Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switchable graphics problem

Options
  • 05-07-2011 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone have any experience with the new generation i5's on laptops that allow switchable graphics? (Lenovo laptop thinkpad edge E520)
    I have an Intel HD 5000 integrated and a dedicated AMD Radeon HD 6630M. Problem is that most programs/Games don't seem to recognise the AMD GPU even when I have everything set to 'high performance' mode both via windows and via ATI catalyst control centre.
    I've tried it with Performance test from the CPU benchmark site, with Steam etc and all show INTEL HD as the GPU
    There seems to be a few forums around where people are having issues with this. If I try disable the Intel card via display adapter, Windows turns off the AMD GPU also saying "it's encountered a problem" - they both run off the same ATI driver.
    If I change to just the AMD card in BIOS will this affect anything major on my laptop? Any ideas how to get programs to recognise the AMD card.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

I've just bought an Acer Aspire 5750G and I think I'm in the same situation as you. As far as I can tell, games are using the integrated intel chip rather than the GT 540 M. Any suggestions how to make the dedicated card the default?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I might be thinking of Sonys but there should be a switch on the laptop itself to do this.

Advertisement