Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you a passive or active radio listener?

• 05-07-2011 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

So you are in a room be it at home, work or in the car and you realise "X" is not on today or that the next three songs is a chatter free triple play from an artist you just hate, do you just leave it or make lunge for the dial? Is radio just background noise or something that you are engaged with?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

over-active:D

I seem to spend most time on newstalk, I would usually jump over to the PK show in the morning, but I avoid it when dungheap is on.

Others I switch over to avoid would include Finnucane,Duffy, Tubridy, Blannad, Mooney, Neena ni nawna, Bobby kerr, Ray Darcy, Mary O'Rouke, Orla barry & anyone with a D4 accent.
    Anything by Boyzone, westlife or any other of the Louis Walsh puppets would see a rapid change in Frequency also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

I tend to favour Newstalk,well until George Hook comes on, then I switch to today Fm.So the chance of Rhianna or Katie Perry coming on and disturbing my ears is very minimal. I would text and call into radio also so, yeah I am an active listener in that sense..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Very active listener - I would change the dial numerous times while driving so as not to have to listen to certain songs/artists or presenters.

Unfortunaly can't do that at work as its piped in through speakers in the wall. How I hate listening to 2fm in the mid-morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

More passive now thanks to the demise of good talk on local radio especially early morning or lunchtime.

Still actively listen to national radio but only on Sundays for sport, Morning Ireland/Newstalk and Drivetime now and again.

Music radio is all the same. Indistinguishable.

SAVE ROSCOMMON HOSPITAL 2011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

I'm often an active radio istener. I often enter little quizzes on Radio Ulster and Downtown Radio. And I like it when they mention me on air.

I listen to various stations, from BBC Radio 3 and Radio Ulster to 2fm and Raidio na Gaeltachta. And if I hear something I don't like, such as a boring "comedy" on BBC Radio 4 Extra or a Beyoncé record on U105, I'll just switch over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

My trigger finger is ALWAYS on the volume button, whenever I listen to any station on the FM dial in Ireland. I am quicker on the draw to the mute button, than John Wayne ever was.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I'd be pretty active. There is some Radio Presenters that I despise, like HECTOR! and that idiot Colm Hayes (he has somehow managed to be more patronising than Joe Duffy!) and then there is one's that I hate to miss like Ray Foley and sometimes, Rick O Shea.

If Hector or Colm come on I will dive for the Radio dial, crashing the car in the process would be more favourable than listening to either of em.

When I'm just listening casually, I will skip between stations depending on what is on etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Definitely active - and very much so... but then I work in a fairly large commercial station, so I definitely have an active interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Catherine!

Quite active, especially with BBC Radio 1 and other 'hit music' stations here in Britain, as there's a lot of current hit songs that make me switch to other stations such as Absolute 80s on DAB. Music from slightly before my time tends to appeal to me more than current music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

mike65 wrote: »
    So you are in a room be it at home, work or in the car and you realise "X" is not on today or that the next three songs is a chatter free triple play from an artist you just hate, do you just leave it or make lunge for the dial? Is radio just background noise or something that you are engaged with?

I would say active. I tend to listen to those I know and have met over others and if they aren't on air I'd turn off the radio. I think the only presenter I listened to regularly for years that I haven't met was Andy Clarke on lmfm. I don't listen to radio that much at the moment though as I've no time. I tend to listen to podcasts of Dermot and Dave from 98fm now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Glad to see i'm not the only one. I would switch on average 5-6 times a day.
    Morning ireland or newstalk till 9.
    News talk till 10 (cant hack that fella on RTE).
    RTE at 10 (cant hack tom dunne on Newstalk).
    Kiberd at 12-1 on newstalk.
    News at 1 on RTE.
    After that it can be a mixed bag- usually end up on Radio Nova until 4.30 when it is flick between Newstalk, Today FM and RTE. If I am travelling anywhere after 7 in the evening its off the ball show.

Actually it could be more than 5-6 changes somedays!

Advertisement