Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting number shapes in cakes

Options
  • 05-07-2011 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I'm making a 21 shaped sponge cake for my friend's 21st tomorrow. I googled how to do it and it seems that I would just cut it out of the sponge. I was then planning on using the leftover bits to make a second layer but this may not work out evenly. I wish to then cover it with sugarpaste icing. The only ready rolled ones available are white but I would prefer to use a colour so looks like I'll be making it myself. Does anyone have any tips? This is also my first time baking a cake ;/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

Sugarpaste is available in a range of colours but usually in 5kg boxes which might be a bit much for what you want. Buy the white stuff and colour it yourself, no point going to hassle of making the sugarpaste.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Keeb

phormium wrote: »
    Sugarpaste is available in a range of colours but usually in 5kg boxes which might be a bit much for what you want. Buy the white stuff and colour it yourself, no point going to hassle of making the sugarpaste.

Thanks! How do I colour it myself? Literally just pour food colouring onto it??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Paste rather than liquid colours work best although I have used liquid before. Where are you based and we can recommend somewhere to buy paste colours/coloured icing.

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Paste rather than liquid colours work best although I have used liquid before. Where are you based and we can recommend somewhere to buy paste colours/coloured icing.

oh. I live in Knocklyon in Dublin. I tried Tesco and Dunnes for ready rolled sugarpaste icing and they didn't have it so I checked kitchen compliments in town and they say they only have the white one on their website. So you're suggesting to cover it with the white sugarpaste and then paste another colour on top??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

No need to cover it twice, buy ordinary sugarpaste (ready to roll, not ready rolled) and colour it by kneading in paste food colour into it. What colour are you trying to make it?

Tesco should definitely have the sugarpaste, they even do their own brand.

• Advertisement

phormium wrote: »
    No need to cover it twice, buy ordinary sugarpaste (ready to roll, not ready rolled) and colour it by kneading in paste food colour into it. What colour are you trying to make it?

Tesco should definitely have the sugarpaste, they even do their own brand.
    oh cool thanks! I havn't decided yet haha. I hope it turns out well! :D

Advertisement