Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mono Pitched Roof

Options
  • 05-07-2011 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭

Hi myself and the Mrs are in the early design stages of our build and are wondering on the costs associated with a mono pitched roof as opposed to your more run of the mill Pitched roof.

Now in our simple logic it would make sense that the mono pitch should come in cheaper due to a reduction in materials etc. But simple logic can often be proved wrong.

Any one have experience with putting a mono pitch on their house or a clients house want to weight in?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

what does your architect say?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Well, in my experience, and I've done a few, you're right - mono pitch is cheaper, simpler, and much faster to fit as well.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 46,143 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Planning may be an issue though.

Not in Galway atmo, based on work I've been involved in, even in rural.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

BryanF wrote: »
    what does your architect say?

Well our Arch is not someone that normally works on residential houses. But we like his style and previous work. But due residential not being his normal line of work he admits himself that he's out of the loop on pricing these days. He did agree it should work out cheaper but was worried the fact they are a non-standard style here could bump up the prices.
    galwaytt wrote: »
    Well, in my experience, and I've done a few, you're right - mono pitch is cheaper, simpler, and much faster to fit as well.

That's good to hear at least our simple logic is not failing us just yet :). And seeing as you are Galway based we might have to pick your brains when the time comes :).

As for planning being an issue there are already examples of non standard roofs in the area. But we're not 100% on the mono-pitch as the storage/extension space an attic in a pitched roof with hips or gable ends gives is something we might op for over the mono-pitch. So this was just me pondering things and sticking the feelers out to see if cost would be something else against a mono-pitch.

• Advertisement

kayos wrote: »
    Well our Arch is not someone that normally works on residential houses. But we like his style and previous work. But due residential not being his normal line of work he admits himself that he's out of the loop on pricing these days. He did agree it should work out cheaper but was worried the fact they are a non-standard style here could bump up the prices.

That's good to hear at least our simple logic is not failing us just yet :). And seeing as you are Galway based we might have to pick your brains when the time comes :).

As for planning being an issue there are already examples of non standard roofs in the area. But we're not 100% on the mono-pitch as the storage/extension space an attic in a pitched roof with hips or gable ends gives is something we might op for over the mono-pitch. So this was just me pondering things and sticking the feelers out to see if cost would be something else against a mono-pitch.

Dormer's and Hip roof's are not good for attic space, and are much more expensive to build. It would be cheaper, and more useful to provide an extra room in your footprint instead.

Other mono-pitches in Galway attached:

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Is that a zinc roof on the second photo? That surely adds to the expense?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 coastcooler

i am same have a monopitch roof to my kitchen out back of house, waiting on planning at mo regarding this. will this be costly? no guidance from professionals.

Regarding the last post, I did get planning for a mono pitch roof. Not looking forward to price of it ;-(

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Telgere

Got approval for zinc mono pitch in rural setting.

Price is 20k for fitting from one supplier.

TsshQaB.jpg
    Tb9xxGr.jpg

• Advertisement

Oh wow 20k but looks like its covering your whole house, iv only a kitchen to cover!! I'm dread cost;-(

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Shauna1408

Dormer's and Hip roof's are not good for attic space, and are much more expensive to build. It would be cheaper, and more useful to provide an extra room in your footprint instead.

Can i ask do you know who the builder was here for the roofs you attached? Need recommendations for someone to do our house. Its a monopictched roof inbetween to hip roofs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement