Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hay

• 05-07-2011 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Did anybody get any made before the rain came last night?
    I am looking for about 35 bales to feed to calves. How much is it going to make this year? I was talking to a neighbour that made some, baled with a welger profi baler he says. Now I am 6'2" and 14stone 6 and I couldn't turn these over. They are a monster bale. He wants €25 per bale. I reckon for the amount of hay in them I will buy from him. How much per bale are you all hearing about the country. I am in north Wexford/south Wicklow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Did anybody get any made before the rain came last night?
    I am looking for about 35 bales to feed to calves. How much is it going to make this year? I was talking to a neighbour that made some, baled with a welger profi baler he says. Now I am 6'2" and 14stone 6 and I couldn't turn these over. They are a monster bale. He wants €25 per bale. I reckon for the amount of hay in them I will buy from him. How much per bale are you all hearing about the country. I am in north Wexford/south Wicklow.

nothing wrong with that price id say, a few lads around me got some but id say it could have done with another day or two, it will be hard to get hay the way this year is going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Good price if decent bales and more importantly the hay was fit, I baled stuff yesterday that was so close, another day:mad: Very little hay made this year and nearly everything is done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Now I am 6'2" and 14stone 6 and I couldn't turn these over. They are a monster bale.

I'm no expert but the man that does our bailing said if you can stand a 4 x 4 bale up on you're own it should be wrapped. Is it a 4 x 4 bale or 4 x 5? that you are talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

RobinBanks wrote: »
    I'm no expert but the man that does our bailing said if you can't stand a 4 x 4 bale up on you're own it should be wrapped. Is it a 4 x 4 bale or 4 x 5? that you are talking about?

4x4 but I know the stuff was fit. I windrowed it for the neighbour yesterday morning and it was fit and got baled without rain at about 3 yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

RobinBanks wrote: »
    I'm no expert but the man that does our bailing said if you can't stand a 4 x 4 bale up on you're own it should be wrapped. Is it a 4 x 4 bale or 4 x 5? that you are talking about?

4x4 but I know the stuff was fit. I windrowed it for the neighbour yesterday morning and it was fit and got baled without rain at about 3 yesterday
    It's almost impossible to make round bales of hay without heating in this weather. If it were small square bales there would be no problem. Wait for a week or ten days and push your hand to the middle of a few bales if there is any bit of heat you will soon find out whether it was fit to able or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭babybrian

baled hay yesterday evening(mad fit), it was cut monday last week and got rain tuesday and wednesday then got good weather after that and got shook out twice some days.. Light enough crop too so was easy enough save. 90 bales off 12 acres. Lovely green soft hay that the calves will love.. :D

Now need some weather to get the Shannon callows for hay but no panic on that

Advertisement