a better quality bale but you also reduce ground compaction.
    Basically if you have a good driver who knows the limitations of the machine and he is picking up a good sward of grass then you will have good bales whether he uses a 20 year old tractor and baler or brand new ones. If you change any of the variables then you automatically change the outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭bt12

i have baled a fair few bales with different balers think the f550 is a great baler but needs plenty of power, was using 130hp case and was under pressure on hilly ground. wilting makes a big difference too, you can make a good solid bale but if the swarth isnt wilted enough it is still going to sag

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

valtra8150 wrote: »
    the only way you could determinate which bale is bigger is in the same field same day then switch balers and with the same tractor and driver and revs and pack them to the same on the clock then you might have a chance but it would still be hard

Anyone hear about the 'unofficial' john deere baler trial carried out baling silage near templetuohy last summer?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

there is certain types of grasses out there that will simply sagg out after being baled and out of any make of baler and it doesn matter how slow the driver travels at . then there s other types of grass that will natuarly pack into a good firm bale no matter wat speed the baler travels at .

6480 wrote: »
    there is certain types of grasses out there that will simply sagg out after being baled and out of any make of baler and it doesn matter how slow the driver travels at . then there s other types of grass that will natuarly pack into a good firm bale no matter wat speed the baler travels at .

usually first cut packs good and secound cut usually does sag

• Advertisement
Advertisement