Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New graphics card, cant/wont boot up

Options
  • 05-07-2011 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I tried installing my first ever graphics card the other day and failed to pass the very first hurdle, booting up my machine...

It goes to the initial red and white COMPAQ screen but no further and it doesnt allow you to enter the BIOS from there or anything, it just hangs.

The graphics card is a Gigabyte 9400gs, the mobo is by ECS with a pentium 4 processor and its running Win7 32bit with 2gigs of ram, oh yeah and a 300w power source and its a Compaq Presario SR2009UK BIOS version 3.19. There is an update available for the BIOS but i think its only if youre running xp? or am i wrong there?

So the question any reason a graphics card wouldnt let you past the boot up screen? Its very frustrating i cant find a solution on the net anywhere or even anyone with a similar problem! At this stage i'm presuming I'm the problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

my first reaction would be that there isn't enough power with 300W so you might need to upgrade your PSU

could be wrong though so just wait and see has anyone else any advise

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭jimmy_t

Thanks John,
    The recommended wattage for the graphics card is 300W so it should be enough but maybe its dipping just below that or maybe its beginning to fail or something?
    It must be either that or a bad card is my guess?
    I was really hoping it was something simpler!
    So first to check the card in the another machine and if it works ill buy a new PSU. All this just for a HDMI out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

yeah just try it in another computer - if it works in the second computer well you know there something wrong with the first computer...

also just try booting up the first without the new card and use the old setup you had - just make sure something else hasn't happened to break just as you were upgrading - ya never know.. you could have been really unlucky

Advertisement