Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st televised Irish surf competition?

Options
  • 05-07-2011 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Has this happened yet and I havn't seen it? or are there problems preventing it happening appart from funding?
    I was just thinking as I watched a crap camogie match one day on tg4, how come with all the top international level surfers we have in this country and the quality of the Irish waves theres never a comp on the tele? Even the highlights of the some of the comps, I dont intend to start an anti-competition thread and im not a comp surfer myself, but surely It'd be as cost effective as recording a gaa match and it would have plenty of interest in the comunity and general public too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

I think David Atonborough did one, No wait, that was a programme about seals bobbing up and down in the water all day..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

We get great surf but we also get to much bad surf to be able perdict it and say it will be on at 4pm Sunday the 7th of August.

Also alot of people don't want comp here the thinking is if it's a home grown comp by local surfers fine - aka the tow surf in the NW this year but alot aren't keen on ASP RupCurls Search events here. The surf is quite, low key and not as bussy or hassled as other countries so why spoil that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

VNP wrote: »
    how come with all the top international level surfers we have in this country

LOL! Who's that? ....Slater must be quaking in his boots.

Why isn't there televised surf competitions in Ireland?

Who would be bothered watching it? I certainly wouldn't! Would sooner watch the GAA myself and I've been surfing 7-8 years at this stage.

Surfing is not as popular as some people believe in their own heads.

It's a bit like a tiddlywinks player wondering why they don't televise the tiddlywinks. In their own head they believe the whole world is playing tiddlywinks, everywhere they go all they see are tiddlywinks in cars and shops. Always getting excited for the next tiddlywinks game, thinking, eating, drinking tiddlywinks.

An absurd example but you get the drift.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

While I agree to an extont on the op's point I do not think there is an overall audience for it here. SOmetimes on tg4 their is an extreme sports show that show clips from the various surf and bodyboard tours.

Besides I much prefer to tune into redbull.com or similar and get my fix that way.

However after the success of Waveriders I do think there may be room for some Irish dvds like what has been happening in the UK, OZ, SA etc for yrs. More than enough talented surfers, boogers and videographers and waves for this to happen perhaps.

Anyways back to work for me,

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

Spacehopper I had typed your first and valid point then removed it to make my idea more concise :) Its also good the way theres not much of a corporate aspect to the sport in this country, possibly coverage from the most local tv station would ruin whatever it is thats there, maybe not?
    Its probably also true that the internet provides us all with more than enough options to see some of these type of events if and when we want nowadays,
    Theres not that many events tho really every year, 1 or maybe 2 indigenous non sponsor saturated programmes a year would possibly inspire some non tiddley wink obsessed folk to see whats available to do in their lives, maybe im thinking up too altruistic thoughts for application in this country:D I ll just shut up so eh, and be glad i can watch the obscure gaa matches ha ha high level athletes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement