Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earth Tremor shakes Melbourne

Options
  • 05-07-2011 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

Earth Tremor shakes Melbourne 5th July 2011

Nine news reports in a 4.4 magnitude quake shook Melbourne and southern Victoria this morning.

The quake struck at 11.32am (AEST) and shook residents across the city for between 10 and 15 seconds.

A couple of 2.8 magnitude aftershocks were also recorded.

Adam Pascale, from the ES & S Seismology Research Centre, said the quake's epicentre was Korumburra in country Victoria, south-east of Melbourne.

Korumburra Hotel publican Troy Patterson said when the earthquake hit, the pub shook for about eight seconds, accompanied by a loud rumbling.

"The whole place literally shook," he told AAP.

"You would think a truck had driven through the pub."
    Social media users also reported feeling the quake strongly in Fitzroy, Knox, Lalor, Croydon and Boronia.

Debbie Marr said on Nine News' Facebook page that she felt the tremors in Lalor, in Melbourne's north.

"It shook my crystal cabinet," she wrote.

Jim Alsford, from Boronia, said the shake lasted for about five seconds and unnerved his cat.

Gippsland resident, Denise Guess, said the tremors shook her whole house but SES spokesman Lachlan Quick said no reports of damage had been received so far.
    Korumburra is a known hotbed for seismic activity, having been the epicentre for number of 4.5 magnitude quakes in recent years, including one in March 2009.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

I'm only a few miles away from this and didn't feel a thing . Some of my mates in the frankston and the city said they did .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Was in Hawthorn and heard it. Thought there was a big crash outside the factory yard or something. Didn't realise what had happened til i seen the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Another good shake there about 20 mins ago. Much stronger than this one last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

lg123 wrote: »
    Another good shake there about 20 mins ago. Much stronger than this one last year.

Was fair bit stronger alright; almost a disaster here, my bottle of Glenfiddich was a cm away from dropping off the cabinet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Jim Alsford, from Boronia, said the shake lasted for about five seconds and unnerved his cat.

My god the horror :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

5.3 would be pretty unnerving to anyone. The 3's and 4's I've felt in Wellington have been unsettling enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

I was in the cinema when this happened last night. Thought someone was shaking my chair! Best experience ever! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

Didn't notice a thing in Prahran

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

You all sit in piles of dollars over there so it cushions the shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Pugins wrote: »
    Didn't notice a thing in Prahran

The cinema I was in was on Chapel St, South Yarra.

Yeah this time i was n Oz n it shock for about 20 sec . Bit like when a big truck passes outside plus a low rumbling noise as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

The cinema I was in was on Chapel St, South Yarra.

Hey I'm not doubting there was an earthquake! Just saying we didn't notice it in our part of Prahran...

Advertisement