Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Listeners Being Misled

• 05-07-2011 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I'm referring specifically to iWake Up with Dave O'Connor on iRadio. He pre-recorded an interview with The Wanted last Wednesday (29th June). But when the interview aired yesterday morning (4th July) during it I lost count of the number of times Dave said it was live with The Wanted. He even ended the interview by saying that The Wanted were going to perform their single live in studio. Totally misleading was it not?

I tried to ask Dave about this. I posted the question on his Facebook page this morning. He promptly deleted my comment and blocked me out of his page! It seems you have to agree with everything he says and tell him how great he is to be allowed post on his Facebook page. Because Dave seems so determined to keep me quiet about this it got me wondering if a DJ is allowed to deceive his listeners in such a manner? So since I cant get my question answered there I have come to Boards!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I don't really see what the problem is. The vast majority of interviews/sessions etc would be pre-recorded, and played as live.

The only misleading thing I don't like about pre-recorded shows is when the presenter encourages listeners to text during a pre-recorded show. I remember Ray Foley going off for a couple of days and recording the programme in its entirety, and encouraging listeners to text in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bryan1985

I don't really see what the problem is. The vast majority of interviews/sessions etc would be pre-recorded, and played as live.

At the time I didnt really see it as a big issue, just thought it was a bit misleading to liteners. But the fact that he promptly deleted my question and blocked me out of his facebook page suggests it was something he really wants to keep quiet about. Why if he done nothing wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭mstan

I would have thought it would be ok if the original recording was broadcast live but if it was prerecorded then no way should that be allowed. I actually heard that interview yesterday and was sure the Wanted were in studio at the time because of the number of times it was stated the interview was live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,747 ✭✭✭squonk

OP I'd be inclined to say you were overreacting normally, BUT for the fact the DJ went to lengths to delete your comment and block you from the FB page.

A clarification or just an apology on the DJ's part would have done I think.

I can't say why he'd delete comments, he would be the only one able to tell you that, but why would he apologise for playing a pre-recorded interview?

"Live in studio" is a regular phrase used. As for them performing live, they were. As in, he wasn't playing the recorded for radio version, they were performing it. Whether it was broadcast live, recorded yesterday, last week, or last year is irrelevant really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

Do you have an exact copy of your comment?
    If it was sarcastic or in any way abusive, or not within the tone of his facebook page, you can't blame him. Anybody would do the same.

In any case, he can control who puts what on his facebook page, you don't have a right to use it.

Secondly, live in this sense is often interpreted as being a live recording in studio, not that they are playing for you "live".

TBH there are much more misleading things happening on the radio than this non-issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bryan1985

chicken fingers, the exact Facebook comment was...
    Can you answer a question for me Dave? We all know you pre-recorded an interview with The Wanted last week. You told us enough times. But when the interview aired this morning during it you kept saying it was live with The Wanted. Bit misleading was it not?

I too didnt think it was a big issue at the time. But the effort Dave went to to keep me quiet suggested otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I don't see the issue myself, radio is about creating an image in the listeners mind, sometimes the reality is all together different, it's no bid deal.

Re your facebook comment being deleted, facebook is very public, radio presenters may well be reluctant to engage in the type of discussion you instigated as he's in a no win situation from the outset and the chaces of it causing him trouble are quite high, I think he made the right call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Nova play pre-recorded stuff too....Loo-ezzzz Molony on saturday evenings mysteriously gets texts from listeners "live".......:confused:....imo its a bit of an insult to the listeners if the jocks cant be arsed working a shift..give it to someone who cares enough to do it live...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

The Muppet wrote: »
    I don't see the issue myself, radio is about creating an image in the listeners mind, sometimes the reality is all together different, it's no bid deal.

Misleading listeners is a huge deal. If you stated an interview and performance were 'live in the studio' on UK radio when it was a pre-record, and a listener complained to OFCOM or the BBC Trust, the producer would be in deep sh*t. Maintaining listener trust in a station is very important, or they'll listen to another station, or continue to listen but refuse to text/email in or enter competitions.

I'm not familiar with the broadcasting code in Ireland but i'd like to think it's similar. OP maybe you should email the station manager about this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Storm in a teacup if you ask me. It happens all the time. I wouldn't be offended that he has deleted your comments. After all it is his Facebook page and it may present itself as a tool for interacting with listeners but has nothing to do with iRadio. Alot of presenters are responsable for their own Facebook/Twitter accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Byan1985 I'm not sure that I agree with your interpretation here. The central question must be did the presenter suggest it was a live show or that there was a group live in studio? From your post I'm thinking the latter and if so. I don't see your issue. It was the performance which was live and not the show. As to not getting a response, why should you? Jocks can't win and all that could happen is that it would turn in to a he said, she said discussion. Get over it, I'm sure it wasn't personal and honestly in my experience with some of the calls, texts etc I've received on air, I'd be slow to enter into any discussion. If you feel strongly enough about it, then email the station PD. He / she will likely respond to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I've just had a quick look through the BCI's broadcasting code and, incredibly, it would seem there's nothing in there about misleading listeners into thinking a programme or a section of a programme is live when it is actually a pre-recorded.

Only in Ireland, folks!

eth0_ wrote: »
    I've just had a quick look through the BCI's broadcasting code and, incredibly, it would seem there's nothing in there about misleading listeners into thinking a programme or a section of a programme is live when it is actually a pre-recorded.

Only in Ireland, folks!

Are you being serious?

Like I said earlier, I don't like when a pre-recorded programme encourages listeners by texting in, when it clearly wont be read, never mind read out on air.

But the variety of reasons for small segments of a programme is so long I don't think they could be listed.

What about pre-recording a band to allow it to be mixed down to sound better?

What about pre-recording on air phone calls and putting them out ten minutes later? (Ray Foley does that all the time AFAIK)

Why would any of that be a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JohnP199

Seen a similar situation with Dave O'Connor's FaceBook page last week. He made a snide and petty comment about Ray Foley. But when Dave's Facebook "friends" stood up for and defended Foley he quickly deleted the entire post. OP, he does it all the time. If someone disagrees with him/points out mistakes/asks questions he doesnt like etc the comment WILL be deleted. The guy cannot except any form of criticism, be it constructive or otherwise.

As for the interview. Whether or not it was against the BCI's broadcasting code shouldnt matter. There was absolutely not reason why or need for Dave to keep saying it was live when in fact it was pre-recorded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Two things:

1) Good commercial radio is all a facade. All that matters is that listeners tune it. Most radio shows will make things up and do things like this all the time.

2) A lot of djs have very thin skins when you criticise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Honestly not a bit surprised to see a thread like this about Dave O'Connor. How he was kept on after the iRadio merger is beyond me. The guy is one of the most condecending and deceitful people on radio, a topic I raised in a thread a few months back.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056192790
    I moved up to Galway a few months ago. Since then I have started listening to iRadio. A good station. Very refreshing compared to the usual stuff. Laid back, doesnt take itself too seriously. Exactly what I was looking for from a radio station.

However, Dave O'Connor who is on in the morning is one person who doesnt do it for me. The show just seems so fake. So set-up. Tries to be funny but fails most of the time. I have to admit some of the iJacker pranks have been top notch but most of them are just cringe-worthy. The latest being a call he made to some local supermarkets. Now first of all can I ask you to listen to these two videos:

and from Dave....

Notice anything familiar? Now I dont mind someone using another persons material. But since then Dave has claimed that he never heard the original and the this iJacker call was all his own idea. For f**k sake! How stupid does he think people are? At least he could man up and admit he copied the original.

Also colleagues of mine have told me how in the past he would tell listeners about certain guests that were going to be on the show (Daithi O'Shea, Rosanna Davidson etc.). Yet it always ended the same way. Something happened off air a few minutes before the interview was due to happen and these people then conveniently (for O'Connor) they refused to go on air. Again give you listeners intelligence some credit. You obviously never had these people lined to come on air. But its bad enough lying to the listeners, you also make these "celebrities" look bitter and petty for "refusing" to go on air.

Advertisement