Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

directing old site to new?

Options
  • 05-07-2011 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi I'm currently making a new website.

I am using the same company name example.com (old site is example.ie) would it be advised from an seo point of view to domain re-direct my .ie to my new .com as this will be my main website now?

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Depends on a few factors

Yes, if you are indexed in Google under .ie and that's to be no more, then you should definitely redirect to the .com

If your running under apache you can redirect using your .htacess file. Just be careful to back it up first!

From www.example.ie to www.example.com is fairly straight forward if you're keeping the same url structure, gater the .com. If that's changing then it becomes a little more complex.

I'd prefer if you had a scour around the likes of http://www.affiliatebeginnersguide.com/domains/redirection.html

which will give you some advice.

I'm not "hands on" there so don't wan't to give you instructions. I've done plenty of redirects but Regular expressions are not really my thing and its is sometimes a bit hit and miss!

I'd also make sure that you have a good 404 page, in case you miss anything in the redirect. It at least gets the punters to you site where the 404 page should give them plenty of options for your site.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You can use a 301 redirect to send all traffic from the old domain to the new one ..

But if you're redesigning the sites and URLs are changing etc., then you might need to spend some more time working out a mapping of the old pages to the new ones ..

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭market myself online

The best way to do this if you have already had pages in google is the following.

1. 301 redirects from each of the old pages on your old website to a new page on your new website.

2. For instance .ie/stuff 301 redirect to .com/stuff

3. You can either do it with .htaccess for all of your pages in one go or an html/php file for each page.

<snip: business details removed>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kunsajan

I started with Yahoo in November using one of their simple tools to build a site. I did one page and did not like the interface.

Advertisement