Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

round bale grab for wrapped bales, hay and straw

• 05-07-2011 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

Was thinking of buying a bale grab, one of the ones with the paddles or hands on them, basically for stacking wrapped bales, which we dont do many and for stacking straw and hay hoping by using it for staw i could go a bale higher in the shed as i can only go 3 high at the moment but hoping i could get up 4 by grabbing two, one on top of the other

Any one got one and what is the pros and cons to them?
    one possible fault i see is the gap between bales where the paddle has to slide back out when you open them,
    would you loose much space on a trailer or in the shed this way ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

You mean these
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCNjeJO5zu3s027Z5EIHI86SY_WZELj5jtdxNI_ojBPqMU9ARYkA&t=1

Had one but only used it when wrapping in the yard, no good when handling wrapped bales off trailers, have an elephant trunk type one for that now, which is by far the best, also have the other type, big mistake buying that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Had one but only used it when wrapping in the yard, no good when handling wrapped bales off trailers, have an elephant trunk type one for that now, which is by far the best, also have the other type, big mistake buying that

What do you mean by elephant trunk type? And what was the other type of handler that was a big mistake?
    This sort of one?
    1213185964_P1010680.jpg

Yeah that one, still have it, works ok but this type is streets ahead, faster and no damage.

Full?id=6134382

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭DaNiEl1994

What do you mean by elephant trunk type? And what was the other type of handler that was a big mistake?
    This sort of one?
    1213185964_P1010680.jpg

these are handy enough although i'll agree they can be a mistake in the fact when stacking its awkward to get them out without damaging a bale, say you bring in 10 bale with it your nearly guarenteed to hole one if stacking tightly great machine for the likes of hay straw and unwrapped silage, but dont get me wrong can easily be used on wrapped silage just be a bit carful

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

You mean these

Yes this is the one i'm thinking of
    do like the elephant trunk type but if the height i'm looking for

• Advertisement

DaNiEl1994 wrote: »
    these are handy enough although i'll agree they can be a mistake in the fact when stacking its awkward to get them out without damaging a bale, say you bring in 10 bale with it your nearly guarenteed to hole one if stacking tightly great machine for the likes of hay straw and unwrapped silage, but dont get me wrong can easily be used on wrapped silage just be a bit carful

Wouldn't agree with you at all about bursting wrapped bales with that type of handler. Haven't used the other ones but i'd imagine the paddle one would be a pain in the backside and bales couldn't be stacked tight together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭barryoc1

Wouldn't agree with you at all about bursting wrapped bales with that type of handler. Haven't used the other ones but i'd imagine the paddle one would be a pain in the backside and bales couldn't be stacked tight together

Paddles are a great job. Putting wrapped bales on the trailer leave bout 4 inches between to make it easy to get em off quick. If stacked tightly just give a push to one side with paddles closed to create a gap when unloading. In the yard can stack very tight. 2 ways to do it. I grab top half of the bale. Forces in the bale a little at the top so you can reverse straight out and you dont touch the adjoining bale or wall with the paddles. But the bottom of the bale will be the same width. Bale fills out the space when you leave off the pressure. Alternative is to grab the bale in the middle. When you leave down the bale, tilt back the paddles. They slip up and out over the bale. Have stacked hundreds of bales in a day without tearing 1 bale with the paddles.

F.D wrote: »
    Yes this is the one i'm thinking of
    do like the elephant trunk type but if the height i'm looking for

Your idea should work but unless you catch both, there is a chance the top bale could try coming into the cab with you. No issue with stacking, can go nice and tight.

With bale stacking, practice make perfect but having used all types here, the trunk type is the winner.

Your idea should work but unless you catch both, there is a chance the top bale could try coming into the cab with you. No issue with stacking, can go nice and tight.

Was thinking the same so with straw i was planning on welding on two holders that i can slide 2 x 4ft bars into to stop that happening

fair enough i never thought about grabbing them in the middle before will try it, i found as i went to unload a bale and say i had to turn as i reversed out the far paddle would tear the bale on the way out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

You mean these

This is the type we have.
    I find it a powerful device. Jeff hit the nail on the head when he said practice makes perfect.
    In relation to using it with a trailer, we draw the bales green, then wrap on site.
    From the point of view tearing bales stacking them, again practice, practice, practice, and you'll put them fairly tight too!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Pacoa

I recon one of these would be the business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb5D4iZKXw4&feature=related

or one of these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjYh61SFY3U

Expensive though i think.

Them Stronga ones look the business alright, like i said i am trying to get a compromise so i can get the height stacking straw and hay to save on floor space in the shed,
    What price roughly are these ones with the paddles and which makes are best

Quite a few on Donedeal from €700-1100, new and used. Ours was a Nugent which was fine.

nugent mchale and fleming theyre all the same IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

This sort of one?
    1213185964_P1010680.jpg

but when you are stacking bales with these dont you put the bale on one of the bales underneath slightly off center and just open the handler and let the bale down through the handler ,not try and pull out from under it.never had a problem with it.also somtimes in a shed for hay/straw i put one bale on top of two horizontal and put the 3 up in one go. can go 4 high that way+my shed wont take 4 verticaly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Muckit wrote: »

Like the idea but dont think it would work for me, thanks anyway,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Like the idea but dont think it would work for me, thanks anyway,

F.D I have a rossmore handler for years now, its the simple 2 roller version similar to all the other brands, you remove the rollers if you want spikes etc, anyway i often stack hay bales vertically with it as well, its just a case of standing bales on end and just squeezing the rollers or spikes into sides and it holds it vertically no bother,very easy to release this way as well, if you want to stack 4 high vertically then then stack the first 2 as normal the put 2 on top of each other vertically outside the shed , squeeze shut on the bottom bale then and you should be able to lift the 2 together and get to stack the 4 vertically as you are still only lifting 3 high which the loader will do no bother..hope that makes some sense :rolleyes:

I've often stacked hay and straw vertically in the same way as vander described. The paddle type would probably be better for vertical stacking but the traditional type bale handler would be more versatile IMO

• Advertisement

F.D I have a rossmore handler for years now, its the simple 2 roller version similar to all the other brands, you remove the rollers if you want spikes etc, anyway i often stack hay bales vertically with it as well, its just a case of standing bales on end and just squeezing the rollers or spikes into sides and it holds it vertically no bother,very easy to release this way as well, if you want to stack 4 high vertically then then stack the first 2 as normal the put 2 on top of each other vertically outside the shed , squeeze shut on the bottom bale then and you should be able to lift the 2 together and get to stack the 4 vertically as you are still only lifting 3 high which the loader will do no bother..hope that makes some sense :rolleyes:

Thanks Vanderbadger it make perfect sense and you see exactly what i am trying to achieve never thought of doin it that way and it could be a better and cheaper option, would solve the problem of having the gap inbetween the bales too, do the bales ever slip through lifting them the way you described above.
    as always its good to get every ones opinion on things it opens your eyes a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Thanks Vanderbadger it make perfect sense and you see exactly what i am trying to achieve never thought of doin it that way and it could be a better and cheaper option, would solve the problem of having the gap inbetween the bales too, do the bales ever slip through lifting them the way you described above.
    as always its good to get every ones opinion on things it opens your eyes a bit

well in my shed its the roof thats the biggest issue as its very hard to get the 4th bale in without catching the roof structure so i usually just leave it at 3 high but if you have a high enough shed and take you time you will have no prob, 2 good bales ontop of each other vertically are pretty solid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭BalingMad

I have one of those twin arm roller bale handlers, my uncle has both. They are great for handling hay nd straw as you can carry two bales at once by using the spikes spread out. The paddle handler works very well stacking silage like bales. You can lock one are so it won't push out bale beside it when you open. You simply lift the loader up then, with the left paddle locked we work from left to right.
    That's all this handler is good for. I draw bales home in winter and paddle one cannot pick up bales which a welded together after months of sagging especially is they are stacked on their round.
    Paddle handler, great for stacking fresh bales of silage, other than that the other is a better all rounder.
    And from experience do not pick up two bales to make four high, your playing with fire, bale of hay slipped back down loader onto cab nd bent exhaust :(

Just an update Bought a paddle type one delighted with it, good and strong lifts the straw bales 4 high if i grab it at the very bottom of the bale, and doesent leave any gap at all really and stacks the silage perfectly loads very quick in the field, best of all no tearing of the net like with the tooth grab thanks for all the info

Advertisement